Recent CyHawk Series Performance

Deanster

Mar 3, 2012
Bull****. Beating your rival is a priority. You think Texas & Michigan are brushing off their recent lack of success against their primary rivals? At least they live in different states. We have to face hawk roaches on a daily basis. It's beyond annoying.

Big difference. Conference rivalries are far more important.

• Agree
Reactions: BoxsterCy

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
When all things are pretty much even the team that does the little things, doesnt make mistakes, and pays attention to detail will be just a little bit better. Prime example, when's the last time an Iowa special teams player took out his own punt returner with game winning drive ensuing?

1943 no film to back it up, just rumored..

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Let's move on and get ready for the incredibly tough Big 12.

Why is Haliburton a lottery pick ? He has the body of George Gervin - at his height, that won't cut it in today's NBA.. Add to that "no defensive desire" - like the rest of the team.
The kid has only had 4 birthdays, so cut him some slack. He will likely have a little more meat on his bones when he gets a little older. That 6'5" and 7' wingspan isn't going away, though. Neither is that vision and playmaking.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
My answer is simple and I have been around this disastrous series ...sure isnt a rivalry...since its inception in 1977 ....Its really simple....IOWA WANTS TO BEAT ISU'S BRAINS OUT EVERY TIME THEY PLAY.....Unless you match their desire to win and intensity to deliver said win....You will keep LOSING for the rest of fricking time...Don't believe me just look at our record against the ChokeEyes!!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I'm sick and tired of getting whipped by them and saying "it was their superbowl". That's lame. I'm ok with it being my superbowl. I hate them. I hate losing to them. I hate the condescending BS I have to listen to at work about what a good try we gave it. This applies to football too. I want to kick Iowa's ass as bad as anyone in the B12. Call me what you want, but the Iowa Game is kinda my superbowl. We don't win against them enough to have a carefree attitude about it. They own us and I can't for the life of me figure out why our teams/coaches don't feel the same way I do.

**Edit** Sorry, kinda still angry from last night.

I guess because majority of people in this state thinks that Iowa is the One and only University thats worth supporting....Ask our Losing Ass Coaches...

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The truth is:

Iowa has better coaches...in every sport. We need to stop on this message board having so many condescending threads about Iowa....when the truth is we are getting our asses kicked.

Something about program stability should also be noted. They've had 1 football coach and basically 2 basketball coaches since the turn of the last century.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Agree - and last season didn't "finish" well. Our first round NCAA game against Ohio State - the climax of the year and every team's goal from the beginning of fall practice - and ISU just seems to mail it in?

Simple answer, I don't know, but it happens. Happened to Fred. Happened to Eustachy. Happened to Coach K. It shouldn't be some shocking event.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
OMG - so defending Hilton against our hated arch-rival doesn't make it hugely important to us? This notion that Iowa "wants it more" is pure BS.

In the big picture winning conference games is more important, winning in March is more important. Yes this team should be up for any game in Hilton, but for the last 5 years Iowa has been jacked up for this game. After the game their players even said it is the biggest game of the year for them.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Football problem number 1. Iowa does not turn the ball over vs ISU, and ISU is not known for forcing turnovers. That needs to change. At the current trajectory ISU/Iowa are similar in terms of talent. Something needs to swing the game in ISU's favor.

Iowa has it faults but over the years Ferentz has done well grinding out games. Obviously that approach has led to them losing quite a few games they shouldn't have as well. Point being ISU is in a similar place as Iowa in terms of being in every game whether good or bad. KF has a bit more experience than CMC playing the long game and grinding things out, and I think that's played a role in the H2H these last 3 years.

ISU got a taste this year of the KF special where the hawks would go 7-5 with a bunch of close loses to the top teams.

ISU IMO has the capability of being great each week, but they miss on executing the little things. Not sure what needs to happen to change that.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
In the big picture winning conference games is more important, winning in March is more important. Yes this team should be up for any game in Hilton, but for the last 5 years Iowa has been jacked up for this game. After the game their players even said it is the biggest game of the year for them.
Who said that?

Reactions: CyBobby

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
The truth is:

Iowa has better coaches...in every sport. We need to stop on this message board having so many condescending threads about Iowa....when the truth is we are getting our asses kicked.
Cue that idiot CyTwins. Ever since he started his nonsense, we haven’t beat them but he can’t keep his mouth shut.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: CyBobby and Gonzo

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Simple answer, I don't know, but it happens. Happened to Fred. Happened to Eustachy. Happened to Coach K. It shouldn't be some shocking event.
Upsets happen but Prohm has 4 NCAA tourney wins in his life and the highest seed is a 11. Those other coaches have shown they can win games too.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If you look at the CyHawk scoring and who "wins" on total points each year it's generally been a push with the team that hosts the most games/matches/meets winning it. This year is one of the exceptions with us hosting the bigger point contests and pretty much getting shutout. Advantage will remain with Hawks next year, they host the big contests. Maybe shift back to us in 2021 when we host.

With that said, I do sense, even outside of the versus Iowa stuff, that we are in a bit of program wide slump with the exception of football. WBB had an up last year but missed their shot at the Sweet Sixteen and look to be maybe a bubble team in a pretty weak Big 12. MBB is going to struggle in a strong Big 12. Volleyball is just hanging on as a NCAA bubble squad. Men's cross country had the NCAA champ but he's graduating and the women's cross country is now one very very good runner (Big 12 champ) and than much less than the last 10 years. Last year we were 7th in the Big 12 Learfield Directors' Cup scoring and 53rd in Div 1. For a P5 it's seems to be sort of a weak score. In 2013-14 we were #38 and for 2014-15 we were #45 which was pretty good for a low budget P5.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The thing is ISU is in a good place in most sports. Iowa just seems to be a little better.....

I'm too lazy to look it up, but has MadFran ever had a team ranked at the end of the season?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Rob Howe

@RobHoweHN

Joe Wieskamp: This probably the one game on the schedule I consider a must win.
Then I would hope our current players who are worth anything think the same, especially at Hilton? The Iowa game a must win? I'm sure they did under Orr, Floyd, Eustachy and Hoiberg.
To have our players claim "Iowa wanted it more. etc." is pathetic IMO. It's not like you have to "ration out" your effort throughout the season. And it's also a cop-out, as they really mean "if we had given 100% it would have been a different game." No, it means you're not willing to compete.

• Agree
Reactions: UnCytely

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron