Iowa/Iowa St.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Late to this thread but why exactly are we talking about punching iowa players again?

Because they're hok fans.

For the record I'd rather see Fran get jacked in some other game.

He deserves it for teaching his players to start fights and foul in order to succeed, along with his other antics that you Hok fans fully support.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
If Iowa shoots like they did against Minnesota from 3 point line against us, we could be in trouble. If they shoot like they did against Michigan, we will beat them.

It will all come down to which team is hitting their 3 point shots, its really that simple.

Any team in the country can win on a night if they are hitting three's and the other team isn't shooting well. Upsets happen just look at Evensville at UK and SFA at Duke.

The game will come down to ISU controlling the pace of game (faster) and breaking their zone with P&N's. I don't believe Iowa has the athletes to keep up with ISU thus must "junk" up the game and force a low scoring half court game. ISU can beat EIU even if they are hitting 3's if they play fast and get extra possessions like the DePaul and Michigan games and If they are just shooting normal it can be a blow out.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonepsycho23

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Any team in the country can win on a night if they are hitting three's and the other team isn't shooting well. Upsets happen just look at Evensville at UK and SFA at Duke.

The game will come down to ISU controlling the pace of game (faster) and breaking their zone with P&N's. I don't believe Iowa has the athletes to keep up with ISU thus must "junk" up the game and force a low scoring half court game. ISU can beat EIU even if they are hitting 3's if they play fast and get extra possessions like the DePaul and Michigan games and If they are just shooting normal it can be a blow out.

Hustle to every 50-50 ball and playing physical defense and get in these guys pockets is a must. JorBo or whomever else can’t score if they can’t get the ball in good spots.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Hustle to every 50-50 ball and playing physical defense and get in these guys pockets is a must. JorBo or whomever else can’t score if they can’t get the ball in good spots.

We have let Iowa out hustle us for like the last 4 meetings and that's really frustrating. Those effort plays matter and tend to lead to momentum swinging plays. I do feel like this years Iowa State squad has been better in that department this year though.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
If Iowa shoots like they did against Minnesota from 3 point line against us, we could be in trouble. If they shoot like they did against Michigan, we will beat them.

It will all come down to which team is hitting their 3 point shots, its really that simple.

I watched most of the Minnesota game. Pitino chose to double team and sometimes triple team Garza and left Weiskamp and Jarbo wide open. Not a good plan.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
M

Meh, you can counter a teams good shooting night but if you are as inefficient as Minnesota was the other night you don't stand a chance.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I watched most of the Minnesota game. Pitino chose to double team and sometimes triple team Garza and left Weiskamp and Jarbo wide open. Not a good plan.

Minnesota played slow on both ends of the court. Hell, Iowa was getting layups and transition three's off of made baskets.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Or perhaps that's because Michigan plays better D than Minnesota. There's a direct correlation.
The saying of "our 3 pt shots just didn't fall - we had good looks" is such a throwaway line.
If you're not hitting from behind the line, work to get better shots closer in.
As the great Gary Thompson said of most 3 pt attempts: "you can get that shot anytime."

stormchaser

May 15, 2008
Some of our best defense we can play against Garzilla is trying to get him in foul trouble. We can't let the hawks get hot from the 3.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
My major emphasis, were I Steve Prohm, would be to have my players watch the entire re-play of last year's game in Iowa. Like I just did myself.

Special emphasis on the 25 times they allowed CMac to slam his way into the lane and open up "volleyball-ball" for Iowa offensive rebounds. An then the 15 loose balls Iowa beat them to.
And then, maybe watch the 45 or so free-throws we missed (yeah, slight exaggeration).
After that, OK, fine, talk about Garza for this week.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Michigan got it right last week: Let Garza get his and cover everyone else up. I don't have the box score in front of me, but Garza had at least half the teams 80+ points, and I don't think anyone else scored in double figures, or if they did it was in garbage time. I think that is the way to go. But hopefully we can do it without 2/3 of our bigs quickly picking up fouls like Michigan did. Didn't see much of the game, so I don't know the nature of the fouls/how the refs were calling the game.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Michigan got it right last week: Let Garza get his and cover everyone else up. I don't have the box score in front of me, but Garza had at least half the teams 80+ points, and I don't think anyone else scored in double figures, or if they did it was in garbage time. I think that is the way to go. But hopefully we can do it without 2/3 of our bigs quickly picking up fouls like Michigan did. Didn't see much of the game, so I don't know the nature of the fouls/how the refs were calling the game.
Just off the top of my head, I think Garza had 44 in that game.

I worry about George. I think Garza uses the pump fake a lot and George will be pumped up and may bite. I would rather he just play solid positional defense to start and save the shot blocking for other people's players and maybe Garza later in the game.

Is it too much to ask that sometime in the future officials get the block/charge call right when a player leaves his feet and goes straight up (verticality?) that it is a charge when an offensive player jumps right into him? This shouldn't be as hard to get right as it seems to be.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
Just off the top of my head, I think Garza had 44 in that game.

I worry about George. I think Garza uses the pump fake a lot and George will be pumped up and may bite. I would rather he just play solid positional defense to start and save the shot blocking for other people's players and maybe Garza later in the game.

Is it too much to ask that sometime in the future officials get the block/charge call right when a player leaves his feet and goes straight up (verticality?) that it is a charge when an offensive player jumps right into him? This shouldn't be as hard to get right as it seems to be.
Exactly. I would set George in front of a dry erase board, and make him write 1750 times: "Do NOT Leave My Feet On Garza's Pump Fakes."

then, for extra credit:
"The best way to block a post player's shot is to jump AFTER the offensive player." [Bill Russell quote, btw]

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Exactly. I would set George in front of a dry erase board, and make him write 1750 times: "Do NOT Leave My Feet On Garza's Pump Fakes."

then, for extra credit:
"The best way to block a post player's shot is to jump AFTER the offensive player." [Bill Russell quote, btw]
Especially when said offensive player wears CMUs for shoes.

Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018

True, but only to a point, in the SFA defeat of Duke, SFA shot 2/10 from 3 point line, they won in overtime because Duke allowed them to stick around, Duke shot a higher percentage in 2 pointers, 3 pointers and free throws. In the Kentucky loss, Evansville was 9/30 from 3, but the Wildcats were only 4/17.

If you look at the Iowa losses this year, one stat jumps off the page, ability to hit 3 points in the wins, and not hitting them in the losses. Against San Diego state they did well and lost, 9/23, against DePaul 6/18, against Michigan 3/15. In their wins they were averaging over 10 made three pointers a game.

For ISU to win, we have to be able to hit 3 points, need around 10, and hold Iowa to 6 or less. If we do that, we will win the game.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyrocksmypants