UNI Open 12/14/19 Teams

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
Starting to get concerned about Reeves. Results are not good. Not for a “blue chip” kid. Even coming off injury.
Give it time. I don’t have inside information, but he looks small. Give him time to put on some size and grow into 125. That sounds odd to say, but Mackall looks significantly bigger. Mackall also looks much better this year than last year. Give Dresser and the staff time to work with him.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Give it time. I don’t have inside information, but he looks small. Give him time to put on some size and grow into 125. That sounds odd to say, but Mackall looks significantly bigger. Mackall also looks much better this year than last year. Give Dresser and the staff time to work with him.
I agree with this take. I will admit I wasn't very impressed with Mackall last year but he appears to have made a big jump. It's great to see this improvement. The good news is Reeves has a couple of years to grow and improve. I'm sure he won't be the only 125 that will be fighting for this spot in a couple years.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
I agree with this take. I will admit I wasn't very impressed with Mackall last year but he appears to have made a big jump. It's great to see this improvement. The good news is Reeves has a couple of years to grow and improve. I'm sure he won't be the only 125 that will be fighting for this spot in a couple years.
When one person had this take I was going to let it slide. Now that 2 people are saying it, I need more information.

What makes you say that Mackall has made a big jump? He lost to Prata who was unranked to start the year, and Schroeder who was a R12 guy last year. He’s now ranked lower than he was to start the season in a weight that looks much weaker than last year.

He did beat Schwarm, but Schwarm has looked bad this year.

Guess, he looks nearly identical as last year to me. A solid, top 20 or so guy. Not a real threat to AA.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
When one person had this take I was going to let it slide. Now that 2 people are saying it, I need more information.

What makes you say that Mackall has made a big jump? He lost to Prata who was unranked to start the year, and Schroeder who was a R12 guy last year. He’s now ranked lower than he was to start the season in a weight that looks much weaker than last year.

He did beat Schwarm, but Schwarm has looked bad this year.

Guess, he looks nearly identical as last year to me. A solid, top 20 or so guy. Not a real threat to AA.
Put me in the camp of thinking Mackall has improved. Maybe a not a huge level jump, but seems much more in control of matches and his top work has been great.

The Prata loss isn't great, but Prata is having a nice season and Mackall had far more head scratchers last year (Rico Montoya x2, Alonzo Allen, Heinselman). If he keeps it up I'd say he's solidly R12 with a shot at AA with the right draw.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Maybe, I don't dig into as deep as others but I have watched him on Flo at LV and at Hilton. I watched the Schroder match and IIRC he gave up a 4 point turn and ended up losing 6-2. I think he can win that re-match. Schroder is currently ranked 6 and I don't remember him really being in the match last year against top tier guys. This year against everyone not named Lee he seems to be much improved from the down position. IIRC he had issues underneath last year. I also see him slightly improved on his feet as well as on top. If he can continue to improve this year I think he can be a R12/AA type guy. I didn't think that at this time last year.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Maybe, I don't dig into as deep as others but I have watched him on Flo at LV and at Hilton. I watched the Schroder match and IIRC he gave up a 4 point turn and ended up losing 6-2. I think he can win that re-match. Schroder is currently ranked 6 and I don't remember him really being in the match last year against top tier guys. This year against everyone not named Lee he seems to be much improved from the down position. IIRC he had issues underneath last year. I also see him slightly improved on his feet as well as on top. If he can continue to improve this year I think he can be a R12/AA type guy. I didn't think that at this time last year.
Schroeder is a fine wrestler, but not a proven guy either. Schroeder went out in the exact same round as Mackall at NCAAs last year. In all respects, they were at the same level at the end of last year. A jump for Mackall would be beating a guy like Schroeder.

Given that Mackall was a couple of wins from AA last year, I don’t know how you can say he’s made a jump until he starts beating some AA level guys. He has time to do it. But right now his results do not indicate any improvement has been made. Seems to be the same guy.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Schroeder is a fine wrestler, but not a proven guy either. Schroeder went out in the exact same round as Mackall at NCAAs last year. In all respects, they were at the same level at the end of last year. A jump for Mackall would be beating a guy like Schroeder.

Given that Mackall was a couple of wins from AA last year, I don’t know how you can say he’s made a jump until he starts beating some AA level guys. He has time to do it. But right now his results do not indicate any improvement has been made. Seems to be the same guy.
Like I said, I'm going more off the eye test. We'll agree to disagree.

Reactions: ISUWR5

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Just found out UNI got lucky and picked up a nice walk on at the beginning of the season. Wish we stumbled into those.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron