PS4 or XBox??

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I know I am probably asking a question that will get both responses...but my kids want another gaming system for Christmas. We have Switch and it is fun...but we are looking at adding either a PS4 or an XBox. My oldest is 8 years old...they aren't too serious of gamers but they like to have fun with the sports types games. So...any suggestions as to which gaming system is better or maybe more suitable for a family that doesn't have teenagers yet? PS4 or XBox?

• Winner
Reactions: garn91

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
If they’re not serious gamers XBOX is probably the way to go. It’s what we did for our daughter last Christmas. More serious gamers would probably lean toward PS4, and the really serious gamers would have both.

Reactions: cyfanatic

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
If they’re not serious gamers XBOX is probably the way to go. It’s what we did for our daughter last Christmas. More serious gamers would probably lean toward PS4, and the really serious gamers would have both.

Legit question, why would PS4 be better for the more serious gamers?

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
PS4 has way better 1st party games that your son will like. Things like Uncharted Series, Ratchet & Clank Horizon Zero Dawn, and Of course an AWESOME Spiderman that you can pick up for like $20 now. Af you're interested t in adult games,l you can play Last of Us and God of War. Other than that, most games are multi platform. Plus...PSVR is awesome too.

Either system is great, but Sony has knocked it out of the park with the PS4.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
If you also play games I'd say PS4, their exclusive titles are miles better than Xbox, tons of must play games. If it's really just for the kids I'd say Xbox because Gamepass is a straight up killer deal, for a small fee every month they'd get access to a ton of games they'd enjoy. Better than buying a bunch of games, especially this late in the console's life cycle.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Get whatever system their friends have if you let them play multiplayer games.

I have been given this advice...so I asked a few of his friends...the few that have gaming systems are about split evenly between PS4, Xbox and Switch! I do think this sounds like great advice though...

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Get whatever system their friends have if you let them play multiplayer games.

This is good advice.

I would seriously give your kid's friends parents a call or text and find out if they are thinking of getting a system for them. Having friends to play online with, even if not this year, will eventually be the priority.

BuffettClone

Jul 7, 2012
In my opinion, PS4 has better exclusives.

I don't have either one, but had been thinking about it. In my pretty minimal research, I would definitely agree that PS4 has the better exclusive titles. I just wasn't sure if there was something about the system itself that was better for the "more serious gamers." Not that it would matter a lot to me since I'm definitely not a serious gamer.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I’m partial to X-Box. I think it is a better overall system. PS4 has much better exclusives including MLB The Show on the sports side. I think the answer depends somewhat on if it’s a gaming console or an entertainment console. Another thing to consider is the controllers. I used to be a PlayStation guy but switched to 360 and now can’t imagine switching back.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Anyone have the VR equipment for PS4? That looks cool...or is it gimmicky?
Not gimmicky per say, but not as good as PC VR options. The base PS4 especially struggles to power it, I imagine it's better with a PS4 Pro but I don't have one, resolution can be pretty low sometimes which takes away from the immersiveness. Still some really fun experiences with it though.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
Anyone have the VR equipment for PS4? That looks cool...or is it gimmicky?

It's both. Really cool to play around in, but I am not the biggest fan of wearing a headset so it is kind of a gimmick to me. There are enough full length games now available for it, that I think it is an ok investment. Plus it should be forward compatible with the PS5 coming next year, though sounds like they will be making a new VR platform for the PS5.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Legit question, why would PS4 be better for the more serious gamers?

Its not so much the systems themselves, it just seems like PS4 has exclusivity to games that more serious gamers would be interested in. I’m not at all saying that XBOX isn’t great and doesn’t have its own exclusive games, because it does. And as I said, we went XBOX ourselves. It just seems like the serious gamers go PS4, if not both.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
If you also play games I'd say PS4, their exclusive titles are miles better than Xbox, tons of must play games. If it's really just for the kids I'd say Xbox because Gamepass is a straight up killer deal, for a small fee every month they'd get access to a ton of games they'd enjoy. Better than buying a bunch of games, especially this late in the console's life cycle.

FYI to the OP: the PS5 and new XBox will be released around this time next year.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
I have been given this advice...so I asked a few of his friends...the few that have gaming systems are about split evenly between PS4, Xbox and Switch! I do think this sounds like great advice though...

If they're split evenly I'd go with the Xbox and get the games pass on it. A cheap way to instantly have a collection of games available.