This is why Prohm must go........

jpete24

Wearing nut cup since 2002
SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
College basketball isn't that hard of a formula, and it's frustrating to me to watch our coaching staff not make adjustments and put their foot down with this team and control what you can.

You need posts to dominate the glass and for drive and kick situations, but you can't simply live on only having posts as the defense will collapse and double team posts. Thus you need three-point shooters to scare and threaten from the perimeter and prevent the other team from just running a zone offense and clogging up all the driving lanes. The best historical basketball teams have one good guard and one good post.

• We need to keep our best post players (Conditt, Jacobsen, Solomon) on the post ~ if a post is shooting a midrange shot, he's on the bench.
  • We need to have our best three-point threats (which right now is really only Haliburton) in the corner setup for a potential three-point shot. Haliburton should not be dribbling much unless we are using him for cutting to the basket situations ~ only because he's our only three-point threat
  • There is no way that Bolton or Nixon should be allowed to shoot a three for the rest of the season. Bolton should be allowed to drive to the basket, but that is his only shot. Nixon should be in a "Chris Babb" role where he's not shooting much, but he's only on the court to get assists and shut down the other teams best guy.
  • Everyone else is a role player, but should not be shooting. Haliburton and post players should make up 80% of the offense. The rest of the team needs to focus on shutting teams down on defense.
  • Part of me also wonders if we should go full-court press every game for the rest of the season? This team has the potential to cause a lot of turnovers. This speeds up the game tempo, even if you give up a lot of shots on the other side, but at the end of the day, our offense comes from tempo.
Prohm appears to be very stubborn with A) making changes to the starting roster and B) making adjustments mid-game (reaching to bad situations earlier)

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
LOL. I loved Hoiball, but you don't marry the girl who dumped you for the rich douchebag last year.

This is where I’m at. Would love to have him back but I think he’s college coaching reputation will be ruined at Nebraska.

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Hoiberg is damaged goods. His luster was lost during coaching the Bulls. Why do you think he ended up at kNU, versus another NBA team or a better college destination?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Like I said, terrible seaons don't count? You act as if the other poster just pulled some random year out from 9 years ago to make him look bad. Have you ever heard of current trends?

Why 40 games? What do the last 20 look like? The last 30? 50? I don't pretend to act like the 17-18 season didn't occur. Anybody with half a brain understands what happened that year.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
Why 40 games? What do the last 20 look like? The last 30? 50? I don't pretend to act like the 17-18 season didn't occur. Anybody with half a brain understands what happened that year.

The 40 games actually leaves out the beginning part of 17-18...including Missouri.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
College basketball isn't that hard of a formula, and it's frustrating to me to watch our coaching staff not make adjustments and put their foot down with this team and control what you can.

You need posts to dominate the glass and for drive and kick situations, but you can't simply live on only having posts as the defense will collapse and double team posts. Thus you need three-point shooters to scare and threaten from the perimeter and prevent the other team from just running a zone offense and clogging up all the driving lanes. The best historical basketball teams have one good guard and one good post.

• We need to keep our best post players (Conditt, Jacobsen, Solomon) on the post ~ if a post is shooting a midrange shot, he's on the bench.
  • We need to have our best three-point threats (which right now is really only Haliburton) in the corner setup for a potential three-point shot. Haliburton should not be dribbling much unless we are using him for cutting to the basket situations ~ only because he's our only three-point threat
  • There is no way that Bolton or Nixon should be allowed to shoot a three for the rest of the season. Bolton should be allowed to drive to the basket, but that is his only shot. Nixon should be in a "Chris Babb" role where he's not shooting much, but he's only on the court to get assists and shut down the other teams best guy.
  • Everyone else is a role player, but should not be shooting. Haliburton and post players should make up 80% of the offense. The rest of the team needs to focus on shutting teams down on defense.
  • Part of me also wonders if we should go full-court press every game for the rest of the season? This team has the potential to cause a lot of turnovers. This speeds up the game tempo, even if you give up a lot of shots on the other side, but at the end of the day, our offense comes from tempo.
Prohm appears to be very stubborn with A) making changes to the starting roster and B) making adjustments mid-game (reaching to bad situations earlier)
Put Haliburton in a corner and don't let him dribble. Oh my word that may be the worst take I have ever seen.

Mods... is this bannable?

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Put Haliburton in a corner and don't let him dribble. Oh my word that may be the worst take I have ever seen.

You can use him if you put in isolation (everybody get out to the wings and let him drive), or you pick and roll every play. Otherwise, you have no three point threat. Who else do you put out there to force the defense away from the zone?

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
You can use him if you put in isolation (everybody get out to the wings and let him drive), or you pick and roll every play. Otherwise, you have no three point threat. Who else do you put out there to force the defense away from the zone?
Haliburton in the pick and roll is the entire offense when another team plays man to man. I don't know if Haliburton has taken his man one on one off the dribble really all year unless it was on a closeout, or fast break.

jpete24

SuperFanatic
Mar 25, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Haliburton in the pick and roll is the entire offense when another team plays man to man. I don't know if Haliburton has taken his man one on one off the dribble really all year unless it was on a closeout, or fast break.

Desperate times. Maybe he should? He shows he can beat a guy one on one. Do that, otherwise without him, we literally have no three point threat.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Have Bolton drive the zone gaps.

Personally I don't care about 3 point shooting this year, we have Bolton and Hali who can get to the rim with ease when they want to. The problem is they aren't in the attacking mentality they need to be in.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Prohm is a fine recruiter, but well below average in-game IMO. We struggle to adjust, and he sticks to his game plan no matter what. It has cost us in huge moments, and it will continue to do so. He is stubborn, and isn't a good enough recruiter to overcome his inability to coach. Get TJ on speed dial.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron