INSTANT REACTION: Iowa 84, Iowa State 68

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Yes, he appears to be pressing, but it doesn't help when the best player in inherently deferential and reluctant to take control of game when needed.

tyrese is probably my favorite Iowa State player since maybe Tinsley.

But he has to be more assertive. Last night he needed to go get the ball when we got buried in the first half.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
A serious question to any that were in Hilton for this debacle. Did Prohm show any emotion? Did any of his coaches? Did they even seem pissed? I couldn't honestly tell on TV. I was trying to figure that out but couldn't. I don't think you have to be a coach Knight to get players to respond, or hustle, or turn up intensity. I do, however, think there needs to be some fierceness in a coach once and a while. I saw lots of dogging it down the floor, completely stupid turnovers, horrid shooting, etc. I've had a lot of coaches that would have chewed me a new one for that, and it would have turned things around fast if I still wanted to be on the field.
You have to put blame on the players for that then - they didn't look very fierce either. We need to recruit competitors, even if they're ranked a star or two lower...

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
You have to put blame on the players for that then - they didn't look very fierce either. We need to recruit competitors, even if they're ranked a star or two lower...
Agreed on players having skin in that game. I was just trying to figure out what coach’s reaction was.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Agreed on players having skin in that game. I was just trying to figure out what coach’s reaction was.

Imo there was no point in the coach being pissed, screaming, yelling and acting a fool. They spent 3 days going over a game plan that the players failed to execute, if they couldn't pick it up in 3 days of practice a timeout of a coach acting like a moron isn't going to get them to magically execute it.

Not to mention that at the college level especially playing a rival if you need a coach to pump you up and motivate you then you've already lost the game. I went 4-0 in my time playing football against Iowa and I can say that we players knew it was a big game and were pumped to kick their ass.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
1. Prohm can't coach during games What coach won the Big 12 tourney last year?
2. Prohm can't recruit Who has the 2nd best recruitingg class next year, brought in TH, THT and Wiggs along with many others
3. Prohm can't judge talent. TH and THT weren't even high recruits.
4. Prohm didn,t beat Iowa Get over it!
If THT would have come back this year, which I think Prohm probably thought it would take at least 2 years before he went pro, this team would be completely different.
4 was objectively true. Nobody is saying 2 or 3.
1-So you’re hanging your hat on 3 games?

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Is there a player more frustrating to watch than Mike? He is SO good sometimes...and shockingly bad at others.

He presses so hard it's painfully obvious. I feel he - of all our players - bleeds cardinal and gold and wants to please the fans so badly... I do love that kid and everything he tries to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
It's not silly. What I'm saying is that even a team with no active coaching in game day can win games if they have talent and desire.

It's when things start to go south that the coach needs to make adjustments. We are seeing time and time again that Prohm just isn't doing that. We're also seeing our team not come out ready to play. That's on both players and coach, but I'm putting it mostly on the guy getting paid literally millions to make sure the team is ready.

CSP has won too many games at ISU, from behind, from in front, back to back games, road games, tourney games, short-handed, players on discipline, players hurt, etc... to say he's not a good coach.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Chris, you just need to admit the facts about Prohm in your columns and pods:

1) Prohm has crushed Hilton Magic. 5-5 in last 10 relevant games there. Not with rebuilding teams and with a lot of sloppy ball.

2) Prohm year 4 the program is not better than it was. That is the sign of a good hire.

3) Prohm inherited a solid situation in Murray State then never went back to the tourney. He inherited a great situation at ISU and isn’t doing much since.

4) Prohm has never beaten a Power 6 team in the big dance. We all know that any competent basketball person could’ve coached that 2016 team to the Sweet 16 given the draw they had that year.

5). Great, he has recruited some. What good is it if they don’t do anything with the talent? Wigginton - 0 tourney wins.

6) Players don’t seem to like or respect him. He let THT do some really stupid things as a frosh with no repercussions. He continues to let Jacobson and Nixon shoot in spots that hurt the team. McKay hated him. Two dudes leave a week before the season opener. Rumor is wigginton would’ve left had he not went pro.

At some point we need to realize this guy is not doing it.

1. He's also won on the road at a previously unimaginable rate. He should get credit for that, as troubling as the home record is.

2. The program was arguably at it's zenith when he took over. Again, tough to even maintain that let alone build on it.

3. His last year at Murray he went 31-2 and was ranked in the top 25. At Murray.

4. Matt Painter lost to a team Prohm beat on the way to the Sweet 16. Is he not a competent basketball person?

5. Definitely something that needs to change.

6. Much of this is patently false.

1/6. That's about as good as our 3 point shooting, which is terrible.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Imo there was no point in the coach being pissed, screaming, yelling and acting a fool. They spent 3 days going over a game plan that the players failed to execute, if they couldn't pick it up in 3 days of practice a timeout of a coach acting like a moron isn't going to get them to magically execute it.

Not to mention that at the college level especially playing a rival if you need a coach to pump you up and motivate you then you've already lost the game. I went 4-0 in my time playing football against Iowa and I can say that we players knew it was a big game and were pumped to kick their ass.

That's what I was thinking. They came out of the gate and let a team whose main strength is shooting just get off easy threes they can step in to during transition. Is he supposed to get a spray bottle with water and just squirt them likes they are bad cats?

I was disappointed with the effort on D but they turned it around. Ultimately two things happened - Bolton had his worst game by far, and we couldn't hit shots. Iowa is a good team. Again, it's a frustrating loss and the slow starts for both Prohm and Campbell need cleared up.

Somebody who was a better athlete or coach than me - how do we get the slow starts thing fixed? Just seems weird.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I realize our guys didn't execute the game play, but my main issue is the lack of fire for playing a rival. You could see it, our guys looked scared and tentative, Iowa was out for blood. Iowa played with confidence and aggression. We didn't. In Hilton, our guys need to have the attitude that no one, NO ONE!!! comes into our house and pushes us around, especially a rival, especially freaking Iowa. Well our guys for whatever reason don't have it. There is no excuse for that.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Part of it is I just don't think Prohm is a guy that gets crazy jacked up. I think he treats the season like a baseball manager or an NBA coach - never too high or too low. You can not like that about him and it's a reasonable thing, but he's not going to change.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That's what I was thinking. They came out of the gate and let a team whose main strength is shooting just get off easy threes they can step in to during transition. Is he supposed to get a spray bottle with water and just squirt them likes they are bad cats?

I was disappointed with the effort on D but they turned it around. Ultimately two things happened - Bolton had his worst game by far, and we couldn't hit shots. Iowa is a good team. Again, it's a frustrating loss and the slow starts for both Prohm and Campbell need cleared up.

Somebody who was a better athlete or coach than me - how do we get the slow starts thing fixed? Just seems weird.
Plenty of things can be attributed to slow starts.. Sometimes teams come out to start the game doing something completely different than what was scouted for and it can take time to figure it out. In this particular game, it seemed as if at the start of the game we did not follow the scouting report and got burned because of it. It happens in high intensity games because guys are so amped up that they forget what they've been practicing and getting taught for the last few days.

Iowa gets a ton of their threes in transition when the defense is not set.. Last Thursday, we got killed in the first 5 minutes of the game by letting them do exactly that. We also let Iowa get a few easy 2nd chance opportunities which cannot happen. We were playing from behind the entire game and when we started to climb back into the game, we allowed multiple wide open threes and got beat numerous times for layups and a couple of those were and-1's. Obviously we were bad offensively but I think we were bad offensively due to our poor defensive performance.

Cyclone951

Nov 29, 2019
Dude, if you’re going to debate, you gotta bring it better than that.

1. Prohm is 14-30 (.318) in true road games during his tenure at ISU. Throw out Niang’s last season when the team coached itself, and that drops to 10-23 (.303). Far from “previously unimaginable”. In fact, in the 3 seasons prior to Prohm ISU was 14-18 in true road games (.438) further discrediting your statement.

2. Sure it’s tough to maintain a program doing well, but that’s what he’s paid to do - and would be doing, if he were a good coach. This is simply an excuse for why the program is not a) the same or b) better than when he took over.

3. What you are describing is his first year at Murray (not his last season as you claim) which was the team he inherited from Kennedy. In his next 3 years at Murray the team never made it back to the NCAA Tourney or sniffed relevance. Prohm took over and the program did not get better or stay the same. Your counterpoint actually reinforces my original point.

4. Painter has proven himself on the national stage by improving a program from what he inherited (24-35 in Keady’s last two seasons). He has beaten a Power 6 team in the NCAA Tourney. Perhaps if Prohm does these things we can look at losses as blips vs trends. He has not, to date.

