Post season volleyball thread

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
A couple of things on facilities - Wisconsin plays in their old Fieldhouse, which I believe was built by the Pilgrims a couple of years following their landing at Plymouth Rock. Have not been there for a few years, but at that time there was a fair amount of deferred maintenance. Missouri plays in the 70's vintage Hearnes Center, which was also a bit worn looking last time I was there. The new building in Coralville is mainly for hockey as I understand it. I don't know how it will be for volleyball, but I suspect a little too large. Saint Louis built a combo practice/competition facility about 10 years ago, but it looks and feels like a high school gym.

I know there are a number of major schools with dedicated facilities and those can be pretty nice, but playing in the schools main arena isn't the worst thing. Ask UNI if they'd rather move back to the West Gym ;)
I have been to Wisconsin Fieldhouse and it's a tremendous home court for the Badgers - seats almost 7,000. Very well maintained. Minnesota's is great too, although smaller. That's why I've always been behind the idea of taking over the Armory and remodeling it for volleyball/wrestling - the fans would be right on top of you, like Wisky and Minn.
To your other point, I agree that playing in Hilton is not a reason for our program's decline. We used to be almost unbeatable there.

• Agree
Reactions: StClone

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I have been to Wisconsin Fieldhouse and it's a tremendous home court for the Badgers - seats almost 7,000. Very well maintained. Minnesota's is great too, although smaller. That's why I've always been behind the idea of taking over the Armory and remodeling it for volleyball/wrestling - the fans would be right on top of you, like Wisky and Minn.
To your other point, I agree that playing in Hilton is not a reason for our program's decline. We used to be almost unbeatable there.

With the planned Trice/Hilton development, there is no better time than now to build a venue that can house year around events, including ISU VB, Wrestling and Gymnastics. In fact, I am surprised it isn't on the existing plans given how it would stimulate year round revenues and ROI for the adjacent hotel and restaurants planned for the complex. The Armory's lack of parking and cost to repurpose into an acceptable competition venue would not favorably compare to a new building near Hilton and JTS.

And it's no coincidence IMO that ISU VB has fallen behind all of the other surrounding B10, Big East and SEC programs with smaller VB venues.

Row55

Feb 21, 2009

Agree that Minnesota has a great setup. And I do think the Wisconsin Fieldhouse is a cool building in its own right, and it might have had a sprucing up since I was there last. What I recall while wandering behind the stands is dark, dingy walls with painted-over windows and peeling paint.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
#2 Texas is upset 3-2 by Louisville tonight in Austin for the Round of 16. Texas was my pick to win it all.

#1 Baylor beats Purdue 3-1 and will face #8 Washington in the Regional Final.

All other top seeds advance with Stanford edging out Utah in 5 sets late last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buster28

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
#2 Texas is upset 3-2 by Louisville tonight in Austin for the Round of 16. Texas was my pick to win it all.

#1 Baylor beats Purdue 3-1 and will face #8 Washington in the Regional Final.

All other top seeds advance with Stanford edging out Utah in 5 sets late last night.
I watched sets 3, 4, and 5 of the Texas match last night (and part of Stanford/Utah before giving in to heavy eyelids). Louisville had won the first two in Austin before UT came roaring back. The 5th set was very satisfying viewing for me (I really don't care for the Texas coach at all). Unseeded Louisville advances to its first regional final. Texas loses at home in the tournament for the first time since 2006.

The current bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/volleyball-women/d1/2019

So, the Big 10 advances four teams to the regional finals, while the Pac 12 has two, and the Big 12 and ACC each send a single team. We'll know who's going to the vball Final Four in Pittsburgh by the end of tonight!

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Baylor beats Washington 3-1 to reach Final 4.

Wisconsin currently leads Nebraska 2 sets to 0.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Wisconsin wins in 3 sets to head to Final 4 to play Baylor.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Stanford takes last spot in Final 4 beating Penn St. in 3 sets.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
On December 19th, the national semi-finals will be played in Pittsburgh. The 6:00 (CST) match will be (1) Baylor vs (4) Wisconsin, while the 8:30 match will be (3) Stanford vs (7) Minnesota. The championship match will be on December 21st at 7:00.

On a side note, TCU made it to the NIVC semi-finals before losing to Georgia Tech, in Atlanta, 3-1. South Dakota hosts Tech in the finals on the 17th.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I think the announcers said they have swept Nebby 3 times this year.

3 games 3-0 sweeps- Cook has got the likes of Kubik ,Sun, Stivrins but WI have Tiffany Clark, Sydney Hilley setter and Libero which Nebraska can't touch. You add Rettke, Haggerty and a couple others who contribute as RS and MB and it isn't close.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron