"They Shall Not Grow Old" - WW1 documentary by Peter Jackson

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Got my tickets for tomorrow. I can't wait.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Vietnam Syndrome.

American soldiers are rapists and murderers.

Thank you Baby-boomer news media.

I've always felt there are atrocities committed by a few in EVERY army that EVER took to the field of battle.

My 8th grade teacher showed us pictures of his platoon bringing in a VC prisoner. Kid was hung from a rope out of a Huey chopper and was being dragged through tree tops.

I always get a uneasy feeling when people act like our soldiers are all a group of choir boys.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Just got back. This is a must see documentary. Very well done.
Saw it today at Jordan Creek. If you like documentaries..........like you said, a must see. If you are expecting Private Ryan....save your money.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
Reactions: Cycho1

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
This looks transcendent. So excited to see this. I have always lamented that we cannot look back in time. This is probably as far back of real footage we will ever get.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think it's on streaming somewhere too...I'll have to lookup where I saw it listed. I saw it in the theater when it was on a limited release and thought it was great! Highly recommended.

EDIT: It's on HBO Now if you subscribe to that as well.

It is on HBO but I think the stream for it is less the "extra" how it was done which is as good as the feature itself.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This looks transcendent. So excited to see this. I have always lamented that we cannot look back in time. This is probably as far back of real footage we will ever get.

Not footage but photos like this one of Abe are pretty incredible.

lincoln-at-antietam.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Lincoln in 1858, three years before the war, and right before his death.

ngdti1bfurvxeenlount.jpg

That man carried the weight of the world on his shoulders.
Didn't he have some kind of disease that altered his appearance as well?

ps

Listening to a lecture on audible about linguistics and he mentioned that Abe was supposed to have a high kind of raspy voice. I found that funny considering how we hear his voice depicted in recreations of his famous speech.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Didn't he have some kind of disease that altered his appearance as well?

ps

Listening to a lecture on audible about linguistics and he mentioned that Abe was supposed to have a high kind of raspy voice. I found that funny considering how we hear his voice depicted in recreations of his famous speech.

I have always heard his voice as Daniel Day-Lewis' take from Lincoln after that came out, rather than that James Earl Jones "voice for the ages."

The former is probably much truer to reality. I almost think that raspy, nervous quiver is better, though. It humanizes him. He was still a man, not a god.

We act like we have problems as a country (or a world) now but we have nothing compared to the 1860s, 1890s, 1910s, 1930s, 1940s, or even the late 1960s and 1970s.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa

If you watch Ken Burns' Civil War documentary series, there is footing from the early 1900s of very old Civil War Vets

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron