Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If I can hack getting up in the morning, starting the day with a 5 mile quick clip run is fantastic and I feel better definitely afterwards.

On the other hand I like running at night too which can also feel good after a day of work. I tend to sleep better when I exercise either way.

Old man me misses real running and kinda hates you right now. o_O

Going to run a couple miles on indoor track this afternoon and try not to look at mins/mile and maybe concentrate more on not doing 100% of my age groups average max heart rate. I know that's the smart thing to do but damn, it's hard to not look at a slow slough and not compare it to what I ran 30 years ago. :(

Reactions: FinalFourCy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Old man me misses real running and kinda hates you right now. o_O

Going to run a couple miles on indoor track this afternoon and try not to look at mins/mile and maybe concentrate more on not doing 100% of my age groups average max heart rate. I know that's the smart thing to do but damn, it's hard to not look at a slow slough and not compare it to what I ran 30 years ago. :(

Don't worry...I've had a reoccurring calf strain and tendinitis going on 3-4 months now so running like that has not happened.

And I like running in the winter so it's been pretty frustrating.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
thank you, i'm very proud of them.
spectacular.gif

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
thank you, i'm very proud of them.

Haha, in all seriousness, you look good. I was just joking. I got probably 20 lbs to get to that point. I’m not sure switching to popsicles with no added sugar and more White Claws is going to get me there.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cy$

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I guess I'll kick off the weight loss pics...

The left was me at 209 pounds. I played basketball once a week but did no lifting or care what I ate. Pic was taken July 23rd last year.
The right was me during my bulk after cutting weight to 185 pounds. I'm 192 in the pic on the right. Pic was taken May 2.

View attachment 69102

During this, I injured my back really bad and was out for 6 weeks, which stalled my process. I tried to keep eating well to offset not lifting weights anymore.

A week after I took the right picture I got a serious injury which kept me out for 4 months of no physical activity.

Currently I'm in better shape then I am on the left but want to get to looking the the right and cut even more fat off.
Right now I would be satisfied getting myself looking like the left

• Friendly
Reactions: Cy$

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Haha, in all seriousness, you look good. I was just joking. I got probably 20 lbs to get to that point. I’m not sure switching to popsicles with no added sugar and more White Claws is going to get me there.
I think that's the nicest thing you've ever said to me Doc.

your avatar single?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Thought I should post so you know the old man DND from run. Went okay with knees again but heart rate was too high for my liking even though I slowed down almost 30 sec/mile. Going to blame the time release cold pill with pseudoephedrine in it, they be like legal speed. No cold pill today and even after a couple cups of java resting rate is only 62 bpm, seems to maybe support the cold pill theory.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Thought I should post so you know the old man DND from run. Went okay with knees again but heart rate was too high for my liking even though I slowed down almost 30 sec/mile. Going to blame the time release cold pill with pseudoephedrine in it, they be like legal speed. No cold pill today and even after a couple cups of java resting rate is 62 ppm

Mine has been like 65 this week so I know I'm sick. Never stayed that high even 9 months pregnant. In labor Drs asked if I were a runner because even all medded up and in mucho pain, my HR was 50 with low BP. They were hesitant on doing Fentanyl on top of the non-working epi and said let us know right away if you're drowsy. I was like why, is napping bad? They go no, but stopping breathing is. Oh. :eek:

When I was getting slightly longer stretches of sleep earlier this year, some of my overnight Fitbit measurements dropped into the 30's. Pretty much dead.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Fruits get a bad rap for carbs but I don't recall anyone ever gaining excess weight from having too many apples.

My theory (when I've had success) is that if I go over on carbs when counting macros because I ate too many bananas, IDGAF. Fruits are also my least favorite of the three healthy groups (meat, veggies, fruit) so it seldom happens.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Exercise is exercise, but morning workouts are great for fat burn because you are in a "fasted" state. This means your glycogen (sugar) levels are low and your body has to burn fat for energy. Heart rate is critical for this. If you are walking around taking your time, you won't get this benefit. You can get this same effect for those who do intermittent fasting (which I do regularly) by adjusting your feeding window until after your workout.

I'm fasting and I'm working out at noon. It's a fat killer and that's by far my most productive time of day. I have the most energy and the most stamina working out then. I'm a dog in the mornings and just can't get the same output and after work just leaves a lot of opportunity to get squeezed out.

• Useful
Reactions: Clone Head

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
oh no ****. a friggin bag of chips costs $5! get some edibles (marijuana) and only have healthy choices in house. youll be too high/lazy to go get crap food. this is my new strat. (dont use grubhub)

Haha, this is my exact strategy. Baby carrots, sugar-free popsicles, and low(er) sodium sunflower seeds. Still not super healthy, but better than some other options. I also reserve a few hundred calories worth of sustenance for 4th meal.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.

I just saw this. I hope you are progressing well! I suppose I could read on to find out. :)

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Also, if you guys want an interesting listen, go listen to the Rogan pod with Chris Kresser and James Wilks. Interesting dialogue on a bunch of stuff though I don't know that I learned a whole lot because they are both citing a bunch of stuff that compares their preferred diet to the SAD and of course they both work. I tend to side with Kresser here as Wilks doesn't really give anything viable to back up his "meat is bad" claim.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Mine has been like 65 this week so I know I'm sick. Never stayed that high even 9 months pregnant. In labor Drs asked if I were a runner because even all medded up and in mucho pain, my HR was 50 with low BP. They were hesitant on doing Fentanyl on top of the non-working epi and said let us know right away if you're drowsy. I was like why, is napping bad? They go no, but stopping breathing is. Oh. :eek:

When I was getting slightly longer stretches of sleep earlier this year, some of my overnight Fitbit measurements dropped into the 30's. Pretty much dead.

Seems like less bpm means more lifetime beats available! Thinking you are probably going to live to be 120 or so. ;)

• Funny

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Seems like less bpm means more lifetime beats available! Thinking you are probably going to live to be 120 or so. ;)

That's my hope, lol! All 4 grandparents still going.......despite one side having a lifetime of smoking and too much drink.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

I think the lowest I have seen on my fitbit was 61 and that was way lower than normal. I guess it will be a while before mine gets lower. I figure with all the walking I do it has to pay off at some point.

I guess I should add I weighed myself this morning and I am now down 24 lbs since Aug 22. Need to lose 4 lbs in the next 11 days to get to keep my 7lb a month average.
:eek:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron