Iowa/Iowa St.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
ISU needs to come out right from the tip and set a tone defensively. Can't let Iowa get comfortable on offense early. Also need to focus on getting good shots. They should be able to drive the ball and should be able to take advantage of putting Garza in PnR situations.

There were times against MN that Garza was just running back and forth due to speed of play. We need to speed it up and run him out. Let flailing Kreiner guard our bigs.

Reactions: Halincandenza

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
ISU needs to come out right from the tip and set a tone defensively. Can't let Iowa get comfortable on offense early. Also need to focus on getting good shots. They should be able to drive the ball and should be able to take advantage of putting Garza in PnR situations.

Garza trying to defend Conditt in the PnR will be fun to see

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Garza trying to defend Conditt in the PnR will be fun to see
I think Iowa's off ball guards are going to sag into the lane when the PnR is coming, giving up wide open shots. Hopefully we're able to knock down a few of those. I do think Iowa will mostly sit in a zone because I do not think they're going to be able to guard Halliburton or Bolton man to man.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
There were times against MN that Garza was just running back and forth due to speed of play. We need to speed it up and run him out. Let flailing Kreiner guard our bigs.

I actually thought Minnesota missed a lot of opportunities to get out push the pace. Iowa made the Gopher's look slow and that's really sad.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Instead of doubling everytime double from the top on one possession double from the side on the next then don't double at all on the next. Keeping him guessing can be as effective as double teaming a lot.

i would agree with this, but Prohm never does this. heck he runs the same out of bounds play everytime. we can barely guard the pick and roll, and if we tried to change up our D, we'd probably confuse our own team more than the opponent.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
i would agree with this, but Prohm never does this. heck he runs the same out of bounds play everytime. we can barely guard the pick and roll, and if we tried to change up our D, we'd probably confuse our own team more than the opponent.
We do not run the same out of bounds play every time. We actually had a play drawn up against Seton Hall where Halliburton missed Jacobson for a layup. Also, we guarded Seton Hall's PnR extremely well on Sunday and they have one of the best guards in the nation who runs the PnR really well. After the overall defensive performance Sunday, I wouldn't be too critical.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

They'll play zone all night, I don't know how often Garza will be asked to defend anyone

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
When I have seen them they don't play exclusively zone.
I'd venture to guess Iowa runs their press into a zone after almost every dead ball situation / made basket. They'll play man-to-man in other situations.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
One thing I won’t worry about on our side is effort. That was missing the last 2 times we lost to them. We didn’t match their intensity. Also the Hilton crowd needs to be relentless.

• Funny
Reactions: dexterhawk

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
When I have seen them the don't play exclusively zone.

They mix it up but I expect them to play us similar to how they played the Gophs last night. Some man sprinkled in but with Connor being asked to guard a 4, I can't see them sticking with it. If they do, I hope Prohm has ideas on how to take advantage of Jacobson being guarded by Connor.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
I'd venture to guess Iowa runs their press into a zone after almost every dead ball situation / made basket. They'll play man-to-man in other situations.

After the way we handled (or didn't) the late game press from Seton Hall, I would expect Iowa to try to crank up the pressure. They don't have the athlete's Seton Hall does, but the way we floundered at times against the press, I expect them to ramp it up.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
No they won’t. Probably end up 50/50

We'll see, with the Nunge injury and ISU playing 2 bigs, I can't see Fran playing too much man, especially with the starters on the floor. Matchups in M2M should be interesting, how do you see them?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
After the way we handled (or didn't) the late game press from Seton Hall, I would expect Iowa to try to crank up the pressure. They don't have the athlete's Seton Hall does, but the way we floundered at times against the press, I expect them to ramp it up.
We actually probably broke their press cleanly 98% of the time. Two of the turnovers we had were Georges Conditt trying to get the ball out of his hands too quick instead of just taking the foul, and then Bolton trying to do a bit too much.

I have full confidence that Bolton and Halliburton will be able to beat their trap and we should have numbers when that happens and multiple lob attempts to Conditt. Conditt rim running could be a game changer Thursday because Iowa doesn't have anyone that's even close to his athleticism or length.