This is why Prohm must go........

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Have Bolton drive the zone gaps.

Personally I don't care about 3 point shooting this year, we have Bolton and Hali who can get to the rim with ease when they want to. The problem is they aren't in the attacking mentality they need to be in.

You don’t need to be a 3 point team, but you need one weapon to keep the other team in check behind the the arc. Who is that guy for us?

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
ISU plays scared because they are coached scared. Prohm said he wanted 4 guys back on transition D and said we lost the game because of transition D! WOW, I watched the wrong game!

Most people understand you can suck the will out of the opposition with offensive rebounds. With a philosophy like the above, ISU will lose. Iowa got offensive rebounds a lot and some big ones where you could feel momentum being smashed away from ISU. The lack of offensive board aggressiveness carries over to defensive boards. The team plays scared and is coached scared. Think of the guards last night. When they 'drove' to the basket they decided to take running floaters instead of going strong to the hoop. This is the very definition of playing scared. The coach has been coaching scared and it shows with this team.

This team can't shoot, defend or rebound. They are mediocre at best and when there is no effort there will be major issues throughout the season.

You have a link to these statements?

• Dislike
Reactions: Statefan515ISU

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
You don’t need to be a 3 point team, but you need one weapon to keep the other team in check behind the the arc. Who is that guy for us?

Please read my post that you replied to. I said I don't care about 3 point shooting this year. We have Bolton and Hali who can drive with ease when they want to. It's my opinion 1 of them should be driving to the basket every time down court. That opens up spots for others or they can finish which they are both good at.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
That's is the effect that losing has on the fan base. If Prohm doesn't lose at home, then he doesn't have to worry about the families of recruits being turned off by negative messages on Iowa State message boards.

You’re not even an Iowa State fan. You’re only here to revel in losses.

• Useful
Reactions: CyBobby

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Is there anyone that wouldn't have signed up for a split this week facing the #16 team in the country and then a team's Super Bowl? Honest question and I'm fine if the answer is no because we should never expect to lose at Hilton but I just know there were a lot of people predicting 0-2

There were a lot of the “fans” hoping for 0-2

last night was awful. And with every loss the crewe becomes more and more difficult.

the best is we have gone from Fred ball washers to TJ ball washers.

gonna be a fun winter. Hope we can win some games so these folks get even madder when they can’t post here.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
There were a lot of the “fans” hoping for 0-2

last night was awful. And with every loss the crewe becomes more and more difficult.

the best is we have gone from Fred ball washers to TJ ball washers.

gonna be a fun winter. Hope we can win some games so these folks get even madder when they can’t post here.

UNLV is awful this year

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Please read my post that you replied to. I said I don't care about 3 point shooting this year. We have Bolton and Hali who can drive with ease when they want to. It's my opinion 1 of them should be driving to the basket every time down court. That opens up spots for others or they can finish which they are both good at.

it doesn’t matter if “you” don’t care about three point shooting. If you don’t have perimeter shooters, you have no outer threat, thus the other team plays zone. If the other team plays zone, the lanes are clogged and you have no room for the pick and roll for Hali. Thus you’ve shut down our best offensive player

• Agree
Reactions: tzjung

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Desperate times. Maybe he should? He shows he can beat a guy one on one. Do that, otherwise without him, we literally have no three point threat.
If you put Haliburton in a corner, we wouldn't win another game all year. Him and Conditt in the pick and roll has been our most efficient offense so far. One of the reasons Iowa's zone killed us was because this was really our only successful offense so far. Bolton only drives with his right hand, Nixon can't finish anything off the dribble, and you aren't going to ask Jacobson or Young to handle the ball either. Best offense is to run the pick and roll, and if Bolton or Nixon is on the side, make people close out to create their lanes.

Also, you said to put him in isolation with the floor spread. That doesn't work against a zone either!!!

Last edited:

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
it doesn’t matter if “you” don’t care about three point shooting. If you don’t have perimeter shooters, you have no outer threat, thus the other team plays zone. If the other team plays zone, the lanes are clogged and you have no room for the pick and roll for Hali. Thus you’ve shut down our best offensive player

Actually it does matter because it's my opinion, just like what you are saying matters because it's your opinion. I'm not the coach and you are the coach so what we discuss is just fodder on a message board.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
If you put Haliburton in a corner, we wouldn't win another game all year. Him and Conditt in the pick and roll has been our most efficient offense so far. One of the reasons Iowa's zone killed us was because this was really our only successful offense so far. Bolton only drives with his right hand, Nixon can't finish anything off the dribble, and you aren't going to ask Jacobson or Young to handle the ball either. Best offense is to run the pick and roll, and if Bolton or Nixon is on the side, make people close out to create their lanes.
Do you know why we didn’t do the pick and roll last night? Because Iowa showed zone. You know why Iowa showed zone, because we have no perimeter threat. Who won the game in result?

