***MLB Off season Thread 2019/2020***

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Twins resign Michael Pineda. $10/year is pretty decent value and makes sense for both sides. He's better off staying and serving his suspension with the same team, think that will ease he transition back. Plus the division is still going to be bad and Twins can afford to wait for him to be back to 2019 level which was pretty good. As much as I think his excuse for the failed drug test was complete BS, I've always had a soft spot for him, maybe because of all of his bad luck with injuries.
He's had 2 failed drug tests. You'd think he'd be more careful

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wheeler feels like an overpay

Think maybe the two top guys looking to be unobtainable probably bumped that plus, with Boras those other two will drag into March with teams not knowing their real shot at them. Good move, maybe, to sign someone you can early and get to work on the rest of your team.

Top tier pitching contracts are a HUGE gamble. You are a pitch away from a Tommy John or something that can blow up one of those contracts unless you've taken on some monster expensive insurance. Not sure how that's going to go after the payouts on the Ellsbury contracts. Yanks have done okay with the Tanaka contract (especially seeing what pitching is costing now) but they have been lucky with him pitching with an elbow tear for a couple of year and not opting for the Tommy John. He's been one of those pitch away from going down for 18 months guys.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yankees are pretty west coast.

:eek:

I never though the Yanks could get him to come east. He said he wasn't locked to west coast but I didn't believe him, thought it was just a Scott Boras bidding war ploy to get the max from the Angels.

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
And yes, people always knew the arm talent but this is all based on two seasons with the Astros.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The breakdown of the numbers is absolutely insane. If he produces like he has been, they'll pay him something like (rough numbers):
$1M per start
$100k per strikeout
$10k per pitch

The $10 grand/pitch figure really shows how ridiculous this kind of money is. Yankee$ continuing to lead a small group of big market teams who are ruining baseball.

• Disagree
Reactions: cyson

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
And yes, people always knew the arm talent but this is all based on two seasons with the Astros.

I have yet to see any of these big contracts pay off for the team. Cole is 29, so they're getting him in his prime. But really, you're getting him for 4 to 6 years and 3 to 5 throwaway years. So, in essence, they're paying him $300m+ for 4 to 6 years of service, at best.