*** Official Iowa Vs IOWA STATE Game(Day) Thread ***

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I may lead a sheltered life but my relatives and friends that are Iowa fans are cautiously optimistic but don’t think they’ll win. They’re concerned (and should be) about the Hilton Magic factor. I’m hoping that’s the deciding factor. Getting Garza in foul trouble will help a bit, too.
If Garza gets into foul trouble they're screwed. There just isn't enough scoring to go around. Weiscamp is a good player but he feeds off of having a player like Garza in the game.

Reactions: Blackhawk6515

Lafaester54

Mar 18, 2011
Colorado/Wyoming
If Garza gets into foul trouble they're screwed. There just isn't enough scoring to go around. Weiscamp is a good player but he feeds off of having a player like Garza in the game.
I agree as I seen several of their games. We need to keep them off the boards, too. Hope we get off to a good start. I think they’re better than we give them credit for so want to get up on them and stay up.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Just wait until Fran rolls out our lineup of death of Pemsl/Kriener/Till/Evelyn
I'd reckon to say Evelyn gets one go tonight and then doesn't see the floor the rest of the game.. If Till gets minutes, it's because Iowa State is up big lol.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree as I seen several of their games. We need to keep them off the boards, too. Hope we get off to a good start.
Keeping them off the boards will be big. Iowa gets a lot of their threes coming off of offensive rebounds. They also struggle in transition defense (shocker). Eliminate that area of the game and it's a recipe for a win.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I have not watched Iowa yet this year. I assume that getting an extra 20 FT attempts by having some gangly dorks with 3" diameter arms drive into the lane with zero intent of actually making a real basketball play while initiating contact and flailing wildly and throwing their head back as if shot by a .270 is still a staple of the offense this year?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I have not watched Iowa yet this year. I assume that getting an extra 20 FT attempts by having some gangly dorks with 3" diameter arms drive into the lane with zero intent of actually making a real basketball play while initiating contact and flailing wildly and throwing their head back as if shot by a .270 is still a staple of the offense this year?
Iowa is 26th in the nation in FT made and 32nd in FT attempted. So yes they do get to the line quite a bit. For reference, Iowa State is 113th in FT made and 145th in FT attempted.

Iowa hangs their hat on trying to be the more physical team, so they're bound to get to the FT line a lot. It'll be interesting to see how the referees call this game because that'll determine what Iowa does. Iowa's bread and butter on offense is to push the ball as fast as they can and have Garza try and beat his man to position for a layup. Denying post touches in this game, however we decide to do that, could be key.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I may lead a sheltered life but my relatives and friends that are Iowa fans are cautiously optimistic but don’t think they’ll win. They’re concerned (and should be) about the Hilton Magic factor. I’m hoping that’s the deciding factor. Getting Garza in foul trouble will help a bit, too.
This is what's wrong with Hawkeye fans.

Iowa State can beat Iowa independent of Hilton Magic and Lucca Garza being in foul trouble.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Lafaester54

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
https://videopress.com/v/kYhcaQZG

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Here are the defensive matchups I want:

Tyrese on Jorbo - make him shoot over some length.
Bolton on Connor
Nixon on Weiskamp - frustrate him with some tough D.
Solo on Garza
Jacobson on Kreiner/Frederick

I would also be okay with Nixon on Frederick and Jacobson on Weiskamp.

I want Tyrese on Connor, but not really on him, I want him doubling down on Garza.
Then Bolton/JBo
Nixon/Weiskamp
Jacobson on Kreiner, or Jackson on Fredrick
Solo on Garza. Need his size. I hope he can stay out of foul trouble.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Hilton needs to be really loud tonight. Like the night in the 80s when Jeff Grayer couldn't even hear his name announced during starting line-ups.

THE very best night ever at Hilton. Place was up for grabs an hour before tipoff.

then Doc happened. And it found a way to get even louder.

• Winner
Reactions: bozclone

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
Keeping them off the boards will be big. Iowa gets a lot of their threes coming off of offensive rebounds. They also struggle in transition defense (shocker). Eliminate that area of the game and it's a recipe for a win.

need to get into their guards. Press them bringing the ball up the court.

• Agree
Reactions: GTO

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
need to get into their guards. Press them bringing the ball up the court.
That is exactly what killed them in the DePaul game at home. They got extremely flustered when the guards were in their grill and denied entry passes to the post players. I'm intrigued on what the matchups are going to be both on our end and their end. If we go big when they have Connor at the 4, we should be pounding the ball into Jacobson on the block all night long. On the other end, Jacobson won't have to guard Connor aggressively out at the three point line at all and should be playing help defense a lot.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I can only imagine the amount of crap Jbo is gonna get. Was anyone else at the Adam Haluska returns game? I was in cyclone alley and every time he touched the ball it was amazing. I actually got yelled at and two buddies got kicked out because we were plenty liquored up and someone snuck a giant rolled up sign that said Adam Haluska has genital herpes.