Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

adjl

Jun 13, 2019
Watched some of the game tonight. Have to admit, Garza will be a problem. He can score. But Iowa night play the worst defense I’ve ever seen. I still liked our chances.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Who in the Big 12 is Iowa better than? Kansas State? I mean I'm not expecting us to win by 30 but to think we have to play great to beat an NIT caliber team at Hilton is absurd
Watched some of the game tonight. Have to admit, Garza will be a problem. He can score. But Iowa night play the worst defense I’ve ever seen. I still liked our chances.
ISU is probably the worst defensive team Iowa will have played. They gave up 89 on a neutral court to Alabama. That's more than Furman, Penn, SFA gave up.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Who in the Big 12 is Iowa better than? Kansas State? I mean I'm not expecting us to win by 30 but to think we have to play great to beat an NIT caliber team at Hilton is absurd
Who in the Big 12 are we better than? Kansas St, for now?

I’m not expecting us to need to play great to win, but we also don’t need to play poorly to lose. We’re probably an NIT caliber team at home, so hopefully we play well and we win.

Cat Stevens

Mar 7, 2017
We lost to Michigan by 7 and somehow Iowa losing to Michigan by 13 makes Iowa unbeatable?

And three missed free throws from 75+ percent free throw shooters from it being a one possession game with 40 seconds left.

for some reason people are not attacking their guards with pressure and traps.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
So, during T-Giving, I was at my brother's house for an "extended-family" celebration. My brother's wife's parents were there (both Hawkeye alums - the dad was a Big 10 XC champion). Both are great people and will root for both Iowa & ISU (2 of their daughters are ISU Grads) - as long as they aren't playing each other. We watched the ISU-Alabama game & then switched over to the EIU-TTU game after that. I found it rather interesting listening to the mom talk about both ISU's and Iowa's teams. She was a big fan of the fact that Iowa's roster has so many Iowa kids, but disappointed that the same is NOT true for ISU. She was not happy with Hoiberg for his recruiting tactics (too many transfers and "questionable" players) and that somehow he was unfair to Clayton Custer (a best friend of one of her grandson's) & "chased him off."
I did mention that Custer had mono and that sickness "put him behind the 8-ball" and that it was likely his choice to go somewhere where he could become "the man."
Anyway, the more she talked about being a fan of Kriener, Weiskamp, Pemsl, Till, Baer, Jorbo, et al, it reminded me of a LOT of Hawks I know in regards to their excitement for their roster - they like it that Fran is handing out schollies to Iowans - players who are legacies or fans. They feel like they are actually rooting for our state (probably why many of these fans are also big-time UNI fans).
Fran's recruiting technique seems to resonate with the fanbase (and, most importantly, to GARBAR).

they have ONE weight class with an Iowan right now and honestly I don’t think fans give a crap. It’s great to cheer for homegrown kids but only if they can play to the level of fan expectations.

johnnydugouts

Jan 11, 2013
Didn't both players get technicals? Still, I suppose Jacobson is a greater asset to Iowa State than no-actual-basketball-skill Pemsl is to Iowa.

And to think, Iowa fans like to complain about Iowa State bringing in thug players...

I want to see mike and connor fight over who has the higher GPA, who gets the better job out of school, or who inherits the most money. That’s what the fans come to see.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
and they were 4 baskets from taking the lead.

see how dumb that sounds
But 3 missed free throws from being a 1 possession game is different? Iowa missed a few open shots to make it very interesting. ISU missed a few free throws that would have made it interesting. Michigan was at home.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008
Hahaha please tell me this wasn’t meant to be a joke.
Cat wants to act like Iowa got blown out. It was a very similar game to how ISU played them. They never went down by more than 13 and it was 6 with about 5 to play. It was on Michigans home court and their coaches first Big Ten game as a coach. Iowa battled.

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
Cat wants to act like Iowa got blown out. It was a very similar game to how ISU played them. They never went down by more than 13 and it was 6 with about 5 to play. It was on Michigans home court and their coaches first Big Ten game as a coach. Iowa battled.

Oh my you were serious. The two games weren’t anywhere close. ISU had the ball down 6 with around 30 seconds left. That is a competitive game. Iowa was down by 14-12 for the last 2 minutes straight. That isn’t a blowout, just a getting your butt kicked. Look at the DePaul game for the definition of a blowout.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Pretty crazy - that was Iowa's best adjusted offensive performance in 4 years but also their worst defensive performance since January 2018.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron