Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Planning a trip to Vegas with the wife; neither of us have ever been. Of these 3 places, what is the best to stay? Palms, Sahara, or Rio?
I honestly had more fun off the strip on that old vegas street whose name i can't remember

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Z and I have been karaoking Frozen II songs. It so hard with tempo changes and not having them commited to memory yet.

Coolest part though: I found song a long videos and . she's reading them!!!

I know she can read, but this is just one more step putting everything together.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Z and I have been karaoking Frozen II songs. It so hard with tempo changes and not having them commited to memory yet.

Coolest part though: I found song a long videos and . she's reading them!!!

I know she can read, but this is just one more step putting everything together.
My parents didn't realize i could read until I was like 6.5 because I never knew it was noteworthy. They just assumed i was looking at pictures.

Reactions: cyrevkah

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Any tips on handling ****** family situation around the holidays? Outside of not showing up (which I think wouldnt affect the guilty parties what so ever, even though that might be best for us?)

You don't have kids so you should be free to choose option "best for us". Selfless family sacrifice is for parental units.

• Informative
Reactions: cmjh10

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Efficiency. Attended neighbors holiday open house and another birthday and already home with a glass of scotch.* Now wishing I had stuffed some cookies in my coat pocket. ;)

Highlight at open house was watching the neighbor, who was born in Japan, teach a high school exchange student from Spain and another from Chile how to make a California roll. Sushi school. The kid from Spain excelled at it. Passed the taste test to.

* Not forgoing wine, had some earlier but scotch sounded good considering how cold it is outside.

Reactions: oldman and cyrevkah

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
My sister had to go to her boyfriend's grandparents house for Thanksgiving because our family isn't as important as theirs. His grandma actually apologized to my mom a week prior for my sister not being able to be there.

This is how Thanksgiving works there: His grandma makes all the food, including like 10 pies. You can't bring your own dish because that would be telling her that her's isn't good enough. Everyone sits down at the table, you pass each item around until everyone has filled their plate, then you start eating. Then after dinner, everyone gathers in another room, sits and talks about the weather and looks at the black Friday ads for 2-3 hours, no TV, maybe some board games. Then finally dessert.

Christmas there is also something else.

• Friendly
Reactions: oldman

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
My sister had to go to her boyfriend's grandparents house for Thanksgiving because our family isn't as important as theirs. His grandma actually apologized to my mom a week prior for my sister not being able to be there.

This is how Thanksgiving works there: His grandma makes all the food, including like 10 pies. You can't bring your own dish because that would be telling her that her's isn't good enough. Everyone sits down at the table, you pass each item around until everyone has filled their plate, then you start eating. Then after dinner, everyone gathers in another room, sits and talks about the weather and looks at the black Friday ads for 2-3 hours, no TV, maybe some board games. Then finally dessert.

Christmas there is also something else.
We all make our choices in life and learn to live with them. As much as it pains you, remember that it is your daughter’s life, not yours. She knows what she means to you, and so do you. You don’t have to agree, but you can choose to accept it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We all make our choices in life and learn to live with them. As much as it pains you, remember that it is your daughter’s life, not yours. She knows what she means to you, and so do you. You don’t have to agree, but you can choose to accept it.

Just clarifying that it is his sister not daughter. I do believe chaser is not a father.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Each couple needs to come to their own compromise. My side has always been the fairly flexible one. My in-laws were mostly the opposite. Everything revolves around my Wife’s brothers schedule at first. Over time my wife realized that it was a pain and we do nearly nothing with her brother. With kids, we could easily be grandparents in 5-10 years and that will change things more.

Explain that not everyone can always make it on a specific date. If you do mention that you only have X amount of time due to something else, such as a company work party or so. That makes the time busy and shuts down a lot of complaining time.

Another option is to have the gf (in my family I deal with the BC family, wife deals with the Mrs BC family so it doesn’t seem like meddling in-laws) explain that she is tired of whatever is bothering you two and if they can’t avoid that then you will just have a small private Christmas.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Just clarifying that it is his sister not daughter. I do believe chaser is not a father.
Oops, sorry about that. My thoughts are still the same though.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Come in to run sound system for church Christmas program. Have a kid running stuff and think, this will be easy. Then another kid comes up and hands me a flash drive and says this has everything you need. Guess I have another job, not sure what I’m even dealing with, gonna be fun.

• Friendly
Reactions: cyrevkah

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I should have included how her boyfriend's family does holidays and how we do them are day and night. Theirs are super formal and ours are super laid back. It doesn't matter how we do things, all that matters is that we're together. I don't care that she goes over there for holidays. They show up later, eat again, no big deal.

Her boyfriend is the oldest grandchild, and first one to date someone, and I think having 2 holidays to go to each time is new for them, so if he missed out on dinner there with the intention of showing up later, it's the end of the world.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
My sister told me a story about how a kid at Grinnell was asking a question in class or something, and used the the word 'straightforward', and it caused everyone to freak out.
Does she go to grinnell? Because there are idiots everywhere, but that sounds like one of those almost "too good to be true" stories

Status
Not open for further replies.