Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Thanks to @cyclones500 for this idea, too! I'm going to copy and paste:

A twist on the “have dinner/drink with…” theme: Suppose you’re a writer, reporter, documentarian or such. Who would you most want to interview for a Q&A? Living or dead. You may list up to three.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Actor - Keanu Reeves. He seems like a pretty down to earth guy
Writer - Mark Twain. I think he would just be interesting to talk to
Historical figure - Julius Caesar. He ruled over a massive part of the known world at one time.

Reactions: Angie

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Teddy Roosevelt is at the top of my list. The guy never stopped. Read 3 books a day, authored hundreds. Went on many death defying safaris. Fought in a war, ran the country, got shot before a campaign speech and lasted an hour speaking before reluctantly going to the hospital.

Next would be Joe Rogan. The guy is so versatile and doesn't usually do interviews.

Last I think you have to go with Kurt Cobain.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
1. George Washington. Because he was a badass.
2. Da Vinci. Because he was a genius ahead of his time. I'd ask him if he'd be OK with having delicious pizza restaurants named after him.
3. Johnny Orr. Because I've heard plenty of stories about how funny he was, and I would have liked to experience that.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Ideally, I'd do 3 living/3 dead, but I set the rule "up to 3," I'm self-limited. So I'll use the Dead category.
1. Kurt Vonnegut
2. John Lennon
3. Johnny Orr (there'd be no shortage of good material, I'm guessing)
---> Considered a U.S. president, but not sure who'd produce the best stuff. T.R., maybe (during a safari or something)?

Reactions: Angie

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
My great - grandfather. Was a world renown paleontologist. In fact, a book was just written about his life. He died young (42) fifty-some years before I was born. Also traveled to S. America via freighter on scientific missions a couple of times.

John Lennon - Not much to learn since there's already been thousands of interviews etc, Just an interesting man and always spoke his mind. Even if his opinion was different today than last year.

Christopher Columbus - Especially in his later few years just to hear stories of his life.

Last edited:

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
I was stuck thinking in terms of famous people, your mention of great-grandfather reminds my how I regret not doing formal recorded/written interview w/ my dad.

Yes, now there are things I really would have liked to talk about. I remember some of his stories fairly well. Others I kind of have an overall sense of it but have forgotten or (probably) miss-remember details. Also would have liked to ask him about his older relatives that he remembered who died before I was born.

One good thing - one of my great aunts on my mother's side wrote "The Story Of My Life" in her later years (around 1970). She had been a teacher in a one room schoolhouse and after marriage had so many tough things happen to them (including a house fire - where they ended up converting a chicken coop in to their home afterwards!). It's about 32 pages and really well written. I've told myself I will do something similar (with pictures, thanks to technology) for future generations, but so far have only sort of done an outline. One of my winter goals this year is digitizing my photos, so that should get the ball rolling on that front.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Mostly musicians whose songwriting intrigues the **** out of me. Specifically the following:

Paul Westerberg
Evan Felker (Turnpike Troubadours)
Mike Cooley (Drive-By Truckers)
Jerry Jeff Walker
Todd Snider

Reactions: cyclones500

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
1. George Washington. Because he was a badass.
2. Da Vinci. Because he was a genius ahead of his time. I'd ask him if he'd be OK with having delicious pizza restaurants named after him.
3. Johnny Orr. Because I've heard plenty of stories about how funny he was, and I would have liked to experience that.

My Dad used to say he'd be on a phone call with Orr (Dad was in media relations at one point) - didn't know Orr very well at all but Orr would be talking and cussing like they were best friends instantly. You couldn't help but love him.

Reactions: cyclones500

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Teddy Roosevelt for sure. I'd really like to have him and John Muir in the room and discuss conservation, national parks, and time in the wilderness.

Richard Feynman to discuss math, physics, chemistry, and molecular biology (one of his interests towards the end of his career). I'd really like to know how he came up with his Feynman diagrams. Carl Sagan would also be fascinating.

For music, I think a discussion with Thom Yorke would be very insightful. He's covered a lot of ground in music types over the years and pushed the envelope.

Help Support Us

Become a patron