Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Iowa is definitely not as good as Seton Hall, no doubt, but they will be just about as difficult to beat IMO when this is THE GAME of the year for Iowa every year.

They played an injured guy against us last year, and then RS him afterwards. This year they sat JorBo for a game a few weeks ago so he could still play ISU and then he'll take a RS too after the ISU game. Heck, Fran might even throw Patrick out there for a few minutes if it would help them beat us? I don't know what lengths Fran won't go to to beat us anymore? It's sad.

If ISU fans don't realize that Iowa plays a couple levels better than usual against us by now, I don't know what to tell you.

Iowa doesn't play a couple levels better, they have just out worked us. IMO we tend to dig ourselves a hole in this game every year because we never seem to match Iowa's super bowl hustle/intensity right out if the gate. I say it every damn year but the key to the game is to weather the storm through the first 10 minutes and we will be fine. What frustrates is that Iowa always makes the hustle plays in this game and we don't... I've said it for years but Fran is actually really good at putting together a game plan, it's the in game adjustments where he falls apart. If you make Iowa go off script early they tend to get blown out.

Reactions: heitclone

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Same foul concern for Conditt. Having Jocobson and Solomon where EIU has the drop off to Kriener obviously limit the exposure if Conditt gets a couple of early fouls but the team is at it's best with him blocking shots and finishing lobs at the rim.

We also can't let Iowa hide Garza in the zone. Our zone offense needs to be active, we are often way too stagnant against a zone D. Get the ball to the middle, hit the cutters, and take it right at Garza and make him defend. Don't settle for early three's!

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet and ATCy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
i hate that name Solo
Han-Solo.jpg

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
We also can't let Iowa hide Garza in the zone. Our zone offense needs to be active, we are often way too stagnant against a zone D. Get the ball to the middle, hit the cutters, and take it right at Garza and make him defend. Don't settle for early three's!

Conditt's ability to rim run will play big in that aspect. Garza isn't a liability when set in front of the rim but obviously is slow footed and get's out of position when forced to move both laterally and "sprinting" to the opposite end on turnovers.
Look for Prohm to exploit that with Conditt and stretching out Jacobson to the 3 pt line. I could see Solomon's minutes being limited since his game is best 10 ft in, which is the matchup type Garza wants.

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I honestly think we lose to Iowa

Well I do too. Just so you all know nobody wants the Cyclones to win more than me. Nobody! I just think we are still trying to find some consistency and they will probably expose that. Glad it's at home and just maybe the crowd will give us the edge......

• Agree
Reactions: cyguy9320