Latrell Bankston Commits

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Can't have the avatar- I stole it first!
giphy.gif

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
Remember in the past we would get a Juco defensive line player, he would show up in August out of shape and not ready to play at all. Maybe contribute a little the last couple games and then have a decent senior year.

CMC is so smart in so many ways. Get a guy like Bankston in here in January, get him on good food, good workouts, good habits. By September he is part of the team and ready to roll. Only take those mid-year guys for DL. So much better.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Remember in the past we would get a Juco defensive line player, he would show up in August out of shape and not ready to play at all. Maybe contribute a little the last couple games and then have a decent senior year.

CMC is so smart in so many ways. Get a guy like Bankston in here in January, get him on good food, good workouts, good habits. By September he is part of the team and ready to roll. Only take those mid-year guys for DL. So much better.

Another side of this is if the kid doesn't pan out, at least you're figuring it out early and not scrambling in August when the guy shows up and can't hack it. I feel like the biggest difference in recruiting with this staff is its more proactive, in the past, we were scooping up the scraps and trying to put the puzzle together. This staff has a plan and they execute.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Tuba Rubin disagrees.

Speaking in absolutes never quite works out how you think it will. Case by case basis.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012
Lima had three years remaining when he signed. That’s the only JC DT he’s signed..,so far. Tongamoa was in the same class as Lima (2 to play 2 whereas lima was a 3 to play 3)

High school DT’s signed would include Jamahl Johnson, Josh Bailey, tucker robertson (signed as a DE) and Isaiah Lee, with a commitment from Willis Singleton Jr. (Has not signed)

I’m not sure what you consider “only a handful” for a position we mainly only play one guy at. Bankston would be icing on the cake.

2 juco DT and 3 HS DT signed in 3 years is pretty slim for a position very difficult to recruit. Only 2 of the 5 have seen a lot of meaningful snaps (both SRs).

Playing a very effective 3 man front has been a life saver for this program. That, and the combination of lima/j. Johnson locking down the nt spot have revolutionized the isu defense

Isu only really plays 2 dt for meaningful snaps most games. If one guy goes down, isu could be in trouble. Cant have too many dts is all im saying. If isu has an injury or 2, they could be in real trouble. Fortunately theyve avoided that for the most part

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
I don't know if the ratings by 247 are better/worse than other sources, but I noted that 247 has young Mr. Bankston at 88. That would tie him for third as one of our highest rated recruits. So I'm going to side with them.

By the way, they rate Cole Pedersen at 90. He looks like a Mike Rose clone, and I will take that.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
2 juco DT and 3 HS DT signed in 3 years is pretty slim for a position very difficult to recruit. Only 2 of the 5 have seen a lot of meaningful snaps (both SRs).

Playing a very effective 3 man front has been a life saver for this program. That, and the combination of lima/j. Johnson locking down the nt spot have revolutionized the isu defense

Isu only really plays 2 dt for meaningful snaps most games. If one guy goes down, isu could be in trouble. Cant have too many dts is all im saying. If isu has an injury or 2, they could be in real trouble. Fortunately theyve avoided that for the most part

I think it's a pretty tough position to project out of HS. Plus if a guy is a ready-made legit college DT coming out of HS, he's likely a high priority recruit from the Alabamas of the world. That's another reason I like the 3 man front. For a place like ISU that's a big ask to have two big-time guys at a highly coveted position in terms of recruiting. We've been fortunate to have Johnson and Lima. Great players in this system. They will be sorely missed. Hopefully Bankston and the young guys can step up.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC

Maybe I’m misremembering, but I seem to remember a decent amount of January enrollees back then as well. I don’t feel like that has really changed all that much with Campbell? I think he just recruits better players that can make an impact?

• Agree
Reactions: cycloneG and Aclone