Iowa/Iowa St.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Iowa’s defense is garbage. Trying to pretend this is the same team that beat Monte and naz is bad. You should feel bad.
That Iowa team was effectively the same on defense and worse overall, while that Iowa St team was loaded.

The Iowa lineup that night consisted of:

Jok
Bohannon (freshman)
Moss (freshman)
Pemsel (freshman)
Wagner (soph)

On the bench:
Baer (soph)
Williams
Ellingson
Uhl

They went into the game 4-5 with a loss to Omaha. You’re right, we shouldn’t pretend.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
We will agree to disagree. He is by far and away their best offensive weapon. He just dropped 40+ on Michigan. You cant let them run their offense through him all night long. That is exactly what they want to do. If I had to guess Michigan figured 7'2" Teske would hold his own and developed their gameplan accordingly not to double Garza. Michigan didnt win that game on the defensive end of the floor. They won with offense. I guess I dont understand why everyone is claiming Michigan provided the blueprint to defend Iowa. They gave up 91 points.
Agree we don't have the offense that Michigan has but I hope Prohm doesn't double the big guy like we did to Baylor's big guy last year every possession which lost us the game. I prefer if pick our spots.

• Winner
Reactions: isu81

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
And what have you seen offensively from this team to suggest that we can take advantage of a bad zone? Is it our 30% shooting from 3, good for 263rd in the country? Iowa's defense was ranked 123rd when we lost at Carver in 2017. This season, Iowa's defense is ranked 134th.
There is more than one way to beat a zone then to just chuck up three's.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Agree we don't have the offense that Michigan has but I hope Prohm doesn't double the big guy like we did to Baylor's big guy last year every possession which lost us the game. I prefer if pick our spots.

Our personnel and lineups most of the time don’t necessitate that double team as much with this years squad imo.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So far I've seen Iowa shove off or go over the back several times in about a minute's worth of game time and no calls.

I'll give them credit--they hide it well.

But you can't shove off with the forearm.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
So far I've seen Iowa shove off or go over the back several times in about a minute's worth of game time and no calls.

I'll give them credit--they hide it well.

But you can't shove off with the forearm.

There is a 45 min section of "Championship Defense" dedicated to pushing off and not getting caught.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Who's got bigger eyebrows?

5a96155a72235.image.jpg

20160830_101346_20160826__cct-lifestory-0904-01-1.jpg

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I forget about these BTN guys...they just called MiniFran 'Nowitskyesque' after he airballed a 5 footer.

Minnesota is bad but this Iowa team will be a hard out. They love December basketball.

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

Pharmacy99

Feb 7, 2013
I forget about these BTN guys...they just called MiniFran 'Nowitskyesque' after he airballed a 5 footer.

Minnesota is bad but this Iowa team will be a hard out. They love December basketball.
It appears Bohannon is playing well tonight. He already has 10 assists. Is he really hurt? To me Fran is taking advantage of medical redshirt. I thought he does things the right way. Should NCAA grant him medical redshirt?

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Dear Cyclones,

Gawd please don't lose to this Hock team. PLEASE! This is the most punchable Hock team in the history of nauseating hock teams. It will ruin the season if you guys lose to them. I won't be able to go on. I will literally just wait until next season to follow you again. If you let that chick Pemsl push you around in his fashionable headband again you can just as well pack it in for the season because you have just been stripped of your man card!! Man the F up and punch that k&nt in the mouth! You are tougher, you are more talented, you are playing in HILTON F&* COLISEUM! I understand this is their super bowl. I DON'T CARE!! Beat them down and TAKE their will to live. It's all I want for Christmas. Thank you,

Clone since 1984

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I will hand it to Fran. He seems to be able to get a team of average talent playing well together quickly in November and December. They usually stall out in January and February. I assume that is because the talent gap catches up with them.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
First time I’ve really sat down and watched them closely this season. Man, they get away with a lot of stuff. Using the classic hok chicken wing on drives to the basket, Garza is hooking his guy nearly every time he gets the ball on the blocks, grabbing and bumping on defense, and bumping into guys running down the court trying to bait them into retaliation. I’ll be miserable if we lose to these geeks.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
First time I’ve really sat down and watched them closely this season. Man, they get away with a lot of stuff. Using the classic hok chicken wing on drives to the basket, Garza is hooking his guy nearly every time he gets the ball on the blocks, grabbing and bumping on defense, and bumping into guys running down the court trying to bait them into retaliation. I’ll be miserable if we lose to these geeks.

He travels with a little bunny hop spin every time he posts up. Announcers were amazed how good he was at it, yeah when you are allowed to travel it makes things easier.