First time parent advice, tips, tricks, etc.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Unless its a onesie with 3 snaps by the taint, stay far away. For sleepers get the zippers that still keep it attached at the top. So you can get the legs out, but keep the chest and neck covered.

someone with kids gave us a sleeper that had snaps up and down both legs plus the front like wow I had no idea you hated me this much

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Sorry, I'm doing like a bajillion posts. So I'm guessing your baby is due a bit ahead of my midsummer baby and the advice on not getting lots of newborn clothes is pretty good. Now, maybe it'd be different with a girl, but our boy ran very warm. So unless we had visitors or left the house (in the car, not the stroller), he was in a diaper and a muslin swaddle. Unless you keep the AC way low or something. He had a lot of newborn clothes that he never wore and even more that he wore maybe 1-2 times. And when he started daycare we just sent him in sleepers. Didn't bother changing unless he got dirty overnight (which unless a diaper leaks or spit up, they aren't doing a whole lot overnight generally)

Daycare had pajama day once a month? Lol, every day is pajama day. I wouldn't bother with shirts and pants until they are moving more. Easier for daycare to change diapers when they're in sleepers anyway.

Congrats on number 2.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
If I can do it, you can. I strongly recommend you to see it. It's amazing.

Besides, you get to be the FIRST person to see your child. As a father, you don't get a lot of special perks over Mom. Most of the time you'll be second fiddle. You don't get the same level of bonding when they are newborn. This is the ONE THING YOU DO GET! Take it all in!

Reactions: greatshu

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Everyday I appreciate my parents even more. Like when they are throwing tantrums for no reason, talking back, not listening, hitting, biting, pulling hair etc.

Also...ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS appreciate the little moments. Snuggling or holding them every night even as they are toddlers is amazing. My daughter has a ritual of snuggling with me every night drinking her milk before bed. Favorite part of my dad.

cdnlngld

Feb 24, 2012
Ames, IA
DO NOT CO-SLEEP! Co-sleeping offers the lure of peaceful nights while they are nursing, and you almost never have to get up, but when it's time to get them in their own bed....... FORGET ABOUT IT!

• Agree
Reactions: CtownCyclone

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Speaking of kid items... I have a swing in my basement that needs a home and tubs of clothes.

It is amazing how many people offer up clothes and items. For example the above. Our swing was only used a month after we bought it (replaced older swing). On the other hand new parents tend to want all new stuff. Whatever your budget and you are okay with.

I would not do a hand me down car seat unless you know the person and when the expiration date is.

Reactions: cowgirl836

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Speaking of kid items... I have a swing in my basement that needs a home and tubs of clothes.

It is amazing how many people offer up clothes and items. For example the above. Our swing was only used a month after we bought it (replaced older swing). On the other hand new parents tend to want all new stuff. Whatever your budget and you are okay with.

I would not do a hand me down car seat unless you know the person and when the expiration date is.

yeah I feel like I was pretty open to used items but car seat, mattress, and crib were a no for me.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
DO NOT CO-SLEEP! Co-sleeping offers the lure of peaceful nights while they are nursing, and you almost never have to get up, but when it's time to get them in their own bed....... FORGET ABOUT IT!

I'm going to be super duper pedantic and then kinda controversial here. Officially, co-sleeping is the baby sleeping in the same room (but separate surface like a pack n play or bassinet). This is typically recommended as a way to reduce SIDs risk until at least 6 months.

Bedsharing would be the same surface. So, you aren't going to see that recommended by doctors in the US. However, I would recommend at least reading up on what safe bedsharing whether or not you ever plan to use it. It isn't as safe as baby sleeping alone HOWEVER it would be safer than falling asleep in the recliner. There is some evidence that parents resort to more dangerous arrangements because they are trying so hard to avoid bedsharing. And at 3am when the baby will not stay asleep in the PnP, knowing that a firm, pillow free bed is a better option than trying to stay awake in the rocking chair can be important.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
All great comments to be sure. I'll just add, don't accept any baby gifts that are yellow and black hok gear. If you do, use it as an emergency diaper.

MILs best friend gave us a gift while at MILs house and left. MIL made my wife open it in front of MIL while we were there. A hawk onesy, everyone looked at it and then in silence at me. I informed everyone that he (son) would never wear it. Wife’s family is a bunch of tavern hawks, I have an ISU. It was pitched later on.

Here is some old parent wisdom, if you plan to have a second child, knock that wife up 6-12 months after you get home. The kids will have natural play partners and will entertain each other and make it easier on you.

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
We have done a "traditional" hospital birth, and also a "non-traditional" birth at a birthing center with a midwife supervising, and would recommend the birthing center 11/10. We got there at 6 PM and left at 11 PM with baby in hand. It was fantastic, would highly recommend. I'll admit if it was the first kid I'd have been a bit uncomfortable with it but having one already made it okay for us to do. I'd highly recommend looking into it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We have done a "traditional" hospital birth, and also a "non-traditional" birth at a birthing center with a midwife supervising, and would recommend the birthing center 11/10. We got there at 6 PM and left at 11 PM with baby in hand. It was fantastic, would highly recommend. I'll admit if it was the first kid I'd have been a bit uncomfortable with it but having one already made it okay for us to do. I'd highly recommend looking into it.

No hospital time?

goody2012

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2014
No hospital time?
Zero time at the hospital. The only reason you really need to stay at the hospital after a birth is for the 24 hour checkup. The birth center had a nurse come to our house at 24 hours for the checkup, same they do in the hospital.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Zero time at the hospital. The only reason you really need to stay at the hospital after a birth is for the 24 hour checkup. The birth center had a nurse come to our house at 24 hours for the checkup, same they do in the hospital.

I know I’m old (youngest is 12) but there were a lot more checkups than that back then, and mostly a pediatrician and not nurse.

• Agree
Reactions: LancelotClone

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I know I’m old (youngest is 12) but there were a lot more checkups than that back then, and mostly a pediatrician and not nurse.

Everyone has their opinion, but for both of ours we were in the hospital and took 100% advantage of having nurses there 24/7 and have the baby in the nursery to allow the wife to get her rest after the birth. It's pretty exhausting and rest in the immediate 24 hours following delivery was huge.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006

depends on the kid actually
some are easy some arent
but if u do bedshare or whatever just make sure the bed is a firm one
and dont be a fatty
and dont use alcohol or prescription drugs etc etc
our first was impossible to get out
next 3 they left like clockwork

i sleep in a different wing of the house and my wife sleeps in the bed with them, the last 3 were one and kicked em out, they cry whatever but not much of a problem

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
having one kid was so freaking hard
u have to entertain them all the time
now we got 4 its so much easier imo
going from one to two was super hard
then 2nd plays with 1st
then having twins was hard
now they all play with each other
and now if u yell at one the rest fall in line