INSTANT REACTION: Iowa 84, Iowa State 68

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cybball37

Dec 11, 2015
Central Iowa
A serious question to any that were in Hilton for this debacle. Did Prohm show any emotion? Did any of his coaches? Did they even seem pissed? I couldn't honestly tell on TV. I was trying to figure that out but couldn't. I don't think you have to be a coach Knight to get players to respond, or hustle, or turn up intensity. I do, however, think there needs to be some fierceness in a coach once and a while. I saw lots of dogging it down the floor, completely stupid turnovers, horrid shooting, etc. I've had a lot of coaches that would have chewed me a new one for that, and it would have turned things around fast if I still wanted to be on the field.

Reactions: ISUKyro

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I'm still standing with Prohm too but he has to find a way to motivate the guys to play hard. They looked like they were shell shocked the entire first half. Then they found some confidence when they got it to 7 but then Iowa answered with a 3 and they were done.

this was the most disappointing thing about the game. This team had really played hard up until last night.

they got punched in the mouth and wilted.

again, not terribly dissimilar from when Iowa played Depaul for a frame of reference. But we ain’t here for understanding, we here for the meltdown.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
One way solving a zone is attacking the gaps cut to the hoop.

You have to make quick passes drive into those gaps and shoot a closer jumper or possibly look to dump to the post.. Don't worry about what analytics says take the 15 foot shot or pull up jumper if there.

I was of the opinion Fred was a big analytics guy ( I am probably wrong) 2 for 1, its a 3 or a layup nothing in between. Don't know if Prohm follows a similar idea

With this team and shooting challenges, I just think you kind of have to go back to more old school, assume there is no 3 point line anymore, how do you approach scoring in that environment.. Where do you put up shots from.

I think the evidence suggests that 2 for 1’s are that important to CSP and that he is not all that bothered by long 2’s.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
this was the most disappointing thing about the game. This team had really played hard up until last night.

again, not terribly dissimilar from when Iowa played Depaul for a frame of reference. But we ain’t here for understanding, we here for the meltdown.

Hopefully they can respond like Iowa did. Need to win the next three and then they will have a chance to redeem themselves versus KU at home.

CyClwCub

Mar 7, 2019
1. Prohm can't coach during games What coach won the Big 12 tourney last year?
2. Prohm can't recruit Who has the 2nd best recruitingg class next year, brought in TH, THT and Wiggs along with many others
3. Prohm can't judge talent. TH and THT weren't even high recruits.
4. Prohm didn,t beat Iowa Get over it!
If THT would have come back this year, which I think Prohm probably thought it would take at least 2 years before he went pro, this team would be completely different.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Is there a player more frustrating to watch than Mike? He is SO good sometimes...and shockingly bad at others.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
1. Prohm can't coach during games What coach won the Big 12 tourney last year?
2. Prohm can't recruit Who has the 2nd best recruitingg class next year, brought in TH, THT and Wiggs along with many others
3. Prohm can't judge talent. TH and THT weren't even high recruits.
4. Prohm didn,t beat Iowa Get over it!
If THT would have come back this year, which I think Prohm probably thought it would take at least 2 years before he went pro, this team would be completely different.

1. He can't. You do know that the players have some input when determining the output of the game?

2. No one is saying this.

3. Again, no one is saying this.

4. No. It's not just Iowa. It's a trend that's magnified by an in-state rival with a f****** insufferable fanbase, players, and coach. Part of what makes college ball great is NOT getting over rivalries.

As for if THT would have come back? Well, he didn't. It's up to the staff to make sure pieces are in place if that happens.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa

"they got punched in the mouth and wilted".....YA THINK!!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
A serious question to any that were in Hilton for this debacle. Did Prohm show any emotion? Did any of his coaches? Did they even seem pissed? I couldn't honestly tell on TV. I was trying to figure that out but couldn't. I don't think you have to be a coach Knight to get players to respond, or hustle, or turn up intensity. I do, however, think there needs to be some fierceness in a coach once and a while. I saw lots of dogging it down the floor, completely stupid turnovers, horrid shooting, etc. I've had a lot of coaches that would have chewed me a new one for that, and it would have turned things around fast if I still wanted to be on the field.

He got a little pissed. But honestly, the game was lost in the first 3 minutes. How pissed can you get 10 minutes in when you're down 18-4?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Hopefully they can respond like Iowa did. Need to win the next three and then they will have a chance to redeem themselves versus KU at home.

the reason it sucks so bad is because of who it was against.

It was a dreadful effort in every facet. If you looked at the faces of the players during the first half, they looked dazed.

prohm looked pissed. He needed to use more of his timeouts early. Think he alluded to that in the postgame.

CyClwCub

Mar 7, 2019
1. He can't. You do know that the players have some input when determining the output of the game?

2. No one is saying this.

3. Again, no one is saying this.

4. No. It's not just Iowa. It's a trend that's magnified by an in-state rival with a f****** insufferable fanbase, players, and coach. Part of what makes college ball great is NOT getting over rivalries.

As for if THT would have come back? Well, he didn't. It's up to the staff to make sure pieces are in place if that happens.

Your argument for my 1. is silly. Of course the players have input but so does the coach or are you saying it is all on the players last night? Number 2 and 3 just look at all the posts throughout the boards. Number 4 I am also a long time Clone fan and have gone through the ups and downs. I was there in '77 before Johnny and I grew up a ISU fan and if I thought Prohm couldn't coach I would be right with you. I was very disappointed in the loss.
I think the coaching staff went after what they thought would be decent shooting guards, that I agree was a big miss and will be the biggest problem this year.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Your argument for my 1. is silly. Of course the players have input but so does the coach or are you saying it is all on the players last night?

It's not silly. What I'm saying is that even a team with no active coaching in game day can win games if they have talent and desire.

It's when things start to go south that the coach needs to make adjustments. We are seeing time and time again that Prohm just isn't doing that. We're also seeing our team not come out ready to play. That's on both players and coach, but I'm putting it mostly on the guy getting paid literally millions to make sure the team is ready.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

Cyclone951

Nov 29, 2019
Chris, you just need to admit the facts about Prohm in your columns and pods:

1) Prohm has crushed Hilton Magic. 5-5 in last 10 relevant games there. Not with rebuilding teams and with a lot of sloppy ball.

2) Prohm year 4 the program is not better than it was. That is the sign of a good hire.

3) Prohm inherited a solid situation in Murray State then never went back to the tourney. He inherited a great situation at ISU and isn’t doing much since.

4) Prohm has never beaten a Power 6 team in the big dance. We all know that any competent basketball person could’ve coached that 2016 team to the Sweet 16 given the draw they had that year.

5). Great, he has recruited some. What good is it if they don’t do anything with the talent? Wigginton - 0 tourney wins.

6) Players don’t seem to like or respect him. He let THT do some really stupid things as a frosh with no repercussions. He continues to let Jacobson and Nixon shoot in spots that hurt the team. McKay hated him. Two dudes leave a week before the season opener. Rumor is wigginton would’ve left had he not went pro.

At some point we need to realize this guy is not doing it.

clonehoodie

May 14, 2017
The offense has not changed, even with 2 bigs. Except this year no one can shoot.

Watch the game again, see how everyone just stands around on offense. Nothing new there, that's been going on for the past decade.

And the efense ? A drive to the hoop by Weiskamp ? OLE' !! OLE' !!! OLE' !!!

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO

I remember at one point during the second half he looked visibly frustrated when we didn't execute a press correctly. There was probably a lot of frustration that he didn't show. Just a bad night for all involved.

Reactions: Cybball37