First time parent advice, tips, tricks, etc.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
*Don't sweat the small stuff.
*Be thankful for the sleepless nights when you rock your kid to sleep because it flies by and you'll miss it some day.
*Find time to keep up with friends/conversations outside of being a parent....you'll need outlets.
*Take help when offered but don't also be afraid to say no to people/events when you need some time/space.

• Friendly
Reactions: derpyherky

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Lots of great info.

I'll lob in breastfeeding isn't nearly as easy as I thought, lactation consultants are a real thing, and feeding can be very very stressful on mom.

We had some issues. We got some free formula samples and I was ready to just jump over to that.

In her mind it was a much bigger deal. Much.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Here are a few of my recommendations:
Make sure to have a routine/schedule for your child, putting her to bed around the same time and having naps around the same time helps the baby sleep better;

Avoid pajamas and outfits with a bunch of snap buttons because you always end up missing one. Go with the zipper ones instead.

Make sure you have someone that knows a lot about car seats help you install them. Bob Brown has an event periodically to help you install them and fire departments can help as well.

The bolded is the best parenting advice you will ever receive. If there is one piece of advice you take from this it should not to pertain to the baby's medical care, and it should not pertain to any touchy-feely "cherish every moment" crap.. It should be to never ever buy the onsies with the buttons that go all the way around bottom.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Our preliminary research is showing right at $250/wk for the large daycare centers for infants. We would prefer a smaller home one than the large ones but you can only afford what you can afford.
Look into if you or the mrs has a flex spending/dependent care program as part of your benefits package. You’ll save money tax wise. Someone more versed in the financial world can explain it to you better than I could.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
Look into if you or the mrs has a flex spending/dependent care program as part of your benefits package. You’ll save money tax wise. Someone more versed in the financial world can explain it to you better than I could.

Yep I do have dependent care program but won't sign up for it until next November due to the plan requirements and use it or lose it.

Reactions: JM4CY

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Lots of great info.

I'll lob in breastfeeding isn't nearly as easy as I thought, lactation consultants are a real thing, and feeding can be very very stressful on mom.

We had some issues. We got some free formula samples and I was ready to just jump over to that.

In her mind it was a much bigger deal. Much.

We had those discussions. We told ourselves no matter what we give our kid, they'll still show up to kindergarten just fine at some point.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
You'll be fine. I remember my wife and I coming home, setting the baby carrier down and sitting on the couch. "Sooooo . . . now what???"

Take advantage of the nurses in the hospital; let the baby sleep in the nursery. You need some sleep in those first days too.

Take help from parents/in-laws. We "didn't need help" the first time around. Second time around, "Sure you can do our laundry and mow the lawn and take out the trash."

Reactions: Clonefan32

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
I will say taking a nap while your kid is laying on your chest/stomach is one of the truly underrated things about being a dad. Of course, I’m a lot fatter now than when my kids were babies so doubt it would be as comfortable for them

I loved those moments doing exactly that, although I rarely actually napped like that. I would always seize that opportunity every time it came up. I always believed it was my chance as the dad to bond with the baby like mom did while pregnant, or at least as close as I'm going to get.

• Agree
Reactions: wxman1

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
If you live in DM suburbia I don't know of many centers for under $250wk for infants.

The Traditions centers around the metro are around $250/week. Not quite as impressive as some of the 2-year wait list, $1000/week centers, but I think the difference in quality is probably overblown.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Maybe I'm alone on this, but both of mine wanted to scratch their face to shreds with their razor-sharp fingernails. I learned from the first one and brought a small pair of baby mittens along for #2.

Also on this topic, good luck clipping their nails for the first time. I drew blood by snipping skin and felt like a monster.

• Agree
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Maybe I'm alone on this, but both of mine wanted to scratch their face to shreds with their razor-sharp fingernails. I learned from the first one and brought a small pair of baby mittens along for #2.

Also on this topic, good luck clipping their nails for the first time. I drew blood by snipping skin and felt like a monster.

My wife did this and bawled for an hour. I can't even tell which thumb it was two weeks later. They make baby-specific nail files, and I find that easier to use, although it takes a little longer.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

anigif_original-grid-image-32205-1484334986-15.gif

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Don't be afraid to let the nurses take the baby back to the nursery at night either, so you can get a couple 1.5-2hr sleep sessions in.

not sure how far out from baby stage you are but many hospitals have gotten rid of nurseries to be "baby-friendly" and will pushback on taking the baby from the room - or not take them at all. Something to ask your hospital.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Yep I do have dependent care program but won't sign up for it until next November due to the plan requirements and use it or lose it.

Not entirely sure how yours works but the birth should count as a qualifying event so you should be able to add to it at that point. The max is $5k. If you're doing daycare, don't worry, you'll use it.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
How long do you want this to be? :D

First:
As far as the kid goes, every one is gonna be different and you will know your own child better than anyone else that wants to parent from the cheap seats.

This is the very best piece of advice. Everyone's experience and values are different so take all the advice with a grain of salt. At the end of the day, you and your wife will be the experts on your baby.

