Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Carbs aren’t the devil at all. It’s the type of carbs you eat that make the difference. Most of the carbs in America come from ****** processed foods. This is not the same as the carbs from eating fruits and veggies.

1. Fruits, veggies and whole grains.
2. Limit the other stuff.
3. Exercise.
4. ??????????????
5. Profit.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
1. Fruits, veggies and whole grains.
2. Limit the other stuff.
3. Exercise.
4. ??????????????
5. Profit.

Fruits get a bad rap for carbs but I don't recall anyone ever gaining excess weight from having too many apples.

BobTheHawkHater

Jan 21, 2008
What's the diet entail?

Any diet that's 'expensive' makes no sense to even try.

Healthy food isn't as expensive as many want to think.

The program me and the wife did was a 6 week hard core diet, about 2 or 3 weeks of "maintenance", then pretty much just settling into a new lifestyle after that.

First 6 weeks:
  • No exercise whatsoever in this phase. It's actually not allowed.
  • You take a couple of supplements during this phase that help control hunger and help redefine your set point. (You can snicker here. Just saying, it worked for us.)
  • Weight in with a digital scale every day at the same time in the same sort of clothing.
  • First 48 hours you have to eat 5000 calories a day. This is called the "loading phase". That is not a typo. We really did this and I friggin loved it. My wife hated it.
  • The rest of the 6 weeks you eat at 11:00 am and 7:00 pm, no snacking allowed, so basically interval fasting. Each meal is 4 ounces of meat, 4 ounces of approved vegetables (lettuce doesn't count), 4 ounces of approved fruits (mango was an example that wasn't approved.), no carbs except the natural carbs in the fruit. Most every vegetable and fruit that we like was on the approved list.
  • This is truly not enough food and it was hard at times. I'd be hungry again an hour after the meal, but over a few weeks you got used to it and it wasn't so bad.
  • I lost between 0.5 and 1.5 lbs per day (I was 6'1" and 223 lbs at the time) during this phase, but a couple of times I got stuck on the same weight for a couple of days. When this happened we did "meat only" days -- same meal times but 6 oz of meat for each meal and nothing else. Those days sucked.
Next 2-3 weeks, maintenance:
  • Up the quantities to 8 ounces of each portion.
  • No more supplements.
  • I threw in a couple of pieces of dark chocolate daily.
  • One splurge meal per week, starting on the 1st day of this phase as a reward for making it through the first 6 weeks. Eat anything you want in any quantity for this meal.
  • Start exercising again.
Our new lifestyle since:
  • About 5 days out of the week I'm pretty good. I eat at 11:30 am and 6'ish pm. I try to control portions, not going over 10 ounces of meat per meal and stick with just vegetables, the meat and fruit. Maybe a little bit of potato or bread here and there, but not very often. I am guilty of the mid-week Starbucks chocolate chip cookie fairly often.
  • The other 2 days I enjoy myself and eat stuff I really shouldn't. I'll overeat on the weekend, throw down a huge bowl of ice cream, or whatever.
  • On Monday morning, I weigh in, notice I'm up from my new set point (196 lbs) by a few pounds, then go back to being good (bullet one) and I'm at my set point Friday morning again and ready for the weekend splurging.
  • Workouts are not too much -- 3 days a week for about 45 minutes each time. 10 minutes of interval training on a stairmaster (30 seconds all out, 30 seconds slow), some sit ups, a few different sets of weightlifting, but nothing too extreme.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The program me and the wife did was a 6 week hard core diet, about 2 or 3 weeks of "maintenance", then pretty much just settling into a new lifestyle after that.

First 6 weeks:
  • No exercise whatsoever in this phase. It's actually not allowed.
  • You take a couple of supplements during this phase that help control hunger and help redefine your set point. (You can snicker here. Just saying, it worked for us.)
  • Weight in with a digital scale every day at the same time in the same sort of clothing.
  • First 48 hours you have to eat 5000 calories a day. This is called the "loading phase". That is not a typo. We really did this and I friggin loved it. My wife hated it.
  • The rest of the 6 weeks you eat at 11:00 am and 7:00 pm, no snacking allowed, so basically interval fasting. Each meal is 4 ounces of meat, 4 ounces of approved vegetables (lettuce doesn't count), 4 ounces of approved fruits (mango was an example that wasn't approved.), no carbs except the natural carbs in the fruit. Most every vegetable and fruit that we like was on the approved list.
  • This is truly not enough food and it was hard at times. I'd be hungry again an hour after the meal, but over a few weeks you got used to it and it wasn't so bad.
  • I lost between 0.5 and 1.5 lbs per day (I was 6'1" and 223 lbs at the time) during this phase, but a couple of times I got stuck on the same weight for a couple of days. When this happened we did "meat only" days -- same meal times but 6 oz of meat for each meal and nothing else. Those days sucked.
Next 2-3 weeks, maintenance:
  • Up the quantities to 8 ounces of each portion.
  • No more supplements.
  • I threw in a couple of pieces of dark chocolate daily.
  • One splurge meal per week, starting on the 1st day of this phase as a reward for making it through the first 6 weeks. Eat anything you want in any quantity for this meal.
  • Start exercising again.
Our new lifestyle since:
  • About 5 days out of the week I'm pretty good. I eat at 11:30 am and 6'ish pm. I try to control portions, not going over 10 ounces of meat per meal and stick with just vegetables, the meat and fruit. Maybe a little bit of potato or bread here and there, but not very often. I am guilty of the mid-week Starbucks chocolate chip cookie fairly often.
  • The other 2 days I enjoy myself and eat stuff I really shouldn't. I'll overeat on the weekend, throw down a huge bowl of ice cream, or whatever.
  • On Monday morning, I weigh in, notice I'm up from my new set point (196 lbs) by a few pounds, then go back to being good (bullet one) and I'm at my set point Friday morning again and ready for the weekend splurging.
  • Workouts are not too much -- 3 days a week for about 45 minutes each time. 10 minutes of interval training on a stairmaster (30 seconds all out, 30 seconds slow), some sit ups, a few different sets of weightlifting, but nothing too extreme.

