Oklahoma/Utah- Who makes the Playoff?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I honestly believe the discussion of Utah vs Big 12 Champ is moot. Stupid Georgia is going to beat LSU and we will see the committee find a way to get to SEC schools.

#1 OSU vs #4 LSU
#2 Clem vs #3 UGA

If LSU wins, my opinion is the Big12 winner should be in based off of strength of record. I hate the eye-ball test/game control. I believe its been proven that the better team can run up the score and look like all-stars if playing weaker competition. For that matter, despite Dabo's whining, if his team loses he should probably be out too.

LSU is going to roll UGA.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I honestly believe the discussion of Utah vs Big 12 Champ is moot. Stupid Georgia is going to beat LSU and we will see the committee find a way to get to SEC schools.

#1 OSU vs #4 LSU
#2 Clem vs #3 UGA

If LSU wins, my opinion is the Big12 winner should be in based off of strength of record. I hate the eye-ball test/game control. I believe its been proven that the better team can run up the score and look like all-stars if playing weaker competition. For that matter, despite Dabo's whining, if his team loses he should probably be out too.
Wouldn't be surprised by this at all. Nor would I be surprised by BU beating OU.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Wouldn't be surprised by this at all. Nor would I be surprised by BU beating OU.
I just don't see a way Baylor wins tomorrow. Only way they can is if they start fast like they did last time...and that wasn't enough last time.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
My guess on what the committee is doing with Oklahoma at 6 and Utah at 5. They are giving themselves the ability to go either way. If the want to go with Utah after seeing the championship games they can say Utah was slightly ahead and Oklahoma didn't do enough to overtake them. If they want to go with Oklahoma they say they played a better team in the championship and that last data point moves them ahead of Utah when there was very little margin going into the games. Style points and margin of victory are going to matter.

As an example, if the committee had put Oklahoma a spot ahead of Utah after last week it would have been really hard for them to justify moving Utah back ahead this week if they both won with Oklahoma playing the higher ranked team. Unless Utah won in a blowout or Oklahoma won in a game they didn't look good in or had a controversial ending.

Last edited:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I didn't understand this last week and still don't. Utah is #5 and OU is #6. If they both win their CCGs Utah is in. The Playoff Committee has been telegraphing this for weeks.

If there was an argument to be had for ranking OU higher than UU it's moot now. Utah MUST lose for OU to get in.

Correct. Maybe if Utah wins a nail biter and OU really runs it up on BU then the committee will flip them and take OU. But if they both win in a reasonable manner Utah will stay above OU as has already been the case.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
It blows my mind they are not getting massive negative media coverage every day to go along with their success this year. Apparently crime does pay.

They kissed BU's ass when gameday was there, talking about how great they've turned things around after the rape cover ups. Kept pointing out that this was a different staff, players etc....which is all true except they left out the part where even after all of this was made public, there was no justice for the dozens of women who were raped and most of their fans were just fine with how things went down. It was just a puff piece to try to redeem Baylor's rep. Disgusting.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Who is the Heisman candidate that plays for Utah again?

OU is in if they win, because the NCAA and ESPN can sell Jalen Hurts to a TV audience.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
My guess on what the committee is doing with Oklahoma at 6 and Utah at 5. They are giving themselves the ability to go either way. If the want to go with Utah after seeing the championship games they can say Utah was slightly ahead and Oklahoma didn't do enough to overtake them. If they want to go with Oklahoma they say they played a better team in the championship and that last data point moves them ahead of Utah when there was very little margin going into the games. Style points and margin of victory are going to matter.

As an example, if the committee had put Oklahoma a spot ahead of Utah after last week it would have been really hard for them to justify moving Utah back ahead this week if they both won with Oklahoma playing the higher ranked team. Unless Utah won in a blowout or Oklahoma won in a game they didn't look good in or had a controversial ending.

Thanks for this take. I was getting pretty sick of the “If they both win Utah is in! It’s been predetermined for weeks!” takes.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I didn't understand this last week and still don't. Utah is #5 and OU is #6. If they both win their CCGs Utah is in. The Playoff Committee has been telegraphing this for weeks.

If there was an argument to be had for ranking OU higher than UU it's moot now. Utah MUST lose for OU to get in.

OU will leap frog Utah with a win. There just isn't enough there for the committee to give Utah the nod.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
How can you say you are in the same conference if you play each other fewer than 4 times every decade?
I'm pretty sure that's a joke. The SEC didn't go to 12 until '90?

EDIT: NO! It's not a joke...WTF???

EDIT #2: According to the internet one of those 32 meetings was in 1928, before they joined the SEC...so only 31 times as conference foes.

Last edited:

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The Ducks are looking good early and looking to go up 14. Oregon coaches surprising the Utes by running Herbert.
Made me wonder if we'll ever see the pump faking running version of Purdy again.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Up 17 on all those UU NFL defensive draft picks, Herbert making some money so far in the first half.

• Agree
Reactions: jdcyclone19