This is why Prohm must go........

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Also, to say Prohm should've known NWB was going to be the PG he was is a little ridiculous. NWB played sparingly the year before at the 3-guard spot.
You think he just guessed into it after two games? Give him credit for an early pull on experimenting with DJ/Wigginton at pg, but it’s surprising that they even went with it.

NWB played some pg in high school. He said this in the summer of 2017: “I think improving my shot will be a big thing. Just also working on my handle and being able to play at the point, handle the ball and bring it down”

NWB also said this during his redshirt year:
I’ve played a lot of point guard in practice while also getting in time at the two and the three. He believes he brings plenty to table.”

Given that, it’s not surprising Prohm knew NWB at pg needed to be considered as the best option:

As Iowa State coach Steve Prohm watched a practice this summer with Monte Morris, the fabulous point guard he had to replace this season, he seemed to have only two options.
Prohm could either go with senior Donovan Jackson or hand control of the offense to highly-touted freshman Lindell Wigginton, so Jackson could focus on scoring.
But Prohm also had a third notion in his head — to make 6-foot-5 junior Nick Weiler-Babb, the most experienced guard on the roster, his primary ball handler. When Morris asked Prohm if he had if he had ever thought of making Weiler-Babb his point guard, the coach knew he might be on to something
.”

Last edited:

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Prohm should've seen what many saw from Lindell in prep ball and realized he's not a PG. Coleman was Oak Hill's PG and Lindell is a volume shooter. But sure, if it makes you feel better give Prohm credit for recruiting an undersized shooting guard who couldn't defend the broad side of a barn, then trying to force him into playing PG, then finally moving him to SG (the conclusion that should've been reached to begin with).
I think Prohm was looking at his roster, saw what he was losing and thought Lindell might be the best bet to take over as PG.

• Optimistic
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Prohm should've seen what many saw from Lindell in prep ball and realized he's not a PG. Coleman was Oak Hill's PG and Lindell is a volume shooter. But sure, if it makes you feel better give Prohm credit for recruiting an undersized shooting guard who couldn't defend the broad side of a barn, then trying to force him into playing PG, then finally moving him to SG (the conclusion that should've been reached to begin with).
I'm confused.. Are you saying you're upset he recruited Lindell in the first place?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

Couldn't defend the broad side of a barn? Interesting description of somebody's defense.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Hines, where are you? I need to buy you a beverage of your choice sometime.

tumblr_mfm2tc5Wfw1rry8g4o2_400.gifv

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Also, to say Prohm should've known NWB was going to be the PG he was is a little ridiculous. NWB played sparingly the year before at the 3-guard spot.

imagine disagreeing with this. Nick was not a pg is first year. DJack was.

but why let little things like facts interrupt trying to appear to be knowledgeable. I mean that pretty much speaks to the level of knowledge, right?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017

When did he play pg as a freshman?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
imagine disagreeing with this. Nick was not a pg is first year. DJack was.

but why let little things like facts interrupt trying to appear to be knowledgeable. I mean that pretty much speaks to the level of knowledge, right?
I understand what they're saying, but the gap year waiting for Shayok and Jacobson was going to be tough to succeed in as it was. Prohm was in a very tough situation that he may or may not have put himself into depending on what side of the fence you fall on. He tinkered with lineups constantly trying to fit the pieces together. Zoran Talley even played PG against Tech and WVU (both ranked opponents) and I believe we won both of those games. I think that was a decision that went well for Prohm. I also think there were times where Prohm should've done things differently, but did not. I'm not going to say Prohm's perfect because he's not.. no coach is.

These are Prohm's guys now and it's up to him and the guys to figure out how the rest of the season goes. I think calling for his head is a little bit aggressive, but I also think Prohm has put himself into a bit of a tough situation. Prohm honestly does have the talent this year to at least be a bubble team, but he has to squeeze everything he can out of the guys he has. He has to put them into better situations and at the same time, the players need to play to the level Coach Prohm knows they can play to.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Imagine playing that season without Wigginton..... we would have won like 5 games.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
If it were up to some fans he'd been fired before taking the job 5 years ago.

I am firmly convinced that after reading some of the more out there, aka "irrational" (as JP alluded to in his podcast after last season) posts on this board the last year and a half that there are at least a few people, some of whom who post here, who would rather disband the basketball program than have anyone besides Fred Hoiberg be the coach.

And that's why I get after jersebib(?) on here; it's one thing to be disappointed after a tough loss at home. And CSP and the team need to be held to account for the sh!tshow last Thursday. But for cryin' out loud, for as good as how that road win at Texas Tech last season turned out to be, and that went down as one of the best road wins by any team in the whole damn country, there will still a few people who were openly upset about how we won that game. I am not kidding or engaging in hyperbole here; there were posters who were disappointed that we didn't win by double digits (won by 4) and that we didn't score 50% of our points on out of bounds plays. It's f*cking ridiculous.

Jers is on record as writing more than once that he thinks the '14-15 season that ended with a huge upset loss to freakin' UAB was a better season that the Sweet Sixteen season that followed that one. How can you rationally engage with people who think like that? You can't.

I do think that although I agree with him on most things that Cat Stevens can get over the top in his criticisms of other posters on here, but he's absolutely right in that for some critics of CSP it's not really about the basketball. It's all about who he replaced.

Last edited:

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I will say it, NWB was the most overrated player at ISU since Diante Garrett. Neither one were clutch and lost games in the final minute due to stupid decisions.

I was not a fan of NWB, but I will not stand for Diante slander. He should be given a medal for playing in McDermott's system for three years without losing his cool. It's too bad his lone year with Hoiberg didn't put much talent around him. Diante was a baller who was put in bad situations for 4 years.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
And that's why I get after jersebib(?) on here; it's one thing to be disappointed after a tough loss at home. And CSP and the team need to be held to account for the sh!tshow last Thursday. But for cryin' out loud, for as good as how that road win at Texas Tech last season turned out to be, and that went down as one of the best road wins by any team in the whole damn country, there will still a few people who were openly upset about how we won that game. I am not kidding or engaging in hyperbole here; there were posters who were disappointed that we didn't win by double digits (won by 4) and that we didn't score 50% of our points on out of bounds plays. It's f*cking ridiculous.
Good god - it was a nice win, but it was a regular season game - later as a favorite we lost one a million times more important - to Ohio State - and looked bad doing it.
So what good was that win over TTech?
Please.

Last edited:

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Good god - it was a nice win, but it was a regular season game - later we lost one a million times more important - to Ohio State - and look bad doing it.
So what good was that win over TTech?
Please.

A season should not be judged by a Thursday/Friday in March. The fact that a season is labeled “lost” or a “success” based upon a single game/weekend is ridiculous when you play 35 games.

Are you going to say that ISU wasn’t a Top 32 squad in 15-16 and 19-20 just because they lost in the First Round? You would be wrong with both teams. Teams prove what they are over a 18 game conference schedule not on a Thursday/Friday in March.