Picard

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

A vocal bunch of toxic internet nerds rated something poorly? Shocking. Havent seen that before anywhere.

The worst star trek among this group has always been what's currently airing. They hated Enterprise when it aired, DS9 when it aired, TNG when it aired, etc, and then suddenly appreciate it 10 years later.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
A vocal bunch of toxic internet nerds rated something poorly? Shocking. Havent seen that before anywhere.

The worst star trek among this group has always been what's currently airing. They hated Enterprise when it aired, DS9 when it aired, TNG when it aired, etc, and then suddenly appreciate it 10 years later.
It may be better than average sci-fi, but it is not Star Trek in the spirit of Roddenberry’s vision. It certainly isn’t the first time a franchise has been dumbed down and jazzed up for a modern audience. Maybe I’m too much of a purist when it comes to such a novel creation.

I guess I’ll tune in The Expanse season 4 and forget any more Discovery.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I've been waiting to watch this and binge Discovery.

If/when all the Star Trek series get pulled from Amazon Prime I actually might be somewhat a of a long term subscriber.

I've been watching one or two episodes in order of release on Prime for about 6 years now. Pretty cool to fill in all the gaps of TNG and DS9 I missed back when I'd just try to catch them new on regular tv and miss half of them. Voyager I probably had only seen 10-15 total.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

I've always been a Star Trek fan who loathes Trekkies.

TNG and DS9 are among the best TV series of any kind, not just Star Trek, and basically universally hated by Trekkies upon release.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
It may be better than average sci-fi, but it is not Star Trek in the spirit of Roddenberry’s vision. It certainly isn’t the first time a franchise has been dumbed down and jazzed up for a modern audience. Maybe I’m too much of a purist when it comes to such a novel creation.

I guess I’ll tune in The Expanse season 4 and forget any more Discovery.

Disagree. In fact I’d put Season 2 up there with the best Trek. It was outstanding.

• Agree
Reactions: alarson

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
I've always been a Star Trek fan who loathes Trekkies.

TNG and DS9 are among the best TV series of any kind, not just Star Trek, and basically universally hated by Trekkies upon release.
Not a Trekkie. Never had a set of Spock ears or dork apparel. TNG is the pinnacle of the franchise, IMHO. I'm looking forward to watching DS9 from start to finish, since my viewing had numerous gaps during the dark days when it originally aired. I hope they do justice to Picard.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Not a Trekkie. Never had a set of Spock ears or dork apparel. TNG is the pinnacle of the franchise, IMHO. I'm looking forward to watching DS9 from start to finish, since my viewing had numerous gaps during the dark days when it originally aired. I hope they do justice to Picard.

You are in for a treat! In my opinion, DS9 is the best trek series, with TNG second. Like all of them, it does take awhile to really find its feet.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Just googled this. I don’t care about it.

However, it’s wild that TV network’s streaming services are offering new TV content now. I feel like regular old TV shows are dead. Does anyone watch a network TV show anymore?
I haven't in years. I'm sure there are good shows but I'm unaware of them. Some start with promise and become cheesy before season 1 is over.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
I love Star Trek, but CBS either needs to lower their price to $1 a month or sell these shows to another streaming service. I got access for a month to binge 2 seasons of Discovery. There was nothing else worth watching on that app. Picard has great potential, so I'll wait until next year so I can binge again.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I love Star Trek, but CBS either needs to lower their price to $1 a month or sell these shows to another streaming service. I got access for a month to binge 2 seasons of Discovery. There was nothing else worth watching on that app. Picard has great potential, so I'll wait until next year so I can binge again.

Star Trek Discovery was a huge success for them in building their streaming service. Picard will probably be very successful too. Their whole streaming business model is built around these shows. I can’t imagine why they would sell them to another service.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Just googled this. I don’t care about it.

However, it’s wild that TV network’s streaming services are offering new TV content now. I feel like regular old TV shows are dead. Does anyone watch a network TV show anymore?
I do. But their end may be near...
So far I've resisted the urge to get CBS All Access. Their hit shows are released elsewhere after a year or so. However, I came across a package for DisneyPlus, Hulu and ESPN+ and bit...because ISU basketeball and Marvel and Star Wars.
So, I guess I'm not completely immune to hype after all!

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
You are in for a treat! In my opinion, DS9 is the best trek series, with TNG second. Like all of them, it does take awhile to really find its feet.

Ronald D Moore had a large hand writing and developing both TNG and DS9, and he was also responsible for the remake of Battlestar Galactica. If you watched and enjoyed BG then you would really like DS9 and TNG (at least the mid-to-later seasons of TNG). If you’ve enjoyed DS9 and didn’t watch Battlestar then do yourself a favor and start that series.

• Agree
Reactions: kcbob79clone

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Ronald D Moore had a large hand writing and developing both TNG and DS9, and he was also responsible for the remake of Battlestar Galactica. If you watched and enjoyed BG then you would really like DS9 and TNG (at least the mid-to-later seasons of TNG). If you’ve enjoyed DS9 and didn’t watch Battlestar then do yourself a favor and start that series.

So say we all!

Reactions: 3GenClone

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

Second half of Ds9 is incredible if you watch in sequence. Probably one of the first and best bingable tv tv series.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Second half of Ds9 is incredible if you watch in sequence. Probably one of the first and best bingable tv tv series.

I've seen Season 4 onward multiple times on Netflix. Awesome stuff.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I've seen Season 4 onward multiple times on Netflix. Awesome stuff.

I think it’s starts getting really good towards the end of season 2, and never lets up. I agree it’s a great show to rewatch! Great long story arcs, and the characters are so good.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
I think it’s starts getting really good towards the end of season 2, and never lets up. I agree it’s a great show to rewatch! Great long story arcs, and the characters are so good.
But you can’t really skip S1 because it sets up Sisko as the “Emissary” which gets revisited quite a bit.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
That was a great pilot! So well done. Patrick Stewart was outstanding as was the rest of the cast.

Can’t wait to see this unfold, but I do like that they releasing them weekly. Gives us time to enjoy and discuss each episode and speculate on the next.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoxsterCy