Is Lewis injured because

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Both of them had some unfortunate Leeroy Jenkins qualities --

I am going to the hole/taking this shot come hell or high water.

THT was streaky as heck, but when he was on, he was on.

Wigginton was a consistent 40% three point shooter. We desperately need that now. I would tolerate a few of his turnovers if he would drill a few triples.
I miss Wigginton's 3's. I don't miss his lackadaisical defense or his wild attempts to draw fouls in the lane that almost always ended in a turnover or overall head scratching layup attempt off the bottom of the backboard

Jacktronic

MONDAYTUESDAYWEDNESDAYTHURSDAYFRIDAYSATURDAYSUNDAY
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 16, 2013
Kansas City, MO
I haven't really looked deeply at the numbers myself, where exactly is our defensive weakness?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I haven't really looked deeply at the numbers myself, where exactly is our defensive weakness?
Based on pure eye test, we've been giving up a lot of easy straight line drives, we gamble a lot and give up easy buckets that way however we generate turnovers that way as well, and we also have been giving up way too many offensive rebounds for second chance points.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Our adjusted offensive efficiency = #30
Our adjusted defensive efficiency = #91

In the relative sense, our offense is better than our defense.

Looking at it...

We allow an eFG% of 50% (or good for #205 in the country)
We do generate a ton of turnovers, though (#24 nationally)
Our defensive rebounding is atrocious (#265 nationally)
We are very good at avoiding fouls, however (#9 nationally)
We are better against two-pointers (#129) than three-pointers (#286)

Shortening it --

Teams are killing us with offensive rebounds and we are bad at stopping them from having good looks from three, but we do not foul much, especially for a team that seems to be very aggressive about going for the ball and turnovers.

We are a high-risk, high-reward kind of defense, but it has mostly been risk so far.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Of course -- a rangy wing who could shoot would be the perfect "4" in a small-ball lineup and unlock a lot of things the roster cannot do right now.

Shayok was first-team all-Big 12 for a reason. But Shayok graduated.

THT and Wigginton could have (and not trying to reopen that debate) come back, and I imagine Prohm was planning on having at least Horton-Tucker now.

Haliburton
Jackson
Nixon
Horton-Tucker
Conditt

...or something like that...

Gives you two small guards, two lanky guards who can guard larger wings, and a big man to protect the rim. We just lack that small-ball 4 man right now.

Lately I've been thinking about how Lard may have been one of most naturally talented players I've seen at ISU when that talent was applied. Could move, could handle OK, great touch around the basket and actually a nice jumper.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Lately I've been thinking about how Lard may have been one of most naturally talented players I've seen at ISU when that talent was applied. Could move, could handle OK, great touch around the basket and actually a nice jumper.
Sometimes, even the most talented people / athletes can't get out of their own way. Lard had such a large upside but could never fully figure out how to be a college athlete.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
It's obvious that Lewis is in the proverbial doghouse. He either isn't giving effort in practice, or showing up late to practice..... something.

He's definitely a better player than any of our walk ons, no doubt about that. So the fact they are playing and he isn't means something else is going on.

IMO, there's 3 main reasons this team is struggling, and probably will continue to.....

1. I've said this only about a hundred times, but if you don't recruit shooters, then don't expect to score. Right now at any given time, we might have 1 or 2 guys on the floor you trust to shoot a 3. Under Hoiberg, we had 4 or 5 guys on the floor you trusted to do it. But none of the guys Prohm brought in this season, or next season for that matter, are known as "shooters", but I think Jackson will be a good one. So you get what you get.

2. Griffin thus far is not living up to any of his hype.

3. Lewis never developed to be a contributor in any fashion. He shot like 60% from 3 his senior year of high school.... so he definitely should have been one of those "shooters" you need.... but it's just never panned out for whatever reason.

• Agree
Reactions: Baseline23

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Lewis may be back, but it won’t be because the staff wants to have another scholarship to give for the 2021-22 season. If the 2021-22 frontcourt is dictating things, Lewis is gone and they’re adding a redshirt transfer forward.

We already have 2 SF in the incoming class and another one sitting this year. We're all full up 3 thru 5 until Young leaves.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
We already have 2 SF in the incoming class and another one sitting this year. We're all full up 3 thru 5 until Young leaves.
I didn’t mention SF.

A redshirting transfer forward replacing Lewis this offseason would become eligible after Young graduates.

Lewis may return, but it won’t be because they’re wanting to keep a scholarship available for a forward in the following class.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's obvious that Lewis is in the proverbial doghouse. He either isn't giving effort in practice, or showing up late to practice..... something.

He's definitely a better player than any of our walk ons, no doubt about that. So the fact they are playing and he isn't means something else is going on.

IMO, there's 3 main reasons this team is struggling, and probably will continue to.....

