Post season volleyball thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Jenna came in about 1/2 way through 2nd set. Can someone explain to me why we wouldn’t just move Schuler to RS and keep everyone else in the same spots with El out? No one seems to know where to block/dig/tip coverage and it just seems like a lot of unneeded adjustments for a tourney game

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Just started watching - has Jenna been setting the whole match?
Pretty much.
I think with the rise of so many programs around us I really don't see rising above them. Sure Eleanore was off, but seems there is always an excuse. I think our past is, as the saying goes, prologue.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Pretty much.
I think with the rise of so many programs around us I really don't see rising above them. Sure Eleanore was off, but seems there is always an excuse. I think our past, is as the saying goes, prologue.
Yeah and we weren't playing one of the top programs - Minn, Wisc, Neb, Ill, etc. We were swept quickly by a team in Creighton - that I'm sure doesn't have a single player CJL would offer a scholarship to...

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Jenna came in about 1/2 way through 2nd set. Can someone explain to me why we wouldn’t just move Schuler to RS and keep everyone else in the same spots with El out? No one seems to know where to block/dig/tip coverage and it just seems like a lot of unneeded adjustments for a tourney game
This was the 3rd match in a row with Schuler at OH.

What is more bizarre to me is the setter shuffling the last two matches.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The announcers had good things and starkly frank things to say about our team. We clump up as play goes on. They explained why they believed that is so. Service errors, and lax play, were issues too. I have to say the team, even to the end, seemed happy and glad to be fighting to the last point. They just lack the weapons.

Last edited:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Went to the match. Seen us play here in Minnesota a number of times (last was spring game with Gophers a couple years ago). Never seen us not even threaten to take a set playing here. :(

• Friendly
Reactions: StClone

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Why I state Eleanor is not a dominating presence, you will not find her in these stats-Official Big 12. Like I said I love her play but she is not a dominating player. She is good all-around, and one of my favorites, but to be honest the stats don't lie.
Individual Leaders
Kills per set #
Y Pressley
Baylor 5.52
E Hill
Texas Tech 4.23
M White
Texas 4.02
A Dunbar
Oklahoma 3.84
L Eggleston
Texas 3.51
Complete leaders
Kills #
E Hill
Texas Tech 491
Y Pressley
Baylor 458
A Dunbar
Oklahoma 349
M White
Texas 342
B Carlson
Kansas St. 309
Complete leaders
Hitting Percentage #
B Butler
Texas .422
S Stafford
Baylor .365
S Fields
Texas .330
C Herrera
Iowa St. .317
P Williams
Kansas St. .314
Complete leaders
Blocks per set #
B Butler
Texas 1.62
B Kadiku
Oklahoma 1.34
K McGhee
Baylor 1.31
R Langs
Kansas 1.15
Z Hill
Kansas 1.07
Complete leaders
Digs per set #
K Kinley
Oklahoma 5.00
A Hasting
West Virginia 4.18
E Solano
Texas Tech 4.01
D Kuck
Kansas St. 3.66
A Nelson
Kansas 3.59
Complete leaders
Digs #
K Kinley
Oklahoma 475
E Solano
Texas Tech 457
A Hasting
West Virginia 451
A Nelson
Kansas 345
I Enna
Iowa St. 335
Complete leaders
Service Aces per set #
L Eggleston
Texas 0.55
M White
Texas 0.34
M Schuler
Iowa St. 0.32
B Kadiku
Oklahoma 0.29
P Mauck
Iowa St. 0.26
Complete leaders
Assists per set #
H Lockin
Baylor 11.38
J Gabriel
Texas 10.46
P Mauck
Iowa St. 10.36
L Zerwas
West Virginia 10.33
A Kirby
Texas Tech 10.22
Complete leaders

Guess it depends on your definition of "dominating". Eleanor is #7 K/S, #16 in Kills# on a list with some pretty elite athletes. She also missed 2 games in which ISU definitely struggled without her.

Also looking forward to watching her progress as well as the team next year. Hats off to Josie as she concludes her time as a true Cyclone!

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
It was a disappointing end to the season for ISU, but I think just making the field of 64 is an accomplishment, considering the ups and downs of the season.

There were plenty of other games yesterday, too. Here are some results of note:

Northern Iowa got swept by Missouri: 11, 13, 14. Either they were not at all prepared or the Valley was a really bad league in 2019. Maybe both.

Illinois lost to Utah, 3-2, in 2 point sets all the way to fifth where they fell 15-10. Illinois was ranked every week this season except for the final regular season poll, in spite of never being more than 3 games over .500.

UCF was swept by Florida after knocking out Florida State on Thursday.

Rice lost to Texas A&M, 3-1, after sweeping Oklahoma on Thursday.

Baylor swept Sacred Heart. S.H. put up a fight in the first and second sets (20, 18), but had nothing left in the third (8).

Texas was taken to five sets by UC Santa Barbara. UCSB claimed sets two and three before UT came back.

The only seeded team to lose in the first round was #15 Western Kentucky. Louisville topped them in five, with the fifth set score being 15-5. All other sets were within four points.

Edit to add: TCU has advanced to the NIVC quarterfinals with wins over Miami (OH), 3-2, and Bowling Green, 3-0.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
It was a disappointing end to the season for ISU, but I think just making the field of 64 is an accomplishment, considering the ups and downs of the season.
We ended the season on a very down note - losing four straight: to TTech, then an awful KU team, then Texas and swept by Creighton in the biggest match of our season.
Sorry, it's obvious we shouldn't have been in the tournament.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
This was my first season as a season ticket holder. At first it was just me and my girlfriend going to games. As the season wore on it was us plus a granddaughter, then granddaughter and friends, by the end there were 4 or 5 at each game. So much fun, VB is really great in person. Next year we are getting at least 3, maybe 4 season tickets. Hope we can get a little better on the court, sort of the opposite of last year when we kept getting better late into the year.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
We ended the season on a very down note - losing four straight: to TTech, then an awful KU team, then Texas and swept by Creighton in the biggest match of our season.
What are you sorry for? Regardless of how I or anyone else felt about ISU being *in* the tournament (I don't feel the resume' was good enough and stated as much), I'm happy the team was there and got to feel the thrill of selection day and experience an NCAA tournament game. These are special things that not every student athlete gets to have.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
What are you sorry for? Regardless of how I or anyone else felt about ISU being *in* the tournament (I don't feel the resume' was good enough and stated as much), I'm happy the team was there and got to feel the thrill of selection day and experience an NCAA tournament game. These are special things that not every student athlete gets to have.
Yes - the program is made up of great female student athletes and they represent Iowa State impressively in every way possible. I was happy for the team too.

• Agree

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
The team earned their spot in the tourney based on selection criteria used over the years. Holthaus’ Injury obviously impacted the team’s performance yesterday and shouldn’t justify a claim they didn’t deserve to get in.

That said, program results and recruiting have noticeably slipped and potential changes to facilities, staff and training/conditioning methods all need to be evaluated as well as perhaps getting more active in recruiting transfers.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Some results of interest from Saturday (and updated bracket at the bottom):

Two more seeded teams lost in the second round yesterday. The highest seeded team to go down on their home court was #6 Pittsburgh. They had lost just once all season and sat at #2 in the polls for several weeks as Baylor and Texas kept jumping over them, trading the top spot. Cincinnati took them down in five sets, including a very close 15-13 decision in the last frame.

Utah swept 14 seed BYU in Provo, 15, 15, 15. Doesn't seem like BYU was ready - that's a very solid win for the Utes.

Baylor swept USC, 23, 17, 22.

Minnesota defeated Creighton, 3-2, in what looks like could have been a wild match to witness in person. Only the fourth set was decided by less than five points (26-24, Minny).

The top four seeds all won (Baylor, Texas, Stanford, Wisconsin), so each will host regional games. The Big 10 got five teams into the Sweet 16. The Pac 12 and SEC both got three teams in, while the Big 12 got two. The American, ACC, and Big West each got one team past the second round.

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/volleyball-women/d1/2019

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Proud of our Cyclones ~ started out tough and kept fighting in the match against Creighton. Watched Creighton vs. Minnesota, and it was a TOUGH match! Creighton was up 24-20 in the 4th set (Match Point) and lost a heartbreaker... ugh!
I can't help but be annoyed, though, at all the "ISU didn't deserve to be in the tournament" talk... the team didn't make it last year, so this year wasn't just handed to them. Yes, the last couple of games were not the best, but the Baylor & Texas losses were factored in as well as Holthaus's injury... plus it also involves the other team's records as well and we were not the "last four in".
I am also torn about getting a new facility just for volleyball and wrestling ~ Iowa State has big plans for wrestling and with Dresser as the coach, it could happen! Wrestling in Hilton maybe huge again and will need all of those seats.
Lastly, we have a young team that will be even better and stronger next year... this was supposed to be a "down" year and look what they accomplished! Go Cyclones!

• Agree
Reactions: ISUalways

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
This was my first season as a season ticket holder. At first it was just me and my girlfriend going to games. As the season wore on it was us plus a granddaughter, then granddaughter and friends, by the end there were 4 or 5 at each game. So much fun, VB is really great in person. Next year we are getting at least 3, maybe 4 season tickets. Hope we can get a little better on the court, sort of the opposite of last year when we kept getting better late into the year.
Yes the matches are great in person at Hilton. Very addicting when you get there early and have good seats. Fun too is getting autographes and talk to the players when available. I got Eleanor to sign a ball for me and it has a nice spot among my tchotchkes and ISU memorabilia going back to the 70's.

Reactions: Buster28

Row55

Feb 21, 2009
A couple of things on facilities - Wisconsin plays in their old Fieldhouse, which I believe was built by the Pilgrims a couple of years following their landing at Plymouth Rock. Have not been there for a few years, but at that time there was a fair amount of deferred maintenance. Missouri plays in the 70's vintage Hearnes Center, which was also a bit worn looking last time I was there. The new building in Coralville is mainly for hockey as I understand it. I don't know how it will be for volleyball, but I suspect a little too large. Saint Louis built a combo practice/competition facility about 10 years ago, but it looks and feels like a high school gym.

I know there are a number of major schools with dedicated facilities and those can be pretty nice, but playing in the schools main arena isn't the worst thing. Ask UNI if they'd rather move back to the West Gym ;)

• Informative