GAME THREAD: Iowa State (6-2) vs. Wright State (5-3)

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019
Madison Wise is out again today for the Cyclones. Fifth-straight game that she has missed.

Iowa State coming off of a loss to Iowa on Wednesday. Game kicks off here in a few minutes.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
This team could use Wise on the court, just her defense would a plus.

AD is just not being aggressive at all, I know she hasn't been shooting well but she is passing on open opportunities. I think she just needs to break the seal on the basket.

Kane..I worry about her hands, too many muffed passes the last couple of games going into her.

Last edited:

Connor_Ferguson

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 9, 2019

AD is just not being aggressive at all, I know she hasn't been shooting well but she is passing on open opportunities. I think she just needs to break the seal on the basket.

Kane..I worry about her hands, too many muffled passes the last couple of games going into her.
There's your AD three

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

Kane..I worry about her hands, too many muffed passes the last couple of games going into her.

Yeah, I kinda like Kane's aggressiveness and getting physical but she is showing fumble fingers so far this year. Is it just me or does she seem lighter/slighter built than what I remember from last years exhibition games?

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Obviously I have no idea on how well players practice and what not, but I'm slightly surprised that Fred hasn't taken some of the minutes given up by Wise these last few games. We haven't had too many chances to see what she's capable of but CBF mentioned that she has a high basketball IQ and her build should allow her to match up well.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Is it just me or does she seem lighter/slighter built than what I remember from last years exhibition games?
Probably the benefits of a year of collegiate strength training? Maybe a tad leaner now?

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Wright State not going away. End of the 3rd qtr, ISU up only 6 having given up most of their double digit lead.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
Our defense is not good. We are slow afoot compared to other teams. Made an observation v Iowa that Rae dribbles very high. Wright State obviously noticed this and has picked her pocket several times. Too much standing again on offense. WE MISS MADISON on defense. Any time a team shoots nearly 50% against you your defense isn’t doing much.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ashley Joens show today, 41 points today. As a team well..some good things, some bad things, some ugly things. Wright State a tough squad.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Our defense is not good. We are slow afoot compared to other teams. Made an observation v Iowa that Rae dribbles very high. Wright State obviously noticed this and has picked her pocket several times. Too much standing again on offense. WE MISS MADISON on defense. Any time a team shoots nearly 50% against you your defense isn’t doing much.

25-26 from the line though. ;)

barometriclow

Jan 31, 2009
Ankeny
We ran out of gas in 4th quarter. Again I think our short bench is missing Wise. Could Bill be thinking of red shirt? Next year should be the start of a great run.

Wright State is a well coached team.

• Agree
Reactions: gizzsdad and ISU71

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
We ran out of gas in 4th quarter. Again I think our short bench is missing Wise. Could Bill be thinking of red shirt? Next year should be the start of a great run.

Wright State is a well coached team.
Bill said in the pre-game interview that Maddie was sent to Pittsburgh for evaluation and they have a plan to get her back on the court. He said she would probably be back for the start of conference play.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I was definitely surprised how much fight Wright State had in them. When they got down by 18, their coach must have said, "you WILL play harder and you WILL not go down without a fight to the end," because that's exactly what they did. They ought to be good in their league this season, if they can play like that with some consistency.

Congrats to Joens for another great box score! 41 is just one off the school record (and I believe tied with Lindsey Wilson for second highest single-game point total ever at ISU. Now, a week off for finals before UNI comes to town. Not sure what to expect from them, considering their game against Iowa, then Iowa's game against ISU.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Congrats to Joens for another great box score! 41 is just one off the school record (and I believe tied with Lindsey Wilson for second highest single-game point total ever at ISU. Now, a week off for finals before UNI comes to town. Not sure what to expect from them, considering their game against Iowa, then Iowa's game against ISU.

I expect Drake Game II but this time we eek out the win at the end. They have played a very tough NC schedule but have been all over the place as far as results. Squeaked by IUPUI 51-50 this afternoon.

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28
D

Deleted member 8507

Here is a stat you won't see very often. 6 personal fouls on a player (J Roberson). I believe she fouled out and then received a Tech foul which counts toward your foul count, hence 6 fouls.

upload_2019-12-15_17-22-21.png

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Good game! Joens was on fire for sure. My first game in Hilton since 2000 and first women's game at Hilton since 1995! One of the reasons I moved back to Iowa this year.

Reactions: NWICY

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I expect Drake Game II but this time we eek out the win at the end. They have played a very tough NC schedule but have been all over the place as far as results. Squeaked by IUPUI 51-50 this afternoon.

gee...and I remember people saying our NC schedule was another weak patsy thing when it was released.