1. I've said this only about a hundred times, but if you don't recruit shooters, then don't expect to score. Right now at any given time, we might have 1 or 2 guys on the floor you trust to shoot a 3. Under Hoiberg, we had 4 or 5 guys on the floor you trusted to do it. But none of the guys Prohm brought in this season, or next season for that matter, are known as "shooters", but I think Jackson will be a good one. So you get what you get.

2. Griffin thus far is not living up to any of his hype.

3. Lewis never developed to be a contributor in any fashion. He shot like 60% from 3 his senior year of high school.... so he definitely should have been one of those "shooters" you need.... but it's just never panned out for whatever reason.
I mentioned this before but there are times at the ends of games where putting in the scholarship guys can be demeaning. With a minute left in a blow out, that's when the walk ons come in and try and get in the scorebook. When there's 5-6 minutes or more in a sure in win, that's when you put in the non-rotation scholarship guys so they can get a bit of quality time.

Caleb Grill was a shooter in high school. Shot it around 39%. Tre Jackson also shot it well. Darlinstone Dubar, a 2020 recruit has been talked about by scouts as a scorer who can stretch the floor.

I wouldn't get too upset about the shooting woes. Outside of Nixon, all of the guards we're playing are freshman and sophomores. Give them all a bit of time.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I didn’t mention SF.

A redshirting transfer forward replacing Lewis this offseason would become eligible after Young graduates.

Lewis may return, but it won’t be because they’re wanting to keep a scholarship available for a forward in the following class.

Why is it so difficult for you to understand Lewis doesn't have a spot that needs replaced.

As for the bigs with Conditt and Foster the likelihood of getting a quality transfer is in doubt. Getting a couple 2021 HS frontliners would be a better way to go.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Why is it so difficult for you to understand Lewis doesn't have a spot that needs replaced.

As for the bigs with Conditt and Foster the likelihood of getting a quality transfer is in doubt. Getting a couple 2021 HS frontliners would be a better way to go.
I’m not saying he has a spot that needs to be replaced.
I’m saying your comment that Lewis will return because of frontcourt needs in 2021-22 doesn’t make sense. Let me remind you of what you claimed:

“I think Lewis will be back next year. My reasoning is when he an Young graduate we will be down to 3 bigs, 2 being Seniors So we will need to add 2 even though we're only losing one. Basically making his Scholly banked for an extra future big.”

Again, if there is a connection with Lewis and frontcourt needs for 2021-22, we benefit from Lewis leaving and freeing a scholarship for a transfer. We’re just as likely to be able to land a redshirting transfer that can contribute in 2021-22 as we are a high school player. Conditt is the only proven frontcourt player for that year.

Last edited:

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I’m not saying he has a spot that needs to be replaced.
I’m saying your comment that Lewis will return because of frontcourt needs in 2021-22 doesn’t make sense. Let me remind you of what you claimed:

“I think Lewis will be back next year. My reasoning is when he an Young graduate we will be down to 3 bigs, 2 being Seniors So we will need to add 2 even though we're only losing one. Basically making his Scholly banked for an extra future big.”

Again, if there is a connection with Lewis and frontcourt needs for 2021-22, we benefit from Lewis leaving and freeing a scholarship for a transfer. We’re just as likely to be able to land a redshirting transfer that can contribute in 2021-22 as we are a high school player. Conditt is the only proven frontcourt player for that year.

Like I said with Conditt and Foster a good transfer isn't coming to the frontcourt. If Lewis moves on next year it will be because Prohm landed another PG. That's the only realistic need you can find for next year's roster.

• Disagree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I feel like the way Prohm's been talking.... he's going to be over-recruiting by at least one... so we should expect at least one player to transfer. If that's the case, it's pretty obvious right now who that might be.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Like I said with Conditt and Foster a good transfer isn't coming to the frontcourt. If Lewis moves on next year it will be because Prohm landed another PG. That's the only realistic need you can find for next year's roster.
Like I said, that’s not true.

The ability to sell a transfer in March or April 2019 to compete with Conditt and unproven freshmen-to-be isn’t less than getting a high school forward recruit (that is good enough to be a major minutes guy as a freshman) to follow this class. We shouldn’t have an issue getting a Johnson or Jacobson level transfer, unheralded guys that as redshirt upperclassmen are more likely to contribute than most freshman forwards.

If Haliburton moves on we’ll hopefully sign a pg. Assuming Lewis joins him, we’ll likely use it on a redshirting transfer, but perhaps another immediate eligible player. If it’s only Lewis, the odds become very high it’s a redshirting transfer.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I feel like the way Prohm's been talking.... he's going to be over-recruiting by at least one... so we should expect at least one player to transfer. If that's the case, it's pretty obvious right now who that might be.

Last year was his year to go if he was going to.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC