Iowa Basketball's Super Bowl

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
TYRESE HALIBURTON ON HIS SECOND CYHAWK GAME
"Coming in here being a kid from Wisconsin all I knew about college sports was the University of Wisconsin. I watched other things but I didn’t really know the level of rivalry between Iowa State and Iowa and how much it means to people who go to school here, past alumni, people who are just from Iowa. So it’s definitely something that you get immersed in quickly whether that be on the football scene or actually playing in it yourself. I think it’s definitely something fans make bigger than it really is. Going into it it’s really going to be another basketball game. Obviously emotions got a little hot last year but I think that just happens when there’s high competition."

Good news guys, Tyrese is not planning on dying!

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Not congratulating your teammate for winning an award over you is a lapse of judgement. Going on social media and saying the only reason your teammate won an award over you is because money was involved speaks to your character

Oh the humanity. Crazy that he isn't put in jail for this.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Oh the humanity. Crazy that he isn't put in jail for this.
thehugemanatee.jpg

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
He's very clearly going to shut it down after tomorrow night. No game is bigger for those kids than getting a crack at Iowa State. Which makes sense, but now we're starting to steal lifelong Hawk fans. Scary times out east.

This is also a job security game for Fran.

it’s yet another perfect example of his McCarney like abilities. Although I do think he is better on the sidelines than Mac ever though of being.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I don't know about "mental house of horrors", why cast it in that light?

They're motivated by their extreme hatred of Iowa State, sure sounds like an underdog to me.
They are underdogs, and they play with that mentality. But, UNI always played and occasionally beat us with that mentality as well.
This feels like a game against UNI, but with the intensity dial cranked up a couple of notches.

I hope we bring it tomorrow night. My gut tells me this years team isn't quite as susceptible to mind games as years past, and in fact I think they're mentally tough in the limited action I've seen them this year. The problem we have had in this game is player buy-in. The hope is that our guys are equally as amped for this game as Iowa is. If they are, I won't be worried. But if they come out sluggish and apathetic like last year (gut tells me they won't, but I still have a little worry) we could lose.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones423

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
They are underdogs, and they play with that mentality. But, UNI always played and occasionally beat us with that mentality as well.
This feels like a game against UNI, but with the intensity dial cranked up a couple of notches.

I hope we bring it tomorrow night. My gut tells me this years team isn't quite as susceptible to mind games as years past, and in fact I think they're mentally tough in the limited action I've seen them this year. The problem we have had in this game is player buy-in. The hope is that our guys are equally as amped for this game as Iowa is. If they are, I won't be worried. But if they come out sluggish and apathetic like last year (gut tells me they won't, but I still have a little worry) we could lose.

The guys that "came out" last year are mostly gone.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
This is also a job security game for Fran.

it’s yet another perfect example of his McCarney like abilities. Although I do think he is better on the sidelines than Mac ever though of being.
I don't understand this comp. Fran can be a raging baby on the sidelines. Games weren't on TV as much back then, but I don't remember McCarney blowing a gasket very often. CPR was even tame comparatively speaking.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa really has the psychological edge going in tomorrow night. Maybe it's because they won last year, maybe it's because their players and coach are total douches, maybe it's the insufferable fans, or maybe it's all 3. I just hope our boys can go out there and shut out the mental house of horrors this Iowa team is bringing to Ames tomorrow night.

It has been trending this way for several years now, but when when it comes to basketball, I can safely say that right now I despise Iowa's players and coach more than I do their fans. I've never felt that way about a rival in the past.

I'm really confused....

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The guys that "came out" last year are mostly gone.
Agree with that.

I hope Iowa tries to get in a track meet with us like they did vs Michigan. They won't win many games that way against more athletic teams.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I don't understand this comp. Fran can be a raging baby on the sidelines. Games weren't on TV as much back then, but I don't remember McCarney blowing a gasket very often. CPR was even tame comparatively speaking.

I left that unclear. Sorry.

I wasn’t talking about their personalities. I mean Mac has something on him that is pretty bad, but he wasn’t a **** on the sidelines.

I meant overall ability as a coach. Their success is directly related to the worsened level of their league. The instate game is the biggest one of the year for them. They recruited uni level instate talent.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Spot on with this feeling like the UNI game

Sep 30, 2019

Oh come on now man. You're starting to sound like Notre Dame fans! Don't throw out that lame excuse of getting as amped up to play as Iowa. These guys love playing basketball it isn't about being fired up for the game, it is about execution.

Help Support Us

Become a patron