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Do you know why we didn’t do the pick and roll last night? Because Iowa showed zone. You know why Iowa showed zone, because we have no perimeter threat. Who won the game in result?
Iowa plays 80-90% zone year round, it wasn't just for us. Also, the corner isn't the best spot for the 3 pointer against the zone. Haliburton had plenty of looks from 3 that he wisely passed up. Key is getting it to someone in the middle of the zone and playing from there. We started doing that in the second half and Iowa adjusted to bring a 4th defender to one side of the court to open up the skip pass, however with no Hali cutting middle they didn't do it. So I don't know how we are supposed to put Hali in a corner to have him put shots up.

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Actually it does matter because it's my opinion, just like what you are saying matters because it's your opinion. I'm not the coach and you are the coach so what we discuss is just fodder on a message board.

my opinion is that we need to go iso offense for the first five possessions and let Hali ball until the other teams catches on and transition back to regular pick and roll offense. I also think we should play a full court press and force the other team to turn the ball over a ton.

Prohm is too stubborn to make any changes though.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: ATCy and moores2

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Iowa plays 80-90% zone year round, it wasn't just for us. Also, the corner isn't the best spot for the 3 pointer against the zone. Haliburton had plenty of looks from 3 that he wisely passed up. Key is getting it to someone in the middle of the zone and playing from there. We started doing that in the second half and Iowa adjusted to bring a 4th defender to one side of the court to open up the skip pass, however with no Hali cutting middle they didn't do it. So I don't know how we are supposed to put Hali in a corner to have him put shots up.

put Hali in position for more three point shots. Usually that’s a swing offense with him as a 3, which results him in the corner.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
my opinion is that we need to go iso offense for the first five possessions and let Hali ball until the other teams catches on and transition back to regular pick and roll offense. I also think we should play a full court press and force the other team to turn the ball over a ton.

Haliburton has shown 0 isolation moves one on one so far. I have no idea where you are getting that idea in your head.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

I actually agree with your first paragraph. But I would like us to get Bolton started earlier too. Once he gets going he's near unstopable - see the 2nd halfs of the 2 games prior to Iowa.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
put Hali in position for more three point shots. Usually that’s a swing offense with him as a 3, which results him in the corner.
What you are trying to say is putting him in the 4 slot, a SHORT CORNER POSITION. Against a zone you aren't supposed to make your way all the way to the corner. Get to the short corner instead.

JimDogRock

Feb 21, 2010
Cedar Falls
89-57 at ISU

52-17 at Hilton

37-40 away/neutral

55-54 vs high major opponents

Not surprising numbers honestly. Prohm has been "okay". But I am getting frustrated with that when I don't see improvements made. I'm talking in-game tactics like offense and defensive sets - Prohm sticks to his guns on these and we all know that. Also, rotation and minutes allocation - we all see Conditt's rapid growth and some of us are worried about Prohm's long-term approach to coaching the underclassmen up.

Before last year's season Prohm mentioned that he had the players read a book called "Chop Wood Carry Water". It's essentially a story about a guy that decides to move to learn from an oldschool sensei the skills to being a feudalistic Japanese samurai archer. It's a tedious process and to succeed you need to stay focused on the entire process of becoming what you want to achieve - greatness.

I remember one section the student is actually practicing archery and struggling while the sensei is quietly observing. The sensei goes and adjusts the student's stance, elbow angle, or something and his accuracy improves.
This is what I do not see from Prohm. Not just shooting (which is painful to watch this year), but plenty of other things where it's obvious that the players are not being corrected as needed. Look at our undisciplined fast break offense and defense. It's helter skelter. Sure the basics are there, but we have at least 1 player lacking in effort most of the time. That kills spacing on offensive breaks and forces awkward scramble defense on defense.

Prohm has touted having a free flowing offense for a while. He especially sold that when taking over after Hoiberg. He gives the players the freedom, but he's not making them play by his rules enough. Perhaps he gets some relatively better recruiting talent by selling that to the guys he goes after. That seems short-sighted and goes against the philosophy he says he's teaching his players. What I mean by that is that if he really was about instilling the idea of making his players "chop wood" and "carry water" then he'd get their asses in the right spot when running a fast break.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron