2019/20 - Beauty and Beast (gymnastics and wrestling)??

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Will there be a "Beauty and Beast" event this year?

I looked at the 2019/2020 schedule and it is not called out:
https://cyclones.com/sports/wrestling/schedule

Looks like there was one in Jan 2017:
https://www.event.iastate.edu/event/41540

...and this says there it is/was "bi-annual", which would mean 2016/17 and 2018/19, then again in 2020/21. If that is 'policy' then seems like not this year:
https://blog.daktronics.com/2017/02...-and-gymnastics-come-together-under-one-roof/

Seems to me they should do it every year! I've never been but thought the kids would be a good age to enjoy.

I think the answer is no for this year, but thanks in advance if anyone can confirm,

As wrestling fans do you like it (promotion, bigger crowd) or dislike (too much distraction, not serious crowd support)?

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I don't think there is one.

I don't really mind it. I assume with the higher season tickets sales that the wrestling tickets holder on the one end would not like it because the wrestling mat gets moved to the opposite end

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I would love this for the record. Both daughters are competitive gymnast. We usually make the trip up from KC once a year for a gymnastics meet.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Pretty sure Dresser killed this. The wrestling program can stand on its own now, and not need gimmicks to get butts in the seats.

I have two young daughters that do gymnastics. I’ll just take them to a gymnastics meet.

Reactions: Scott34

jkbuff98

Jan 3, 2017
Pretty sure Dresser killed this. The wrestling program can stand on its own now, and not need gimmicks to get butts in the seats.

I have two young daughters that do gymnastics. I’ll just take them to a gymnastics meet.
Agree 100% Never was a fan

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
Would love this as my daughter's love gymnastics and son wrestles. Maybe a different format where it's one first then. The next.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I thought these events were fantastic. My first was in 2005 or 2006 with both opponents being from Oklahoma and highly ranked. Laura-Kay Powell stuck her floor routine finish just as an ISU wrestler pinned his guy. Perhaps my favorite Hilton moment ever (and I've been to most of the big MBB games).

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER

Different football uniforms every week is a "gimmick". Midnight Madness is a "gimmick". Give-aways at pro baseball and football games are "gimmicks". Saying you don't need gimmicks to get butts in seats is insane, especially for Olympic sports at Universities that don't make any money. I understand not doing them at the same time, perhaps a dual ticket or something, but just saying they can do it on their own is being incredibly short sighted. You would think a guy trying to rebuild a once proud program would use all the "gimmicks" he can to get people into Hilton.

He sure isn't using that time and effort on recruiting....

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Different football uniforms every week is a "gimmick". Midnight Madness is a "gimmick". Give-aways at pro baseball and football games are "gimmicks". Saying you don't need gimmicks to get butts in seats is insane, especially for Olympic sports at Universities that don't make any money. I understand not doing them at the same time, perhaps a dual ticket or something, but just saying they can do it on their own is being incredibly short sighted. You would think a guy trying to rebuild a once proud program would use all the "gimmicks" he can to get people into Hilton.

He sure isn't using that time and effort on recruiting....
Different uniforms has nothing to do with putting butts in the seats.

I’m not sure I understand your last point. Why does he need gimmicks? He’s improving the product on the mat, and that has led to a significant increase in attendance. Best since Cael was a wrestler, to be specific. So, I don’t understand how you can say they need more gimmicks? Seems like what they’re doing is working. In fact it is working beyond any realistic expectations.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Different uniforms has nothing to do with putting butts in the seats.

I’m not sure I understand your last point. Why does he need gimmicks? He’s improving the product on the mat, and that has led to a significant increase in attendance. Best since Cael was a wrestler, to be specific. So, I don’t understand how you can say they need more gimmicks? Seems like what they’re doing is working. In fact it is working beyond any realistic expectations.

Different uniforms has to do with revenue and building excitement. Which is what this would do.

My point is, anything helps. Just saying you don't want to do a joint meet with the gymnastics team because you don't need to rely on gimmicks to build revenue is moronic. If the scheduling is to difficult, or you can't get the other school to agree with it, that is one thing, but just saying, ehhh we don't want the extra publicity and fans because we are to short sighted to see the benefits and because we are the 6th highest attended wrestling team is dumb.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Different uniforms has to do with revenue and building excitement. Which is what this would do.

My point is, anything helps. Just saying you don't want to do a joint meet with the gymnastics team because you don't need to rely on gimmicks to build revenue is moronic. If the scheduling is to difficult, or you can't get the other school to agree with it, that is one thing, but just saying, ehhh we don't want the extra publicity and fans because we are to short sighted to see the benefits and because we are the 6th highest attended wrestling team is dumb.
I see your point in general about gimmicks.

However, I don’t think this gimmick in particular works. Also, I’m not sure any gimmicks work. But I’ve been to this specific one several times, and you can only watch one sport at a time. People come to watch one or the other, and I don’t think it increases attendance, unless you get to double count.

• Agree
Reactions: jkbuff98

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I haven't a clue why Dresser stopped the Beauty and the Beast event. Perhaps it's a temporary hiatus, but I'm sure he had his reasons. Dresser doesn't seem like a rash guy nor one to spurn other sports. He seems to give shout-outs to other Cyclone programs in his interviews quite a bit.

In the short time he has been here, Dresser has kept busy improving things any way he can. He's done a ton of fundraising, reached out and gotten the alumni involved, used crowd-pricing on tickets, wrestled duals in CY Stephens, continues to work to build up our RTC, promotes things with lots of videos, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing the event return too, but I trust our National Coach of the Year to keep things moving in the right direction.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Personally, I also have sons and daughters and this is the only reason I ever see a Gymnastics meet. On the other hand I hope our attendance continues to grow so this isn't feasible in the future. Currently, for non-Iowa meets I think it can still work. It's not a big deal either way. It is a bit weird watching both go on simultaneously.

• Agree
Reactions: crablegs

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I liked the beauty and the beast events.. I don't go to any gymnastics meets but it was fun to watch while there were breaks in the wrestling action.

Help Support Us

Become a patron