STAFF PICKS: Jalen Terry

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
For all intensive purposes of this argument have Grill or Jackson? I live those 2 and they are both going to be great Cyclones but Berry has shot over 44% from 3 for 3 years now on 357 shots. That's a dead eye this current team does not have.

My point is there are a bunch of dudes that can shoot like that but they are not big 12 worthy.

Malone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2010
Des Moines
For all intensive purposes of this argument have Grill or Jackson? I live those 2 and they are both going to be great Cyclones but Berry has shot over 44% from 3 for 3 years now on 357 shots. That's a dead eye this current team does not have.

It's "for all intents and purposes"

Sorry to be that guy but this makes me cringe

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Getting your shot off in the Big 12 is probably more difficult.

Plenty of guys have shot well and been efficient on offense at a mid-major (or below) and suddenly found themselves unable to score when they moved up a level or two.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Getting your shot off in the Big 12 is probably more difficult.

Plenty of guys have shot well and been efficient on offense at a mid-major (or below) and suddenly found themselves unable to score when they moved up a level or two.
Yeah just like Steph Curry, wait I did that wrong didn't I?

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
Steph Curry going from Davidson to 3x NBA champion and 2x NBA MVP is not evidence that any shooter can move up a few levels and remain effective.
No I agree, this kind of increase in level definitely messed with T Lew, and countless others. I am just saying that sometimes it does translate to the next level if the mechanics are there. Who would have thought just over the rim Matt Thomas would be a current NBA player? Granted he needed a couple years overseas to adjust to speed, but mechanics are massive.

Reactions: Doc

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The staff can't pass on talented PG recruit like Terry. To compete for Big12 Championships, elite players are needed.

If we can't get Terry, IMO with a spring signing class we need size more than shooters for next years squad. The Michigan game (and other recent NCAA losses) showed we lack a long, physical big. I look at Conditt and Foster as similar players- finesse shot blockers. Young is a mismatch against taller players.

The current roster (less Halliburton) plus fall commits, it would seem Prohm should have his guard/wing players:

PG Jackson, Walker
Wings Bolton, Johnson, Griffin, Grill, Lewis, Dubar, Blackwell
PF Conditt, Foster
C Young

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The staff can't pass on talented PG recruit like Terry. To compete for Big12 Championships, elite players are needed.

If we can't get Terry, IMO with a spring signing class we need size more than shooters for next years squad. The Michigan game (and other recent NCAA losses) showed we lack a long, physical big. I look at Conditt and Foster as similar players- finesse shot blockers. Young is a mismatch against taller players.

The current roster (less Halliburton) plus fall commits, it would seem Prohm should have his guard/wing players:

PG Jackson, Walker
PF Conditt, Foster
C Young
I'm going to the 7 foot and over store and picking up a 270 pounder. I'll be right back.

• Funny
Reactions: LincolnSwinger

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
No I agree, this kind of increase in level definitely messed with T Lew, and countless others. I am just saying that sometimes it does translate to the next level if the mechanics are there. Who would have thought just over the rim Matt Thomas would be a current NBA player? Granted he needed a couple years overseas to adjust to speed, but mechanics are massive.

To be fair it took Matt a year to adjust to the Big 12 even with those mechanics entering the league. Tre and Caleb could become very reliable shooters we are looking for, even later this year, as they get more time on the court and the B12 speed slows down for them.

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Took him more than a year.

Yes, and there were a few expecting Matt to transfer too. If the staff see the talent everyday in practice there is a reason a player is on the team even if it isn't showing up in games right away. The transfer of Anderson and Leech showed me that Prohm will make the hard choice and not just hold a player on scholarship if they aren't going to see minutes. It is better for team and them so both can thrive.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Steph Curry going from Davidson to 3x NBA champion and 2x NBA MVP is not evidence that any shooter can move up a few levels and remain effective.

Exactly. The OP said "plenty of guys" which means there are other guys who do not fall into the described category, Steph being in the category of "other guys."

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

PG Jackson, Walker
PF Conditt, Foster
C Young
How does the Michigan game and other NCAA losses show we need size more than shooters?
Against Michigan the main difference was outside shooting and them having a small-ball four.

Young, Foster, and Conditt are as big of a frontline as you’ll find. Given we’re likely to play minutes with a small ball 4 like Michigan did, we need shooting more than we need another conventional 4 or 5.

That’s even more true if we lose Haliburton. If he comes back, and/or Grill, Jackson, Walker, and Dinar are as good as hoped, perhaps we target another big.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
How does the Michigan game and other NCAA losses show we need size more than shooters?
Against Michigan the main difference was outside shooting and them having a small-ball four.

Young, Foster, and Conditt are as big of a frontline as you’ll find. Given we’re likely to play minutes with a small ball 4 like Michigan did, we need shooting more than we need another conventional 4 or 5.

That’s even more true if we lose Haliburton. If he comes back, and/or Grill, Jackson, Walker, and Dinar are as good as hoped, perhaps we target another big.
I have thought they needed at least 1 more Big either a GT or a JUCO as well.

• Agree
Reactions: hoosman

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I have thought they needed at least 1 more Big either a GT or a JUCO as well.
With Conditt, Young, and Foster? Even with a two big lineup, that’s as many bigs as we’ve had in the last decade. And imo we’ll go small a lot, with Johnson, Blackwell, and Zion are going to eat a lot of minutes at the 4.

If Haliburton comes back, I guess we would have the luxury. I’d guess a redshirt transfer unless it’s a clear starter type.

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
With Conditt, Young, and Foster? Even with a two big lineup, that’s as many bigs as we’ve had in the last decade. And imo we’ll go small a lot, with Johnson, Blackwell, and Zion are going to eat a lot of minutes at the 4.

If Haliburton comes back, I guess we would have the luxury. I’d guess a redshirt transfer unless it’s a clear starter type.
Maybe not a GT but a good sit out would be great.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Maybe not a GT but a good sit out would be great.
Ah, I thought you meant for next year. Yeah, if Lewis leaves, a good sit-out frontcourt guy would fit the roster pipeline

If it’s just Lewis, really any quality sit out makes sense. I could see them going after redshirting guard, depending on what Jackson shows in the next few months. Imo it’s better to have just two experienced bigs (Foster and Conditt) than just two pg/lead guards (Jackson and Walker) for 2021-22.

Planning for 2021-22 is a great sign. Hopefully most things go as expected. Prohm hasn’t had a lot of good fortune in roster building imo.

Last edited:

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

If Prohm hasn't got his shooters with Jackson, Grill, Bolton, Johnson, Dubar, Blackwell and Walker then he signed the wrong recruits.

Our kryptonite the last few years has been tall/physical post players. I think Conditt and Foster are a great foundation for the future, but they are finesse post players. Solo is physical, but undersized from a height standpoint. Plus Solo will be a senior.

Prohm has been preaching having a stronger defensive team and I think a tall/physical post compliments Conditt/Foster & Young.

I don't see any of our existing posts a defensive match for players like Teske, Wesson, Azubuike, etc.