Practical:

Lots of people spend lots of time prepping for birth/nursery/baby products but not much on the actual now we have a baby part. Always a good idea to read a few books on typical development, schedule, how many and how long to feed, wake times, milestones so you have a rough idea of how things go and what to expect. My brother (parent to a 5 month old) thinks she's getting a tooth and asked my mom so how long does teething take, like a month or so before all her teeth are in? :eek:

Key tips - newborns poop overnight and their wake window is about 90 minutes. They will likely not fall asleep on their own so don't let them stay away for 3 hours thinking they'll fall asleep when they are tired THIS DOES NOT WORK. Also anyone who tells you to keep the baby awake longer so they'll sleep more at night is wrong and get them out of your house. THIS DOES NOT WORK. You want to avoid an overtired baby as best you can.

To Have and To Hold by Dr. Molly Millwood is the best book I've read that captures so well the transformation a woman goes through in becoming a mother. It's like she was reading my thoughts. I read it nine months post-baby so not sure it'll help as much pre-baby but think it's good for the dad to read too. Gives really good insight into what may be going on with mom (obviously talk to her as well, communication is good! this just articulated things I didn't even know how to address). Definitely helped my relationship and something it pointed out that made me feel better is actually the marital stress is NOT the worst during the newborn period. Tends to actually peak around the 1 year mark. Something to keep in mind down the road if you wonder if you are failing because things seem to be getting worse, not better. Sixteen months out now and definitely in a better spot now - but was surprised how common this was.

Take as much paternity leave as you can. My husband took five weeks and this was SO key to me getting a bit more sleep and for him to learn about the baby. He'll take more next time. He was the master swaddler, not me. It is a travesty how our country operates on this topic and I encourage all dads to advocate for better policies in their workplaces. It is so, so beneficial to the whole family if dad gets more time to learn about the baby and be there to help mom. Off soapbox for now.

Sending baby to daycare was really hard. I love it now but it was hard at just over three months. It's definitely been the right choice for us because turns out I was not meant to be a SAHM and my very social baby loves his teachers and friends at school. It ain't cheap though and fellow parents are right that it's something to move on ASAP. Know that most places will still charge full rate even if you aren't doing 5 days a week for infants.

Lucie's List for registry ideas and picks. My most loved things at this point have been cloth diaper prefolds (yes, we did partial cloth diaper but those things have been CLUTCH for all the spit up, vomit, food mess, everything - bigger and more absorbent that most worthless cutesy burp rags that don't even cover your whole shoulder). We still use these every day for the constant snot faucet.
Diaper cream brush because HOW DO YOU CHANGE A 2AM DIAPER WITH DIAPER CREAM ON YOUR HANDS
Really love our sound machine, baby monitor....what else.....boppy was good, would get a boppy lounger for future kids. Stroller because I walked every day and baby hated babywearing.

Freezer meals worked really well for us - though we didn't use them much when I was on leave, surprisingly. Got the most use when I was back at work and time was even more important.

Over the next few months you may learn all about boundary setting with relatives. If you and mom don't want hospital visitors, don't do it. We didn't and it was the best choice for us. We didn't have anyone stay with us either. That was our preference. Holidays we've started to do our own traditions. As others have said, sometimes it can ruffle feathers when the "kids" are all of a sudden adults setting their own schedule but you want to start creating your own traditions. Maybe that's still spending lots of time at relatives' places or maybe that means Christmas morning just your own little family.

I wish I had gotten a doula now but can't go back in time. Definitely give it some thought. Enjoy quality time as a couple as best you can now. It's normal to not love every minute and to want to be out of the stage you are in. You can both love and hate where you are at the same time. Everything is a phase. Some are longer than others but everything is a phase. As soon as you get a handle on something, the baby will throw you something new!

I could go on for days but I'll refrain. Congratulations and best wishes to you and your wife! It's a wild ride.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Ok ok ok... my first serious post on CF perhaps?

Anyway, my wife and I are expecting our first child next year, the cyclone family is getting one more fan! Just passed one of the first milestones where we can start to tell family and friends. I know there are many ways and opinions about how to raise a child and not looking to get into that in this thread. What I'm looking for is for other CF faithfuls to offer any helpful tricks, tips, recommendations, products, or lessons learned from everyone else's experiences during the pregnancy stage and first year. I'm already buckled in for the roller coaster ride.

Do's/Don'ts/Must haves?

Are there any good new dad groups in the Ames/DSM area or forums that are good?

Mercy vs Methodist Medical Center vs Methodist West? Mercy and Methodist West are pretty much the same time and distance from our house. We've heard Methodist West has one of the best and comfortable maternity wards in the metro area (for non-high risk).

We have a Sam's membership but I've heard target and/or costco is a better option when looking to save on baby products like diapers and wipes due to better quality. We plan on signing up for Target, Prime, and a few other registries to get some free products to try.

Sadly, we will probably have to give up our season tickets to FB games. ~$1500/year is a lot when looking at potential day care and baby costs. I don't think taking a young baby to FB games sounds like a good time.

Thanks,
DerpyHerky

Postscript:
No gender reveal party will take place, that stuffs a farce. Our gender reveal party will be the obgyn telling us the gender.
TLDR. I don't have kids, but when people reach out in public forums to ask for parenting advice, my advice is always "Bourbon".

So, Bourbon.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron