Is Lewis injured because

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
That's fair regarding effort.
And that's not to say I disagree with you on Grill, I wish it were coming to him a bit quicker, but I can't necessarily blame him. I'm happy to see him working his butt off, but it does get a bit annoying if it happens consistently, which it did last night.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
You make a great point, don't get me wrong, I'd love TL to be able to make strides and be a consistent contributor, I just think the way things shook out last night, people are ignoring his flaws simply because he hit a couple shots.
“Just because he hit a couple shots.” That’s actually what this team seems to need.

larrysarmy

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
I don't get the love for Grill. He's running around like a chicken with his head cut-off losing his guy on defense and when he does shoot a 3 it's not even close to the rim.

Not hating on the kid and hope he turns out to be good but right now I don't understand why he is getting the minutes he does.

Likely performing in practice. Translating to high major action is quite different. Once the game slows down, I like his athleticism and stroke. Plays hard

• Agree
Reactions: SpokaneCY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't get the love for Grill. He's running around like a chicken with his head cut-off losing his guy on defense and when he does shoot a 3 it's not even close to the rim.

Not hating on the kid and hope he turns out to be good but right now I don't understand why he is getting the minutes he does.
He is 4 of 13 from 3. Not exactly setting the world on fire (.308), but for this team he is.

Frankly, for a true freshman I think he has shown pretty good stretches of heady play. I thought he was lost against Iowa but frankly the whole team was.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Isn’t that what practice is supposed to prove?
Games are a whole different thing. Put yourself in his shoes. You get limited chances to prove yourself in prime time. You're either Superman or back on the bench. Your juices would be flowing too.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DurangoCy

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
Is 2019-20 Terrence Lewis better than 2019-20 Jackson and Grill? Maybe.

will playing Lewis more help ISU win games? No

happy he made some shots but i don’t see how him, Jackson, or Grill are going to make enough of an impact in conference play for ISU reach the goal of NCAA tournament this season
No matter who plays get the NCAA tournament out of your head, this season is going to be just like Jacksons senior year maybe 4-14! I feel sorry for TH he could have a lot of assists if anybody could shoot!

• Creative
Reactions: isufbcurt

omar34

Mar 8, 2017
TL won't get better riding the pine and practice is totally different than games! Defense is not that hard to learn if your getting any coaching at all! Also if your within 5 feet of the basket or closer use the frickin backboard instead of trying to swish it from 2 feet, the hardest shot in Basketball!

• Agree
Reactions: sheepplucker

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
They have 2 more cupcake games and the rest of the month to put something that resembles a team together and I think Lewis should be a part of it. Get him involved in the D in practice and give him real run during those two gimme games.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I completely agree that he struggled last night. Question is... When was the last time he practiced with the first team in practice? I'm guessing it has been a long time since he shared being on a team with Haliburton. Those switches/hedges etc take a lot of confidence and team work to make it work. I wonder if he does start to play a little more if that helps.

Side note: I thought the same thing about Zion, but still doesn't seem to get what we are trying to do on defense.

What exactly is ISU trying to do on defense is my question.

I-stateTheTruth

Nov 13, 2016
They have 2 more cupcake games and the rest of the month to put something that resembles a team together and I think Lewis should be a part of it. Get him involved in the D in practice and give him real run during those two gimme games.
I agree - give the guy some run in these two games because I don't think there's much of a downside. We know that he has good shooting mechanics and shooting is desperately needed. I just got a chance to watch the recording of the Seton Hall game; I also hope to see Conditt on the court 25+ minutes in upcoming games.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree - give the guy some run in these two games because I don't think there's much of a downside. We know that he has good shooting mechanics and shooting is desperately needed. I just got a chance to watch the recording of the Seton Hall game; I also hope to see Conditt on the court 25+ minutes in upcoming games.

I don't believe Prohm will do that.

I remember when Solomon Young played great minutes and seemed important to ISU winning at KU in 2017...the next week they went to Texas and just looked it up; he played 14 minutes in a bad loss.

He started after that and the team went on to have a nice last month of the season and CSP alluded later that he probably should have started earlier.

I'm kinda surprised Prohm played Lewis last week actually.

For as much as CSP tends to let his teams **** things up and suffer the consequences, he doesn't seem to allow time for a player to get experience and learn from mistakes in a game.

• Agree
Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yes he is the best 3 point shooter! Bolton and Nixon luck out when they make 1! Bolton shot looks terrible poor mechanics, looks like he just flings it up!
If you're going to point out poor mechanics and not talk about Tyrese then it's not a fair argument being made. Just because you don't have great mechanics, doesn't mean you can't be a good 3-point shooter and vice versa. Caleb Grill has tremendous mechanics but can't make a thing. Half of it is mental.. if you go into your shot and are praying you don't miss, you're most likely going to miss. I think this team is better at shooting than they are currently showing us and will progress at it. Taking less 3's will help tremendously.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
What exactly is ISU trying to do on defense is my question.
From what it looks like, is they play different pick and roll defense based on who is running it and who is guarding it. Nixon guarding someone means no switch, (same with dribble handoffs) however if it is a Bolton Haliburton handoff or screen they are switching it. Otherwise if it is a big little screen they are just hedging. Takes a lot of mental capacity to recognize when to switch and when not to.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Defense you can work on over time. Fred's teams weren't predicated on defense, they were built to out gun you. Tyrus McGee wasn't getting minutes because he was a tenacious defender, actually he was quite the opposite.

Not saying Terrence is the shooter Tyrus was/still is, but it doesn't seem outlandish to think he is in the top 3-4 guys on the team in that regard. Terrence could easily be our energy and instant-offense type guy off the bench that Tyrus was. Like I said, bash away for him for his defense whether it's rightly deserved or not, but if the guy can consistently bring an element to this team that it's been lacking, he needs to be getting at least rotational minutes.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Defense you can work on over time. Fred's teams weren't predicated on defense, they were built to out gun you. Tyrus McGee wasn't getting minutes because he was a tenacious defender, actually he was quite the opposite.

Not saying Terrence is the shooter Tyrus was/still is, but it doesn't seem outlandish to think he is in the top 3-4 guys on the team in that regard. Terrence could easily be our energy and instant-offense type guy off the bench that Tyrus was. Like I said, bash away for him for his defense whether it's rightly deserved or not, but if the guy can consistently bring an element to this team that it's been lacking, he needs to be getting at least rotational minutes.
His cutting on offense is something we haven't really seen anyone else do. I think that is the biggest part of his game, especially with someone like Haliburton to hit him on those cuts.

It is weird that I have to say that, but we have 3 guys sitting at the 3-point line as Haliburton runs the pick and roll.