Iowa State Basketball is a Mid-Major Roster

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
The banter is sometimes fun to read, but here is what I have gathered so far regarding the ISU roster:

Haliburton - Elite player with NBA Future (let me know if I am overstating)
Bolton - Point guard who can't shoot (comes off the bench for most P5 schools?)
Conditt - No real insight on him (comes off the bench for most P5 schools?)

I like Jacobsen, but he would not even sniff the court on the upper half teams of P5 conferences. He brings value with his hard nose, blue collar attitude.

I know it easier for some of you to caste hate toward me, but it remains a legitimate question. Without Haliburton, how does this team do in a mid-major conference?

Member when you cheered on Pierre Pierce winning in Hilton?

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Agree that this year's team is not good, but not sure about next year yet.

The problem with next year, assuming Hali goes pro, is that Prohm needs to basically hit 100% on all the incoming recruits.... which is a LOT to ask. It's rare to not have a bust or two in a recruiting class.

The other issue with next year's incoming class.... there really aren't any "shooters" in that class either. And that is a huge pet peeve of mine. I've always believed that if you at least put a team on the floor of shooters, you'll score plenty of points to win.... and then hopefully you can teach them to play tough defense. You can't really teach shooting IMO.

You are so F***in right on the money....shooting a basketball is not a learned skill....You can either shoot or you cant...When I was in junior high I could make 90 out of 100 free throws...which was the best in school...did I practice...HELL NO ...I just went up to the free throw line and made the shots....Naturally of course...great shooters are born not made.....

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
The banter is sometimes fun to read, but here is what I have gathered so far regarding the ISU roster:

Haliburton - Elite player with NBA Future (let me know if I am overstating)
Bolton - Point guard who can't shoot (comes off the bench for most P5 schools?)
Conditt - No real insight on him (comes off the bench for most P5 schools?)

I like Jacobsen, but he would not even sniff the court on the upper half teams of P5 conferences. He brings value with his hard nose, blue collar attitude.

I know it easier for some of you to caste hate toward me, but it remains a legitimate question. Without Haliburton, how does this team do in a mid-major conference?

Bolton is averaging 15 ppg while shooting 42% from the floor, 83% from the line and is a plus defender. You're clueless

breck53

Aug 29, 2008
What was your previous user name on here? That way we can go see your real work, not your initial troll
And your previous name was MikeM-but you’re too much of a douche to admit it. Let’s go back and look at all your previous brilliance

P

PeacefulRival

Bolton is averaging 15 ppg while shooting 42% from the floor, 83% from the line and is a plus defender. You're clueless

I was only referring to what was shared in this thread about Bolton. It seems to me by the stats you are sharing is that he can score points. You see him as a legit P5 starter. Got it.

But as you say, I am clueless, so if I agree with your take, what does that say about you. I am not here to argue. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the roster and what die hard cyclone fans like you think.

I didn't mean to trigger you.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PeacefulRival

4-5 top 25 teams are mid-major teams. So mid-major rosters may not be the insult you wanted it to be.

I can see why you might jump to the conclusion that I intended this thread to be an insult. I never took the Iowa is a mid-major roster thread as an insult. it was an honest assessment by an MSU beat writer that may cyclone fans piled on hurling insults at the iowa basketball program.

I guess those mid-major teams that are ranked in the top 25 have P5 rosters.

Artic Zone

Jul 12, 2017
No **** sherlock... My question to the @Artic Zone was in regards to if he thought that Griffin could improve, or if he was just a bust...

trending bust... there are minutes to be had on this team and hes not capitalizing

i know everyone loves to point to Naz Longs MPG and PPG as a freshman but Naz had the following guards/wings in front of him
  • Will Clyburn
  • Tyrus McGee
  • Korie Lucious
  • Chris Babb

Griffin has
  • Tyrese Haliburton
  • Rasir Bolton
  • Prentiss Nixon

This doesnt just apply to Zion, btw, this applies to Jackson and Grill also. I know Naz Long is the poster child for improvement and i LOVE naz but the roster construction of the 2012-13 team is completely different than the 2019-20

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I can see why you might jump to the conclusion that I intended this thread to be an insult. I never took the Iowa is a mid-major roster thread as an insult.
It is amazing how many usernames that have popped up out of nowhere that remember old threads.

• Winner
Reactions: IndyClone15

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I was only referring to what was shared in this thread about Bolton. It seems to me by the stats you are sharing is that he can score points. You see him as a legit P5 starter. Got it.

But as you say, I am clueless, so if I agree with your take, what does that say about you. I am not here to argue. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the roster and what die hard cyclone fans like you think.

I didn't mean to trigger you.

Who in this thread said Bolton isn't a P5 starter?

P

PeacefulRival

It was posted that he is not consistent with his 3 point shot and would likely move to point guard next year. A better fit for him than his current role. It is hard to for me to classify a guard who can't hit 3 pointers with consistency a legitimate P5 starter.

Again, I am not claiming to know much about cyclone basketball. I am taking an interest though.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
true but he's the anti beetlejuice.... say his birth name 3 times and he'll run and hide and delete all tweets or sell account to mad meatball....
Was it the Murph and Andy account that did it a couple years ago? I think that's when he went away for a while.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron