Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Since focusing on my health starting a few years ago, I've become pretty agitated at how many things people do that promote unhealthy things.

Work has groups that bring in bad food for snacks, gas stations have sales/deals for donuts etc.

It's a choice to partake, but still.

Couldn’t agree more. I have a lot of working lunch meetings with groups. It seems like 90% of companies do jimmy johns for these meetings. So, you’re eating a bajillion carbs between the bread, chips, and 400+ calorie cookie. That’s assuming you don’t wash it all down with a coke, too. And for a guy who tries to limit refined carbs, there’s really not anything to eat other than to take the little meat/cheese out of the bread. I once did the “un-wich” order and it was like 150 calories. Not enough to sustain me for the rest of the day. Anymore, I just keep protein bars on hand so I don’t starve.

• Agree
Reactions: harimad and Cy$

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Since focusing on my health starting a few years ago, I've become pretty agitated at how many things people do that promote unhealthy things.

Work has groups that bring in bad food for snacks, gas stations have sales/deals for donuts etc.

It's a choice to partake, but still.

We’ve been getting multiple Xmas gift baskets a day sent to us for the last couple weeks now. Cookies, popcorn, breads, cakes, etc. Its out of control and I finally caved today. Cheryl’s Cookies are god damned phenomenal btw. It might be because I haven’t had much for carbs in over a month but idk.

We’ve got a customer that brings us a box of Casey’s doughnuts and a breakfast pizza every Wednesday. It really is brutal how much crap we get.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

It’s a process. Part of making this change permanent in your life is having the strength to get back on the wagon after a failure. You’re never going to be perfect with eating/exercise. However, that doesn’t mean you throw it all away just because you had a rough couple of days. You don’t need to be perfect, you just need to keep going. (PS - I recommend the book “Finish” by Jon Acuff is you want to read more about this)

I was up about 6lbs after Thanksgiving. Half of that was probably water weight. It would be easy to give in and say “guess I’ll just start over again after New Years.” Instead, I got my ass back to the gym and worked hard to drop those other few pounds.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We’ve been getting multiple Xmas gift baskets a day sent to us for the last couple weeks now. Cookies, popcorn, breads, cakes, etc. Its out of control and I finally caved today. Cheryl’s Cookies are god damned phenomenal btw. It might be because I haven’t had much for carbs in over a month but idk.

We’ve got a customer that brings us a box of Casey’s doughnuts and a breakfast pizza every Wednesday. It really is brutal how much crap we get.

I ate some bread tonight...usually get my carbs from fruit.

Plan is to eat very little tomorrow and walk 10ish miles.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I ate some bread tonight...usually get my carbs from fruit.

Plan is to eat very little tomorrow and walk 10ish miles.

I honestly don’t know if you’re being a smart ass or not but diet isn’t one size fits all. Bread ***** me up. If you’re serious, eating little and exercising probably isn’t the best way to go either.

I went keto (that thread turned into a **** show) because I’m allergic to fruit and moderately allergic to most grains. The only place I can get carbs without feeling like complete crap are things like corn, potatoes and carrots. Decided it was easy enough to cut those out.

Last edited:

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

1. You are more than a number. This isn't meant to be some healthy at every size crap, but you have value and worth beyond a number. You are not defined by what you weigh or what you eat.
2. That is almost certainly a high proportion of water weight because it's not usually possible for the body to gain that much *actual* weight that quickly.
3. Progress, not perfection. How are you feeling? You're still down from your start and you mentioned early on how much better you were feeling.
4. Holidays are hard when trying to manage a particular diet. Have a plan. Office goodies - partake to your heart's desire or only allow yourself 1 grab a week? Or hold out for a specific goodie you know you love and will be there. Having a plan helps.
5. Holiday parties - take what you truly love to eat and enjoy it. Skip the so-so's or even eating "healthy" stuff just because you feel you should. Sure, eat some veggies to take the edge off but if you're still going to eat the other stuff anyway, might as well save yourself the calories.

Good luck, this is a rough time of year to be trying to change your mindset around food and exercise.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Maybe I'm just genetically lucky, but I still don't think carbs are the devil. Just eat less food people.

Carbs aren’t the devil at all. It’s the type of carbs you eat that make the difference. Most of the carbs in America come from ****** processed foods. This is not the same as the carbs from eating fruits and veggies.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
1. You are more than a number. This isn't meant to be some healthy at every size crap, but you have value and worth beyond a number. You are not defined by what you weigh or what you eat.
2. That is almost certainly a high proportion of water weight because it's not usually possible for the body to gain that much *actual* weight that quickly.
3. Progress, not perfection. How are you feeling? You're still down from your start and you mentioned early on how much better you were feeling.
4. Holidays are hard when trying to manage a particular diet. Have a plan. Office goodies - partake to your heart's desire or only allow yourself 1 grab a week? Or hold out for a specific goodie you know you love and will be there. Having a plan helps.
5. Holiday parties - take what you truly love to eat and enjoy it. Skip the so-so's or even eating "healthy" stuff just because you feel you should. Sure, eat some veggies to take the edge off but if you're still going to eat the other stuff anyway, might as well save yourself the calories.

Good luck, this is a rough time of year to be trying to change your mindset around food and exercise.

Thanks for putting this out there. Number 3 is the most important point. I didn't even have a goal weight going into my journey with this. My goal was to feel better. To be active with my two sons. To be able to school my oldest when he’s out at the basketball hoop for a couple hours at a time. I want to two hand on his ass once in my life. Lol. The ultimate goal of a diet is to feel better.

I used to compete in triathlons. Ride my bike 200+ miles a week. I sold off my mountain bike but my road bike is still sitting here at the house but it’s too uncomfortable to ride at my current weight. I’m using it as motivation. I gained 100 pounds over the course of 4-5 years after college, job and kids got in the way. I always told myself when I was younger that I’d never get to where I’m at but life happens. Just make it a priority and it will happen.

I started at 6’6” 295 and am currently at 277. I’ve always fluctuated but haven’t seen the 270s in quite awhile. Even with my fluctuations now I haven’t seen the spikes over 280 in the last week or so. It might be all in my head but I can feel it.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I honestly don’t know if you’re being a smart ass or not but diet isn’t one size fits all. Bread ***** me up. If you’re serious, eating little and exercising probably isn’t the best way to go either.

I went keto (that thread turned into a **** show) because I’m allergic to fruit and moderately allergic to most grains. The only place I can get carbs without feeling like complete crap are things like corn, potatoes and carrots. Decided it was easy enough to cut those out.

No, not being a smart ass. If I slip and eat bread I feel like crap compared to a banana or apple. Not in an allergic sense, but just bloated etc.

I didn't mention- I ate a big meal with the bread, so yes, the plan is to eat far less today. Not quite fasting....I can't skip breakfast--but letting the body use what's there before piling more on.

And a long walk will help that along as well. I can't run due to a nagging calf strain so 10-12 mile walks are the ticket if I can hack it.

So yeah, my post was 100% not sarcastic, haha.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

And in some ways it's a good time to start to at least keep that awareness going.

I've decided the New Years resolution thing is overrated along with general post-holiday changes.

Making positive changes and goals is something we should always be striving to do no matter the time of year.

• Agree
Reactions: Blackhawk6515

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Going to try and see if my 68 year old knees will tolerated running some on the indoor track this afternoon. They are periodically okay for that and than just as suddenly get pissed at me and tell me to just stop it. Just got done with a season of road biking so guessing they might be okay at first and the further I get from the leg strengthening biking the less they will tolerate the running. We'll see. I haven't done any aerobic stuff since the weather forced me to hang the road bike up at the end of October. Will probably even weigh myself at gym, I don't even own a scale but do like to check it once in a while. I like this thread in spite of being a pretty lean guy because I kinda see it as more of a fitness and healthier lifestyle thread. So common interesting linky there.

BTW, can relate to the food stuffs at work comments here. Been retired for a few years and think I eat better/healthier now. Benefit of time to make something (if I am not lazy). No more foraging for quick lunch food in the skyways. Also breakfast. Not a morning person at all and can't eat first thing on waking so would end up eating donuts/rolls stuff mid-morning. Kinda easy to avoid that now, there's no coffee or quick shop down the hall. I was also guilty of bringing in treats like a carrot cake (has real veggies in it!) . That was my fav cake which I'd buy so I could have a slice. Not like I buy an entire cake for myself now so haven't had any since.

Reactions: cowgirl836

BobTheHawkHater

Jan 21, 2008
Curious if any on here have tried a diet plan sold through chiropractors called ChiroThin? It’s expensive and pretty wacky (all of the "this is total B.S." alarms were going off in my head when I was listening to our chiropractor's pitch) but it worked for me and the wife and several others we know. By “worked” I mean we both dropped about 10-15% of our body weight a year ago and haven’t put any back on. It seems to have adjusted our set points such that we naturally drift back to a new lower weight when we (mostly) try to stick to the plan. I never thought that was possible.

We have tried and failed previously at Weight Watchers, Atkins, keto, just exersizing more, etc.

I don't work for a chiropractor or have any financial interest in this plan. Just curious if anyone has tried it and what kind of experience you had.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Curious if any on here have tried a diet plan sold through chiropractors called ChiroThin? It’s expensive and pretty wacky (all of the "this is total B.S." alarms were going off in my head when I was listening to our chiropractor's pitch) but it worked for me and the wife and several others we know. By “worked” I mean we both dropped about 10-15% of our body weight a year ago and haven’t put any back on. It seems to have adjusted our set points such that we naturally drift back to a new lower weight when we (mostly) try to stick to the plan. I never thought that was possible.

We have tried and failed previously at Weight Watchers, Atkins, keto, just exersizing more, etc.

I don't work for a chiropractor or have any financial interest in this plan. Just curious if anyone has tried it and what kind of experience you had.

What's the diet entail?

Any diet that's 'expensive' makes no sense to even try.

Healthy food isn't as expensive as many want to think.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron