Jamie's level of concern pertaining to Iowa

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Can you recall what Iowa States athletic budget looked like when those guys were hired? Chiz was here 2 years and jumped to "green pastures". There wasn't anything JP could do there and who knows how things would have looked f we could have kept him. McD just flat out didn't work out and argument can be made that JP held on for maybe a year too long. Iowa State is on a completely different playing field now regarding financials and JP is a big reason for it.

The Big 12 TV contract is the biggest reason for it.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Sadly, when we lose to Iowa it impacts instate recruiting. Is it the most important game of the year? Heck no, but it’s damned important to Iowans. Losing to them hurts me worse than losing to an Oklahoma mainly because state bragging rights are involved. Especially when you know they aren’t a better team. The only one I can say that about this year is MBB.

If you think in-state recruiting is crucial to the success of the MBB team, you just simply aren't paying attention.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The Big 12 TV contract is the biggest reason for it.

Of course it is. But that's out of Jaime's control. However, FB and BB attendance has gone up significantly under Pollard, and that is in his control. His vision has led to a lot of positives for ISU, including what would be an incredible addition to the area around Hilton and Trice if achieved.

By that token, The Big 10 TV contract is the reason why Iowa has had a lot of increased funds. Also in that timeframe FB attendance has gone down and BB attendance is flat. Really the only thing Barta has to show for his time in IC is a hefty lawsuit. Impressive stuff really.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Not sure where this thread is going. Fennely has been passed by Bluder, and Prohm is already starting to fracture the ISU fan base. CMC was a home run hire, lets see if he is still at ISU in 3 years.

Heck I'd say that Fred was the home run BB hire, way more than Prohm, but he is gone. Jamie had the home run Wrestling coach, and let him slip away. Jamie hired Rhoads and Chiz before he hit on CMC, so if CMC leaves, you have a 33% chance to get a good hire out of Jamie and a 67% chance of getting an awful one.

If you are only judging Jamie on his coaching hires, he has been somewhat bad actually. I'm not sure what AD in the country that has gotten a 3rd chance at a head football coaching hire after two complete failures like he had.

Pretty ironic that you're on here trashing Pollard, when your own AD is a steaming pile of hot garbage. (SEE: Buyouts, MBB contracts)

• Agree
Reactions: dawgpound

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
I think the coaches are ok for the Big 12. They aren't the best at developing players, but that isn't what athletic leadership wants right now. Therefore; Transfer U, JUCO U.

As far as beating the Hogeyes in football, we need to bring in players from the state of Iowa and actually let them play, not having them watch the 3-stars from Texas who don't care about the game.

• Dumb
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

CycoCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
40 years of being a fan and already falling into the trap that 7-5 is a down season. I promised myself at 3-9 that I'd be happy at 7-5. Hell 8-4 should get an extension.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I said CMC was a great hire. I said Chiz and Rhoads were bad hires. What have I said that is wrong? I mean getting mad at me for this is like getting mad at a mirror for how you look.
Is Fran a good hire? Most people would say no and that Barta has hung on to him for too long

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think the coaches are ok for the Big 12. They aren't the best at developing players, but that isn't what athletic leadership wants right now. Therefore; Transfer U, JUCO U.

As far as beating the Hogeyes in football, we need to bring in players from the state of Iowa and actually let them play, not having them watch the 3-stars from Texas who don't care about the game.
I don't think playing a 2 or no star from Urbandale over a 4-star from Ohio is the answer to our problems.

• Winner
Reactions: VeloClone

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
And I thought Iowa fans were delusional.

I think he is right, Jamie was very much a realist and pragmatic during that time. He realized that without Texas and Oklahoma that the Big12 was just the Mountain West. He fought tooth and nail to keep Texas and OU in the Big12, because he understood what happens without them.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Trying to spin Chiz as a good hire is simply trying to put lipstick on a pig. As you said McD was a bad hire, and Jamie held onto him too long as well, and lucked out that he took the Creighton job as he was gonna keep him on yet another year. Rhoads was the same thing. Jamie kept him on at a year too long.

Listen, I get that things got better after that, but if you are trying to paint those 2006-2015 years as good for ISU football, that is just revisionist history. That is a decade of bad football under 1 AD

I've been a football season ticket holder since 05 so I'm well aware of our history. Listen, Iowa and their fans have been extremely lucky in the football department. You don't get long term coaches like Fry and Ferentz back to back and all i'm going to say is good luck with the next hire. After Kirk steps down sh*t is gonna get real.

• Disagree
Reactions: PeacefulRival

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron