Iowa/Iowa St.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I have no idea who wins Thursday. Iowa’s better than I thought. They always play well against us. Since we are a terrible shooting team it is hard to win.

BUT....I do know we have the cooler team. ;) I’d rather have our team of characters and bad asses then the Iowa dipshits.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
You double down on a guy that really doesn't need to be doubled, and you let guys open that will start hitting threes that haven't been in their biggest game.

I saw he scored 40+ last week but it's not like he just flies around the hoop. It's catch the ball, forearm shove and hook the elbow, awkward layup. Let him have that.

We will agree to disagree. He is by far and away their best offensive weapon. He just dropped 40+ on Michigan. You cant let them run their offense through him all night long. That is exactly what they want to do. If I had to guess Michigan figured 7'2" Teske would hold his own and developed their gameplan accordingly not to double Garza. Michigan didnt win that game on the defensive end of the floor. They won with offense. I guess I dont understand why everyone is claiming Michigan provided the blueprint to defend Iowa. They gave up 91 points.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Glad we have solo. He's got a big frame and while isn't elite, is solid on defense. We don't win in Lawrence a couple years ago without his defense.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
For the record I hope we help off and double Garza. But with the guy that's guarding Connor. Connor is shooting better this year but it's clearly not the role he's most comfortable with. If you lose with Connor McCaffrey hitting 6 threes you just move on. I don't like the idea of just conceding the paint to Garza. I think there are turnovers to be had by doubling him.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
For the record I hope we help off and double Garza. But with the guy that's guarding Connor. Connor is shooting better this year but it's clearly not the role he's most comfortable with. If you lose with Connor McCaffrey hitting 6 threes you just move on. I don't like the idea of just conceding the paint to Garza. I think there are turnovers to be had by doubling him.

If you guard Connor on the perimeter as a coach you deserve to get fired

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Repeating but doubling Garza won't work. Let him shove his way for lay ups is fine...hopefully he gets called for it...and then just don't let anyone else live out their glory.

If he is shovey, let him try that with Solo. Solo would probably laugh as Eyebrows has his head down and looking like he’s walking on ice.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think Solo is a better matchup with Garza due to his physicality. I don't like the matchup with Conditt on him because we need him to stay out of foul trouble for his offense and he's be better of coming in for blocks off the weakside.

I'd also like to see us run some doubles at Garza. He's averaging nearly 16 shots per game and less than one assist per game. Double him and make him pass it.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I think Iowa is better than I thought, but honestly we are too. I have good confidence this team takes care of business in Hilton.

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
Iowa is going to hit 3's, i jist hope the team doesnt get stuck in catch up mode and start launching.
Our best offense is attacking the rim, that needs to happen early and often. Hope to get Garza in foul trouble.

• Agree
Reactions: aobie

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Some thoughts reading this...

-- I thought Michigan's strategy of letting Garza do whatever but ensuring that Iowa is not going to get many threes off on offense was sound.

-- Letting Haliburton freelance off a bad shooter -- Connor -- on occasion would be fun. TH is way longer and faster than any of their guards.

-- Nixon needs to be on Weiskamp to shut him down. Piss him off. He seems like one of those guys who doesn't play well when he is frustrated, unlike some of their others.

-- Garza trying to shove Solomon sounds like using a lawn tractor to try and push a mile-long freight train. Even if Garza gets around him a few times, a few good, hard, clean fouls are probably in store for Garza next as a friendly gesture. It is nice that we have enough depth with our big men that we can play physical and not have to worry that our backup plan if Georges picks up his third in the first half is Simeon Carter.

-- I can't wait to watch the Hawkeyes' big men chase Conditt up and down the court. Our break is probably going to scare them out of crashing the offensive glass.

-- Haliburton as your zone-breaker in the middle sounds like fun, too.

-- Jacobson would give Connor a little of the Ryan Express if a fight broke out. Nixon would probably go into the stands and come back with a folding chair.