5. Agreed.

6. Scholarship players did leave this year shortly before the season began. That’s not
something we’ve seen at ISU. We’re you not there for McKay’s seasons with Prohm? Why didn’t we see that with previous coaches? THT shot 30.8% from 3, 9th best on the team but took the 3rd most 3 point attempts on the team, many which were unquestionably not good shot selections. No repercussions from the bench. And yes there was a rumor that Wigginton would transfer much like Lard had he stayed in college.

6 for 6. Let’s hope we can shoot that well in a game this year.

1. He's also won on the road at a previously unimaginable rate. He should get credit for that, as troubling as the home record is.

2. The program was arguably at it's zenith when he took over. Again, tough to even maintain that let alone build on it.

3. His last year at Murray he went 31-2 and was ranked in the top 25. At Murray.

4. Matt Painter lost to a team Prohm beat on the way to the Sweet 16. Is he not a competent basketball person?

5. Definitely something that needs to change.

6. Much of this is patently false.

1/6. That's about as good as our 3 point shooting, which is terrible.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I realize our guys didn't execute the game play, but my main issue is the lack of fire for playing a rival. You could see it, our guys looked scared and tentative, Iowa was out for blood. Iowa played with confidence and aggression. We didn't. In Hilton, our guys need to have the attitude that no one, NO ONE!!! comes into our house and pushes us around, especially a rival, especially freaking Iowa. Well our guys for whatever reason don't have it. There is no excuse for that.

I believe it was Tyrese of all people that said "they wanted it more and played harder". I love Tyrese just like everybody else does, but I do really dislike that quote. In Hilton, vs. a rival, a needed high major win, and we didn't want it enough? Sometimes I think a player just says that so they don't have to admit they sucked, etc. Solomon's quote saying "we practiced everything, we just didn't execute it". Guess I prefer that response better. Regardless, Iowa played well (used their strength vs. our weakness, namely Garza opening up shooters and to nobody's surprise played a zone giving us plenty of open looks which we struggle making).

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
Different year, same excuses on behalf of Steve from the same apologist types of the past - the same types that were thumping their chests in defiance of criticism against Chewy and Paul Rhoads. Those types exist that can't let go until a thing is beyond untenable. They're all over Facebook and they're all over this message board.

Steve's position isn't quite untenable but it's clear he lacks the things that make a strong coach: in-game strategy, strategy in general, lighting a fire in guys. The hope was that Steve would improve given time, and Scott Drew provided a roadmap for the possibility. After five years, it looks to be false hope. Steve is "first couple years" version of Scott Drew. He has not improved and seems clueless on what to do to fix things - or even worse, doesn't realize that anything needs fixed. What's worse, the fanbase is gaslighted by sporadic strong performances and press conferences that sometimes do suggest he's aware of issues that need correction.

In general, if a thing leads to constant questioning and requires repeated defense, that thing in all likelihood isn't functioning the way it should and requires correction.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Different year, same excuses on behalf of Steve from the same apologist types of the past - the same types that were thumping their chests in defiance of criticism against Chewy and Paul Rhoads. Those types exist that can't let go until a thing is beyond untenable. They're all over Facebook and they're all over this message board.

Steve's position isn't quite untenable but it's clear he lacks the things that make a strong coach: in-game strategy, strategy in general, lighting a fire in guys. The hope was that Steve would improve given time, and Scott Drew provided a roadmap for the possibility. After five years, it looks to be false hope. Steve is "first couple years" version of Scott Drew. He has not improved and seems clueless on what to do to fix things - or even worse, doesn't realize that anything needs fixed. What's worse, the fanbase is gaslighted by sporadic strong performances and press conferences that sometimes do suggest he's aware of issues that need correction.

In general, if a thing leads to constant questioning and requires repeated defense, that thing in all likelihood isn't functioning the way it should and requires correction.
A great coach like Beilein added Yaklich to improve on his weakness. Perhaps a Prohm can find a complementary assistant.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Malone

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Part of it is I just don't think Prohm is a guy that gets crazy jacked up. I think he treats the season like a baseball manager or an NBA coach - never too high or too low. You can not like that about him and it's a reasonable thing, but he's not going to change.

You only get 20-25 games a year against good competition, not 82 or 162 like baseball or the NBA.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
He has players that shoot like outfielders. That makes sense. This is only jk.