First time parent advice, tips, tricks, etc.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Don't be so busy trying to document every moment that you miss the moment yourself. Your memories last longer and are more intimate than some 'candid' photo will ever be.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Don't make a huge deal out of every little thing that goes wrong. Stuff happens, things won't be perfect, but if you give your child good food, a good house, and love him/her they will be better off than 90% of the kids on this planet.

• Agree
Reactions: oldman

CycloneNorth

Mar 29, 2010
Nashville, TN
Maybe I'm alone on this, but both of mine wanted to scratch their face to shreds with their razor-sharp fingernails. I learned from the first one and brought a small pair of baby mittens along for #2.

Also on this topic, good luck clipping their nails for the first time. I drew blood by snipping skin and felt like a monster.

Our pediatrician recommend suture scissors and they’ve worked great.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
You can teach your kid a type of sign language before they are able to talk. My boss's wife did this with their three kids and could communicate with them better because of it.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
Without reading everything else already said.

A) people have been having babies for 1,000s of years, your baby will survive most any small thing don't overreact, attempt to be the calming influence to scary situations.
B) you certainly will be overly cautious with the first, everyone is, see post A for why not to get too worked up about things. (yes I realize A & B are the same said differently, but it is important)
C) When in target/grocery store, keep the baby bundled up, grandma's love to touch babies, it is like they are trying to steal their youth or something.
D) If your wife and baby are in good health after birth, go home and get one last good night's sleep, cause you won't for a long time after.
E) as a man in the relationship, you no longer matter, your big days are no longer of consequence, accept it drink a glass of your favorite spirit in celebration of yourself and move on.
F) Women tend you get what is coming prior to birth, me and at least my friends didn't seem to get it until it happens, but when it hits, it comes fast and the change is permanent and you won't want to trade it for anything else. So do the honey duelist, not because you think it is important but because your wife understands what you are undertaking before you ever will.
G) they will put your parents into perspective
H) Love the ever-living **** out of that baby, cause nothing in your life will ever matter as much as they do, they will piss you off, they will make you crazy, but they will melt your heart and make you feel things you didn't know existed.

Good luck!

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Congrats! We are already in month number 7 with our first. As others have said, it goes fast so just enjoy the journey. Sleepless nights are an early phase that will go away in a few months.

Don't buy too many of early sizes clothing. Our family (and we) bought a ton of 0-3 months and 3-6 month clothing which our son outgrew at 8 weeks.

Keep the screens away. I am amazed at how many parents use videos such as baby Einstein to occupy 3-12 month olds! Get a play mat with toys and lay with your child on floor as they play. They will love that more.

Do not get a baby on board sticker for your car. People who are distracted drivers aren't going to drive safer because of it and you are letting any creeper out there know you have a baby in the car.

The Chicco Keyfit stroller and travel system is the best investment you can get. Basically a carrier that can switch from car to shoulder, to stroller with just a pull of a lever. The stroller also folds instantly with the pull of another lever.

Bottle warmers are another great investment. Much faster (and safer) than a microwave or putting under hot water in the sink.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
When you're
Make sure you have someone that knows a lot about car seats help you install them. Bob Brown has an event periodically to help you install them and fire departments can help as well.
Make sure the car seat you buy will actually fit in your vehicle, and that you and your wife will still have enough room to be comfortable (for me it was goodbye truck hello SUV for her).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: derpyherky

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Congrats! We are already in month number 7 with our first. As others have said, it goes fast so just enjoy the journey. Sleepless nights are an early phase that will go away in a few months.

Don't buy too many of early sizes clothing. Our family (and we) bought a ton of 0-3 months and 3-6 month clothing which our son outgrew at 8 weeks.

Keep the screens away. I am amazed at how many parents use videos such as baby Einstein to occupy 3-12 month olds! Get a play mat with toys and lay with your child on floor as they play. They will love that more.

Do not get a baby on board sticker for your car. People who are distracted drivers aren't going to drive safer because of it and you are letting any creeper out there know you have a baby in the car.

The Chicco Keyfit stroller and travel system is the best investment you can get. Basically a carrier that can switch from car to shoulder, to stroller with just a pull of a lever. The stroller also folds instantly with the pull of another lever.

