Mock drafts slotting Tyrese Haliburton as potential lottery pick

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I think that if he falls into the 20s in the projections that he could come back. He's a different dude... just look at his shorts

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think that if he falls into the 20s in the projections that he could come back. He's a different dude... just look at his shorts

it'll be interesting. While everyone says you can’t turn down that money, I’m not sure there are many examples of waiting a year and losing money. I won’t begrudge him for leaving but I hope he stays.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

Jerms

May 13, 2011
Atlantic, IA

Don't know if anybody else has mentioned this, but there was an interview of him at Battle 4 Atlantis sitting next to a pool. Basically he was asked what his goals were and his response was about leaving a legacy at ISU and treating Hilton right. Nothing about him as a player or NBA. After he hit the late 3 against Seton Hall in Hilton he was pounding his chest and it looked to me that he kept yelling "This is my gym!"

Of course things can change at the end of the year depending on how things go, but sure seems to me for now that he doesn't care where he's projected in the draft and is just focused on winning with this team.

• Winner
Reactions: ComCY

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
it'll be interesting. While everyone says you can’t turn down that money, I’m not sure there are many examples of waiting a year and losing money. I won’t begrudge him for leaving but I hope he stays.

It worked out OK, but Marcus Smart definitely lost money by staying for year 2. Brackins might have, too. There just aren’t many examples of guys that stayed, period.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Don't know if anybody else has mentioned this, but there was an interview of him at Battle 4 Atlantis sitting next to a pool. Basically he was asked what his goals were and his response was about leaving a legacy at ISU and treating Hilton right. Nothing about him as a player or NBA. After he hit the late 3 against Seton Hall in Hilton he was pounding his chest and it looked to me that he kept yelling "This is my gym!"

Of course things can change at the end of the year depending on how things go, but sure seems to me for now that he doesn't care where he's projected in the draft and is just focused on winning with this team.

That interview was really weird. The interviewer was basically insinuating that Haliburton was leaving after the year, and Haliburton didn't really say anything about it.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It worked out OK, but Marcus Smart definitely lost money by staying for year 2. Brackins might have, too. There just aren’t many examples of guys that stayed, period.

I mean brackins was still a top 20 pick. It didn’t cost him that much money.

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Not saying I think Haliburton would stay all 4 years, but could you imagine the legacy in Ames he would leave if he did? He would never have to buy a dinner or drink in Ames or surrounding areas for the rest of his life.

Like I said I think he should go pro for sure. Just hypothetically speaking. He would go down as one of the greatest players in Iowa State history.

LanningIsBakersDaddy

Nov 7, 2019
Chicago, IL
I keep holding on to the thought that there's a chance he could come back next year. Last year he didn't even test the waters and I think he was a late first rounder in some mock drafts. If he's a lottery pick, I definitely think he should go and I'll definitely be buying his jersey, but I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility for him to stay for another year (or two). Probably wishful thinking though.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA

I get what your saying but staying a year when he would get guaranteed money is the definition of him losing money. He will have a finite amount of seasons as an NBA player and he is removing a year from that total by staying.

• Agree
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

baller1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WDM
One of our donors needs to step up and show Tyrese the money this offseason

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
take a shot every time you read "roll" or "rolling"
giphy.gif

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
If TH goes lottery, he's making more $$ guaranteed than several ex-isu players combined, even after they busted it in the g-league for a year or two.

The NBA $$'s are so huge right now, if TH is a rotation player you want the clock started as soon as possible. Part of the reason I think Monte is struggling this year is he's playing for a huge offer from DEN at the end of the season.

Back up PGs that get minutes get 10m per year.

I love the isu legacy stuff as much as the next fan but TH is at another level.

Cytasticlone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 22, 2012
Ames, IA
If TH goes lottery, he's making more $$ guaranteed than several ex-isu players combined, even after they busted it in the g-league for a year or two.

The NBA $$'s are so huge right now, if TH is a rotation player you want the clock started as soon as possible. Part of the reason I think Monte is struggling this year is he's playing for a huge offer from DEN at the end of the season.

Back up PGs that get minutes get 10m per year.

I love the isu legacy stuff as much as the next fan but TH is at another level.

"Starting the clock" is a great way to put it.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I mean brackins was still a top 20 pick. It didn’t cost him that much money.

From https://www.nbadraft.net/players/craig-brackins/ - “A potential lottery to mid-first round pick in the 2009 draft, Craig Brackins returned to school for his junior year, and saw his stock plummet dramatically...”

It’s all hypothetical, but that’s a couple million plus an extra year of earning. Craig is doing just fine for himself, but a case could be made that he probably should have left earlier.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
I keep holding on to the thought that there's a chance he could come back next year. Last year he didn't even test the waters and I think he was a late first rounder in some mock drafts. If he's a lottery pick, I definitely think he should go and I'll definitely be buying his jersey, but I don't think it's outside of the realm of possibility for him to stay for another year (or two). Probably wishful thinking though.

kids just scratching the surface of what he can be.

imagine the level of improvement he will make when he just focuses on basketball. Get him in San Antonio and let him work with Chip Englund for a couple summers to fix his shot, and he will be a top level point guard in the league for a lot of years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron