CF STAFF CHAT: Discussing the Iowa loss and season outlook

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
"They’re one of the 15 worst shooting teams in college basketball and yet they rank in the top-85 in 3-point attempts. Something does not add up there."

That is a big yikes and needs to be corrected.
giphy.gif

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
"Williams: This team can still get into the NCAA Tournament. That should be the goal. Just get in."

I think Chris should be looking at the rest of the schedule and the "odds" of this right now. If we win the rest of the non-conf and lose to Auburn, we need to go 13-5 in the B12 to be 21-10 going into the B12 tourney. 13-5 is going to be massive to overcome.

Capture.JPG

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
"Williams: This team can still get into the NCAA Tournament. That should be the goal. Just get in."

I think Chris should be looking at the rest of the schedule and the "odds" of this right now. If we win the rest of the non-conf and lose to Auburn, we need to go 13-5 in the B12 to be 21-10 going into the B12 tourney. 13-5 is going to be massive to overcome.

View attachment 69209
If we are 8-5 in all our non-con games we do not need to go 13-5 in conference play to make the tourney. 9-9 and we are probably on the wrong side of the bubble, 10 wins on the right side of the bubble, and 11 wins safely in.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Why would we need to be 21-10? Baylor and OU were 19-13 last year and both got #9 seeds. Not even close to the bubble? 19 is the probable number we need.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

View attachment 69209

we don’t need to be 21-10 going into the tournament. If we are 21-10 we are probably a six seed or better.

for all of the experts on here, most of you have no clue how modern day NCAA selection works.

BACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
I also agreed with the comment at the end about defending the home court better, just from a pure fan perspective. The natives need home wins.

Logistically, wins are precious (as noted above) and home wins should be easier. The team MUST pick the low hanging fruit (home wins) and battle with defense to grab some of those needed wins on the road. That will get you the "minimum" 10-8 conference record.

MJN

Aug 13, 2011
Urbandale
My whole thing is for the past couple years they say the correct things after the game. "Defense, Toughness, Intensity, etc" but nothing really changes. At some point the words are becoming empty. How do you not come out ready to play last night? Baffling.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Interesting that the whole discussion is pertaining to the specific game last night.

Last night's loss isn't about just last night, if that makes sense.

Did anyone bring anything up pertaining to trends over multiple seasons?

CW brought up how ISU needs to be the 'nastiest, grittiest' etc....that's roughly what CSP said two seasons ago in a season when they weren't the nastiest, grittiest team and had a losing record.

At some point the foundation needs to be more than emotional.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I find it interesting that everyone makes a big deal of beating Seton Hall while forgetting they lost one of their top scorers and post early in the game. HUGE difference. Excuses can be made, but this is just not a very good team and we may have to feel good about a 16-15 record. It’s quite possible it will be worse.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
CF Slack chat definitely had a different vibe than the forums after a loss to the Hawkeyes. Good stuff.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
This team has its issue but as bad as it has played at times they still have had a shot in every game. If they start playing smarter they have a chance.

The biggest issue with last night and this season is the shot selection at times. They took too many bad shots in the first 10 min. Jake is a bad 3point shooter, he may think he is a good shooter out there but the stats don't back it up. Young cannot hit shots outside 10 feet. They need to stop taking those shots.

I think the team played better with Bolton running point and Haliburton running around trying to get open, in their set offense.

You wont see me tough on CSP much but one of his biggest weaknesses seems to be the dealing with the lineup. We saw it last year and it is seems to be the same this. Sometimes a shakeup is needed, sometimes it is time to put a different player in the starting line up. The same lineup and substation pattern doesn't always work game to game.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
control-F Haliburton...not one mention. Our best player...not one mention. Weird.

Help Support Us

Become a patron