All Things Notre Dame

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
Aren't all Iowans that grew up Lutherans huge Luther College fans? o_O I Mean I know I am.....huge...someone tell me what their mascot is......;)

Uhhh, the Norsemen? Next silly question please!

Having grown up in the Lutheran church, many strides have been made to bridge the gap between the Catholics and the Lutherans... but some old rivalries die hard. Can’t wait to see the Cyclones kick the Catholics out of Florida!

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
Yeah I grew up Catholic and never had anything that made me want to pull for ND
Yeah, I'm catholic and actually disliked Notre Dame growing up because of that stereotype.

In my limited interaction with Reddit ND fans they are quite insufferable
Yeah, I loved the "no offense, but this is a lose-lose and we're insulted to be playing you." I can understand the disappointment, but don't act like what you're saying isn't insulting

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
“A team that's 10-2 should not have to play a no-name team that's 7-5. What conference are they in, anyway? Iowa State is not the same as Iowa, is it?”
About what I expected

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

Having grown up in the Lutheran church, many strides have been made to bridge the gap between the Catholics and the Lutherans... but some old rivalries die hard. Can’t wait to see the Cyclones kick the Catholics out of Florida!
Well, depends on which synod you are in, in the Lutheran church. But yes all I could think of is the Vikings but I think that is Decorah Highs mascot. LOL, and I know a lot of people that have went there, been to the campus, several times. And live fairly close. But then again many of these small colleges in Iowa have some religious affiliation.

Reactions: Yorel Fusspucker

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Iowa fans seem to really hate ND as well. Never understood where that came from.

A lot of Iowa fans/students, from what I understand, are the Illinois kids who couldn't get into U of Illinois.
Most kids growing up in Illinois had to deal with the handful of d-bag Notre Dame fans that thought they were better than everyone else. At least thats what I dealt with growing up in Illinois.
All the catholic kids dads I knew growing up had their kids drinking that holy water from South Bend. One reason I have never and will never cheer for Notre Dame in anything.

• Agree
Reactions: irish and 83cy

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I grew up Catholic in an exclusively Catholic tiny town in north Iowa, and not only have I never been a Notre Dame fan, neither was anyone I knew there.

othercy

Mar 31, 2012
Northern CA
“A team that's 10-2 should not have to play a no-name team that's 7-5. What conference are they in, anyway? Iowa State is not the same as Iowa, is it?”
About what I expected

Funny ... guy doesn't seem to know who ISU is. We are: 1) the guys who destroyed you the last time we met in athletic competition a couple years ago, remember? ... your BB coach described the blowout by saying: I really felt it was men playing against boys. They're really, really good. ; and 2) we are one of only 65 North American academic institutions who belong to the elite AAU - association of elite research universities (https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are) ... but you probably don't know what that is cuz ND has not qualified for membership.

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019

Being a practicing Catholic, I am not in the least offended by this. Go Cyclones!