WBB Iowa State - Iowa 12/11/2019

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
We can complain about lack of adjustments all we want, but I didn’t see key players looking for their shots tonight. Scott was as meek as a lamb and Rae just plain stopped shooting. I also observed that Maggie is very very very slow on defense and Joens is easy to beat off the dribble. Just lots of problems I hadn’t seen all year long against the one team I hate the most.

geewago

Jan 1, 2013
Waco,tx
Need to give a shout out to @NWICY for letting me sit with him in his most awesome season ticket seats. Even spied a couple of player alumni a few seats away. The loss sucked but it was great to be in Hilton again. NWICY even nabbed himself one of those t-shirts they were throwing into the crowd.
I know what you mean. NWICY has some super good seats. I've sat there before.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Pretty classless of Doyle to be screaming in celebration knowing Fenelly's situation today. There's a reason she was the only one on her team doing it. Her teammates had more sense.

I laughed when they had the tidbit at the beginning about how she's sooo nice off the court.

It's very easy to be nice to people in a normal setting. It's when you're put into a stress or pressure situation (like, say, a game) that your real self comes out. Same thing goes for Fran.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

kcdc4isu

Dec 2, 2009
west of dm east of cb
IMO the biggest issue outside of cold shooting was experience. They started 3 seniors, a red shirt jr and a soph. We start 2 players that avg 32 and 25 last year, 2 that avg 17 and 10.5 and a freshman and it showed. I do think what happened with Bill's dad had an effect to some degree but poor shooting and experience by their guards was a big factor. The game is over back to the gym and work on what we need to do to go on from here.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Pretty classless of Doyle to be screaming in celebration knowing Fenelly's situation today. There's a reason she was the only one on her team doing it. Her teammates had more sense.

What is Fenelly's situation?

Regardless of whatever this situation is, if you don't want a team to celebrate on your home court then beat them. It's a put up or shut up situation.

Reactions: cyclone13

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
What is Fenelly's situation?

Regardless of whatever this situation is, if you don't want a team to celebrate on your home court then beat them. It's a put up or shut up situation.
Fenelly's dad just passed away (yesterday I believe). Both him and his son were visibly emotional before the game.

• Informative
Reactions: isufbcurt

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

While I found Doyle annoying I guess I just can't find issue in this. It's an emotional rivalry game, you should be allowed to celebrate.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Fenelly's dad just passed away (yesterday I believe). Both him and his son were visibly emotional before the game.
How sad - I can't imagine how they could even be there let alone coach. Thoughts and prayers to Bill, Billy and the whole family.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I watched the 2nd half in the balcony with @Buster28 . I saw @NWICY and @BoxsterCy after the game. Sucks to have lost 4 straight to Bluder. After the game a few IA players I know #25 was one of them turned toward our band and made some gestures. **** Iowa!

Well you all could have stood up and waved ridiculously. I might have seen that and waved back :)
I didn't see the gestures. I really dislike that. The band is not outrageous or nasty.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
As I've thought about the game I wondered how the death of Bill's dad impacted the team psyche. You know how it impacted Bill and Billy. They were on emotional rollercoasters and I commend them for being there in the first place. The team is a family. You can imagine how hearing of Bill's loss impacted their thoughts...it was no longer "this is what we do to beat Iowa" it might have become "oh my gosh I feel for coach" and "we have to get this one for coach." In either case those changes would have a negative impact on performance.

When I watch the replay, I see a couple of glaring things. First, Rae and Kristen were not their normal selves. Rae was pushing to hard (evidenced by the bad passes and shots) and Kristen never seemed to be "there." Second, the team reminded me of what we saw Carlton's junior year. You have a "stud" and the team stands back and watches them do their thing. Complete loss of the concept of team and that will lead to a lost nearly every single time. No one was moving. I watched Iowa's offense and they were constantly on the move. Ours...hey...let's stand in the corners and watch.

All of this is easily fixable. It's just unfortunate it happened on a night when any team can win regardless of how good they are. And yes, Iowa is not a very good team...they were just better than ISU last night.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
And yes, Iowa is not a very good team...they were just better than ISU last night.

Hard to believe this was the same TOE that got crushed into dust at Cedar Falls. But we simply were not ready to play, for whatever reason. I hate that this is the first senior class in the Fennelly era to have been swept by a hok team. And I hate that the (mostly) class-free Bluder has now won two in a row at Hilton, a place where it took nearly 25 years to get a win at all. It was disappointing that last night's crowd was likely the smallest for this rivalry game since the program set an attendance record in 1997 against Iowa. Something major will have to happen to get Hilton back to the days of 10,000+ ACTUAL butts in the seats for nearly every game (I can't help but laugh at the box score attendance figures as those have not been accurate for years now).

Hopefully ISU puts that game behind them, regroups and picks up Ws through the rest of the non-con.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
We can complain about lack of adjustments all we want, but I didn’t see key players looking for their shots tonight. Scott was as meek as a lamb and Rae just plain stopped shooting. I also observed that Maggie is very very very slow on defense and Joens is easy to beat off the dribble. Just lots of problems I hadn’t seen all year long against the one team I hate the most.

There was talk that Rae had been sick with the flu all week (may help explain why she looked really tired in the first half). Also I think if Maddie Wise play this is a very different game.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Hard to believe this was the same TOE that got crushed into dust at Cedar Falls. But we simply were not ready to play, for whatever reason. I hate that this is the first senior class in the Fennelly era to have been swept by a hok team. And I hate that the (mostly) class-free Bluder has now won two in a row at Hilton, a place where it took nearly 25 years to get a win at all. It was disappointing that last night's crowd was likely the smallest for this rivalry game since the program set an attendance record in 1997 against Iowa. Something major will have to happen to get Hilton back to the days of 10,000+ ACTUAL butts in the seats for nearly every game (I can't help but laugh at the box score attendance figures as those have not been accurate for years now).

Hopefully ISU puts that game behind them, regroups and picks up Ws through the rest of the non-con.

At some point you just have to acknowledge the other team or program is just better.

With the next class coming in let’s hope that all changes.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
As I've thought about the game I wondered how the death of Bill's dad impacted the team psyche. You know how it impacted Bill and Billy. They were on emotional rollercoasters and I commend them for being there in the first place. The team is a family. You can imagine how hearing of Bill's loss impacted their thoughts...it was no longer "this is what we do to beat Iowa" it might have become "oh my gosh I feel for coach" and "we have to get this one for coach." In either case those changes would have a negative impact on performance.

When I watch the replay, I see a couple of glaring things. First, Rae and Kristen were not their normal selves. Rae was pushing to hard (evidenced by the bad passes and shots) and Kristen never seemed to be "there." Second, the team reminded me of what we saw Carlton's junior year. You have a "stud" and the team stands back and watches them do their thing. Complete loss of the concept of team and that will lead to a lost nearly every single time. No one was moving. I watched Iowa's offense and they were constantly on the move. Ours...hey...let's stand in the corners and watch.

All of this is easily fixable. It's just unfortunate it happened on a night when any team can win regardless of how good they are. And yes, Iowa is not a very good team...they were just better than ISU last night.

I wanted to say something like this last night when coaching was getting grief last night. Let's see you try to do your job on the day a parent or in Billy's case grandparent passes away. In situations where a team gets hit with an emotional event usually 2 things can happen, you can play inspired and destroy the opponent or play unlike yourself and lose. We just happened to be the latter last night.

WBBfan15

Nov 21, 2018
Why isn't Madison Wise playing?Someone said she has migraines, but you don't sit in a noisy gym with bright lights if you have a migraine.

I suffer from migraines myself, and they are super tricky to treat. I had to try over 6 treatments before I found one that works. I make it through the home games by wearing a hat and taking painkillers before I leave for the game. You also get used to functioning in a lot of pain, so that could be why she seems fine on the bench. Exercise can be a migraine trigger for me, and that may be a contributing factor for Maddie. Either way, I feel really bad for her and I hope for her sake (and the team) that she finds something that helps soon!

ISU71

Jan 16, 2013

Maybe, just maybe, this is what they are instructed to do?? It is natural for players to move unless instructed otherwise to remain in an area. One on one offense starting with a high pick and roll is planned and if other players were instructed to "move, cut, screen away, back door, etc." while the high pick and roll is trending, as opiners have suggested, they would be doing that. Its the offensive plan and the players doing exactly what they are told to do by the coaches. Its not the players. JMO

• Agree
Reactions: barometriclow

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I suffer from migraines myself, and they are super tricky to treat. I had to try over 6 treatments before I found one that works. I make it through the home games by wearing a hat and taking painkillers before I leave for the game. You also get used to functioning in a lot of pain, so that could be why she seems fine on the bench. Exercise can be a migraine trigger for me, and that may be a contributing factor for Maddie. Either way, I feel really bad for her and I hope for her sake (and the team) that she finds something that helps soon!

Having never experienced migraines, I'm curious how this works. Is this likely something she's been "playing through" her whole life? Do you develop migraines?

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Maybe Doyle can go build a dam after this.
Again, you may find Doyle annoying but bringing her looks into is total BS... it is quite evident what you mean by this comment and it is ridiculous.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Having never experienced migraines, I'm curious how this works. Is this likely something she's been "playing through" her whole life? Do you develop migraines?

I've had migraines for a lot of my life, probably starting in my teens, but I wasn't really diagnosed until I was in my late 30s. Very fortunately the first prescription drug my then-doctor offered worked for me. Many others are not so fortunate. You can develop them over time, and they can ease up or go away over time. Again, very fortunately, mine have eased off considerably. Plus, my specific med went off trademark a few years ago, so when I do need to order I get generics at no cost through my insurance.

Migraines can be a bear, often because everything you (I) want to do like curl up in a ball and sleep in a horizontal position seems to backfire and doesn't help at all. One of my former colleagues had to eventually get such a strong med that it put her to sleep pretty much. After she slept for a while, she felt much better, but still not "well" and it usually took a day to get somewhat back to normal.