Interesting and cool you found a groove through all of that...way too complicated for me.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
First attempt at running since April went okay. Slugged out a couple of miles on the track. Slow but did not die (@copyright DND). Knees did not factor in much which was good. Based on heart rate I might be advised to go a little slower if the recommended exercise heart rates by age are to be followed.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
I guess I'll kick off the weight loss pics...

The left was me at 209 pounds. I played basketball once a week but did no lifting or care what I ate. Pic was taken July 23rd last year.
The right was me during my bulk after cutting weight to 185 pounds. I'm 192 in the pic on the right. Pic was taken May 2.

imageedit_4_5555430128.jpg

During this, I injured my back really bad and was out for 6 weeks, which stalled my process. I tried to keep eating well to offset not lifting weights anymore.

A week after I took the right picture I got a serious injury which kept me out for 4 months of no physical activity.

Currently I'm in better shape then I am on the left but want to get to looking the the right and cut even more fat off.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: cowgirl836

dfwcy

Oct 20, 2008
1. You are more than a number. This isn't meant to be some healthy at every size crap, but you have value and worth beyond a number. You are not defined by what you weigh or what you eat.
2. That is almost certainly a high proportion of water weight because it's not usually possible for the body to gain that much *actual* weight that quickly.
3. Progress, not perfection. How are you feeling? You're still down from your start and you mentioned early on how much better you were feeling.
4. Holidays are hard when trying to manage a particular diet. Have a plan. Office goodies - partake to your heart's desire or only allow yourself 1 grab a week? Or hold out for a specific goodie you know you love and will be there. Having a plan helps.
5. Holiday parties - take what you truly love to eat and enjoy it. Skip the so-so's or even eating "healthy" stuff just because you feel you should. Sure, eat some veggies to take the edge off but if you're still going to eat the other stuff anyway, might as well save yourself the calories.

Good luck, this is a rough time of year to be trying to change your mindset around food and exercise.
You sound like someone who believes in Weight Watchers.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Exercising in the morning has been a big boon for me. They say it raises your metabolism throughout the day. I'm down 12 lbs in 18 weeks, and I didn't think I had that much to lose.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Exercising in the morning has been a big boon for me. They say it raises your metabolism throughout the day. I'm down 12 lbs in 18 weeks, and I didn't think I had that much to lose.

oh for sure, there's decent research to back that up. Bad part is it requires getting up early. I was doing that one day a week earlier this spring but fell off that wagon. Should try to get back to it but I know I won't.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
oh for sure, there's decent research to back that up. Bad part is it requires getting up early. I was doing that one day a week earlier this spring but fell off that wagon. Should try to get back to it but I know I won't.
i'm curious on the research of it. I exercise at night but when I get busier I'll have to go to mornings.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
This is me, almost every day from 9/10 to this morning. It's good to weigh in every day - studies show people who do that do a better job keeping weight off - but you have to remember that you'll fluctuate several pounds each day. As long as the overall trend is going the right direction, keep doing what you're doing. Don't get discouraged when the number goes up, and don't lose focus when the numbers go down. (This is only a four pound drop for me, by the way. The app is Simple Workout Log - just a workout log, not a calorie tracker.)

Screenshot_20191209-221754_Simple Workout Log.jpg

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
a quick google

https://time.com/5533388/best-time-to-exercise/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190613095209.htm

so, different benefits. Something else said am workouts may help you build more muscle. Maybe not as much as advantage as I thought!
Exercise is exercise, but morning workouts are great for fat burn because you are in a "fasted" state. This means your glycogen (sugar) levels are low and your body has to burn fat for energy. Heart rate is critical for this. If you are walking around taking your time, you won't get this benefit. You can get this same effect for those who do intermittent fasting (which I do regularly) by adjusting your feeding window until after your workout.

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: Cy$ and Cyientist

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Started at 172.2 lbs on Columbus day, started going to Krave Gym on EP True, off 50th. Been doing that 3x a week, along with OMAD M-F, 18:6 on Saturday, and free day on Sunday (sometimes flipped depending on plans). One meal is whatever I want, though try to go for cleaner fast food options/cook at home (love me some Pancheros).

Weighted in at 163.8 last Saturday morning. Weight loss has been slow (I'm 5'7), but it's been consistent and I still get the food fulfillment that I usually don't get when I'm on some other food restriction diet. I've always had a harder time turning myself away from bad food, so I just chose to work with it.

I know eating cleaner will help me lose more weight, and quicker too, but I figure I'll trade that if it means I can do this for 3-5 months+ compared to 3-5 weeks.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

i'm curious on the research of it. I exercise at night but when I get busier I'll have to go to mornings.

If I can hack getting up in the morning, starting the day with a 5 mile quick clip run is fantastic and I feel better definitely afterwards.

On the other hand I like running at night too which can also feel good after a day of work. I tend to sleep better when I exercise either way.