Star Wars episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Hearing it's crap.

Thanks Rian.
Really? I've only heard glowing reviews. Rumor is someone is impaled with a fantastical weapon and another character has their face melted off. Also, Rey is using Darth Maul's weapon at some point and it will be so satisfying.

Reactions: Gordyo5

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Really? I've only heard glowing reviews. Rumor is someone is impaled with a fantastical weapon and another character has their face melted off. Also Rey is using Darth Maul's weapon at some point and it will be so satisfying.
I'm one who doesn't trust the writers who work for a newspaper or large blog site; I often have a different opinion than they do. I watch a lot of people who have independent youtube channels and they all say it's not good.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm one who doesn't trust the writers who work for a newspaper or large blog site; I often have a different opinion than they do. I watch a lot of people who have independent youtube channels and they all say it's not good.
So snarky nerds that weren't ever going to be happy? Gotcha. Also, the sources were from the premier, not just media types.

• Agree
Reactions: interrobang

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
So reviews are popping up and it's not looking good. I am sure I will get spoiled before I see it next week but at least I can go in expecting the worst. I heard Lucas wasn't even at the premiere lol.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Good, good, let the hate flow through you...

upload_2019-12-18_10-28-22.png

Sounds exactly like I expected for a Jar Jar Abrams project.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Honestly I was afraid bringing back JJ because his storytelling and style is just different than Rian. Sounds like it's just an inconsistent story issue. Again, it just simply shows the brilliance of Feige. He wrapped up Endgame in a way that pretty much everybody was satisfied by. We're looking at the wrapup of a multi-decade story that has captivated the minds of generations of fans and it just sounds mismanaged, which is unfortunate.

• Agree
Reactions: srjclone and Die4Cy

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Honestly I was afraid bringing back JJ because his storytelling and style is just different than Rian. Sounds like it's just an inconsistent story issue. Again, it just simply shows the brilliance of Feige. He wrapped up Endgame in a way that pretty much everybody was satisfied by. We're looking at the wrapup of a multi-decade story that has captivated the minds of generations of fans and it just sounds mismanaged, which is unfortunate.
I thought Endgame was terrible compared to the rest of the Avengers. Just shows you how subjective it all really is.

• Agree
Reactions: interrobang

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I thought Endgame was terrible compared to the rest of the Avengers. Just shows you how subjective it all really is.

I thought it was weaker than a lot of people did. I thought Infinity War was a lot better for example. However, I did enjoy it overall and let's face it, I don't think you could even try and contrive the kind of controversy around that that has dogged this entire Disney trilogy.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I dare say the prequels were better than the sequels. At least those had an idea of what they wanted to be. Disney sacrificed narrative quality to produce the sequels too quickly. I'm still blown away they completely ignored all non-movie star wars material just to produce this tripe.

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering

Endgame suffered because it had to tie off strings from like 20+ previous movies. Considering how ambitious that is they did a fine job with it. If nothing else, people walked out of it seemingly satisfied with it.

How many people will walk out of star wars satisfied with it? I guess we'll see.

• Agree
Reactions: Triggermv

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I am looking forward to seeing it still. But my expectations are very low.

After TFA and TLJ you know it's just going to be an unsatisfying mess.

When an old friend you haven't seen in years passes away, you go to the funeral out of respect for the person you used to know. That's what this feels like.

I'll watch it at some point.
I'm odd, in that I enjoyed TLJ more than TFA, but neither is great.

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I'll watch it at some point.
I'm odd, in that I enjoyed TLJ more than TFA, but neither is great.

It's strange that if you liked TFA, you probably didn't like TLJ. I thought TLJ was flawed but appreciate what it did with the series (i.e., not regurgitating a previous movie). I do think there were some changes that should have been made to the film to make it better (e.g., let Rose die at the end; have silver storm trooper chase Finn to the gambling place, let rose do the gambling character's stuff and just have them get caught, rework the Leia space float to be a more reasonable/less trolly demonstration of the force, have Leia be the one to kamikaze the other fleet, go darker/rebellious with Luke's character and get rid of the weird Yoda moment, give Rey a reality check in there somewhere).

I think it was a good idea for a movie that was not executed well for a number of reasons including poor management. I guess I prefer an original movie with flaws over a retelling of the same story with new characters.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
It's strange that if you liked TFA, you probably didn't like TLJ. I thought TLJ was flawed but appreciate what it did with the series (i.e., not regurgitating a previous movie). I do think there were some changes that should have been made to the film to make it better (e.g., let Rose die at the end; have silver storm trooper chase Finn to the gambling place, let rose do the gambling character's stuff and just have them get caught, rework the Leia space float to be a more reasonable/less trolly demonstration of the force, have Leia be the one to kamikaze the other fleet, go darker/rebellious with Luke's character and get rid of the weird Yoda moment, give Rey a reality check in there somewhere).

I think it was a good idea for a movie that was not executed well for a number of reasons including poor management. I guess I prefer an original movie with flaws over a retelling of the same story with new characters.

I think there's a good connection there.
If someone really liked TFA, they probably really liked seeing the very first film again in its updated form like that.
That same person would see the beginning of TLJ and go "It really is Empire again!" Then the swerves and changes could tick them off.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneWanderer

CycloneWanderer

Nov 4, 2007
Wandering
I think there's a good connection there.
If someone really liked TFA, they probably really liked seeing the very first film again in its updated form like that.
That same person would see the beginning of TLJ and go "It really is Empire again!" Then the swerves and changes could tick them off.

Yeah, that pretty much describes my wife's experience. She walked in expecting Empire and once it deviated she only saw the flaws. I fell out of love with Star Wars after it became apparent that the extended universe was completely discarded so I really just walked into TLJ hoping for something new.