Bottle warmers are another great investment. Much faster (and safer) than a microwave or putting under hot water in the sink.

+1 on the Chicco and +10 on the bottle warmer. We didn't have the bottle warmer until baby #2. Bad call on our part.

• Informative

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Just used microwave and a thermometer + stirring over here. No solid research on it not being safe (outside the risk of hot spotting).

If looking for good ideas on no-screen interaction with your child (we are fairly screen-free with our toddler), Bright From the Start is a great book for that. Honestly the best toys for babies under a year are a $3 set of stacking cups, a mirror and/or mobile to watch......and your face (or stick them under a ceiling fan!). Your face will be their fave.

Love the Chicco infant seat but got a better stroller w/ an adapter.

Your mileage may vary on sleepless nights ending after a few months :confused::confused:

Different strokes and all.

• Friendly

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Also I hated our baby bathtub (which we got used, btw, lots of stuff is SUPER cheap on FB marketplace so definitely check that out because babies outgrow so much of this stuff so fast). When he was itty bitty, I held him the shower and rinsed him quick and then set him in the rock n play if I was alone (ergh, guess that's a no now??), when he was bigger but not sitting up, we went back to the tub and once he was stable, I brought the tub back into the shower and let him sit in it with some toys. Now he can walk and we still primarily shower to save time and our backs. If you're going to use the tub, get a little stool!

• Friendly

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Just used microwave and a thermometer + stirring over here. No solid research on it not being safe (outside the risk of hot spotting).

If looking for good ideas on no-screen interaction with your child (we are fairly screen-free with our toddler), Bright From the Start is a great book for that. Honestly the best toys for babies under a year are a $3 set of stacking cups, a mirror and/or mobile to watch......and your face (or stick them under a ceiling fan!). Your face will be their fave.

Love the Chicco infant seat but got a better stroller w/ an adapter.

Your mileage may vary on sleepless nights ending after a few months :confused::confused:

Different strokes and all.

For kiddo number 1, we were anti screen time. Except Cyclone sporting events, because of course, and Texans football, because Momma likes JJ Watt.

Kid number 2 comes around, she's watching whatever kiddo number 1 is watching.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Sorry, I'm doing like a bajillion posts. So I'm guessing your baby is due a bit ahead of my midsummer baby and the advice on not getting lots of newborn clothes is pretty good. Now, maybe it'd be different with a girl, but our boy ran very warm. So unless we had visitors or left the house (in the car, not the stroller), he was in a diaper and a muslin swaddle. Unless you keep the AC way low or something. He had a lot of newborn clothes that he never wore and even more that he wore maybe 1-2 times. And when he started daycare we just sent him in sleepers. Didn't bother changing unless he got dirty overnight (which unless a diaper leaks or spit up, they aren't doing a whole lot overnight generally)

Daycare had pajama day once a month? Lol, every day is pajama day. I wouldn't bother with shirts and pants until they are moving more. Easier for daycare to change diapers when they're in sleepers anyway.

• Friendly

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
For kiddo number 1, we were anti screen time. Except Cyclone sporting events, because of course, and Texans football, because Momma likes JJ Watt.

Kid number 2 comes around, she's watching whatever kiddo number 1 is watching.

yeah I've heard a lot of parents say this changes a lot with #2.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
No don't be sorry. Greatly, appreciate all the insight.

• Sorry, I'm doing like a bajillion posts. So I'm guessing your baby is due a bit ahead of my midsummer baby and the advice on not getting lots of newborn clothes is pretty good. Now, maybe it'd be different with a girl, but our boy ran very warm. So unless we had visitors or left the house (in the car, not the stroller), he was in a diaper and a muslin swaddle. Unless you keep the AC way low or something. He had a lot of newborn clothes that he never wore and even more that he wore maybe 1-2 times. And when he started daycare we just sent him in sleepers. Didn't bother changing unless he got dirty overnight (which unless a diaper leaks or spit up, they aren't doing a whole lot overnight generally)

Daycare had pajama day once a month? Lol, every day is pajama day. I wouldn't bother with shirts and pants until they are moving more. Easier for daycare to change diapers when they're in sleepers anyway.