Tough day for EIU hoops hopes

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We can beat both. We can lose to both. There is no ALWAYS. I've attended losses to Iowa at Hilton. Thank god it's been awhile but nothing is forever. Also thank god that they aren't very good either.

Gun to my head we go 1-1, which is still not good enough.
This isn't a post-season team.
I know they're not always right, but most CBB analysts have us pegged as one. If we're a bubble team we're in the tournament. Prohm and this program have respect and having a possible lottery pick on your team screams $$$ for TV ratings.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
This isn't a post-season team.

Where they are at now, I don't think they are either. That can change IMO. A current bench player or two need to emerge and allow for a 4 small 1 big starting lineup, to oversimplify.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I've been impressed with Fredrick relative to the low expectations. Obviously the 3P% will come back to Earth but he'll be a guy the next few years. Also Toussaint is a decent piece that gives Iowa something they didn't have before with his quickness. He fits nicely when surrounded by shooters.

On the flip side, Wieskamp has been a pretty big disappointment. He's still a really good catch and shoot guy but it doesn't appear he'll ever be a creator. Still early but he has regressed across the board.

A troubling thing I see coming for Iowa will be when Evelyn starts seeing more time when Bohannon shuts it down next Friday. Fran would be wise to remove Evelyn from the rotation completely and invest more time in the young guards - they're all pretty much better than him anyways.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've been impressed with Fredrick relative to the low expectations. Obviously the 3P% will come back to Earth but he'll be a guy the next few years. Also Toussaint is a decent piece that gives Iowa something they didn't have before with his quickness. He fits nicely when surrounded by shooters.

On the flip side, Wieskamp has been a pretty big disappointment. He's still a really good catch and shoot guy but it doesn't appear he'll ever be a creator. Still early but he has regressed across the board.

A troubling thing I see coming for Iowa will be when Evelyn starts seeing more time when Bohannon shuts it down next Friday. Fran would be wise to remove Evelyn from the rotation completely and invest more time in the young guards - they're all pretty much better than him anyways.
My guess is Bohannon shuts it down right after the Iowa State game. There was an article that was posted saying he doesn't even practice anymore due to the pain he has. Bohannon is a key piece to Iowa because he gives Iowa another good three point shooter that can space the floor. Toussaint and Evelyn can't do that even remotely to Bohannon's level.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
If Iowa had Rasir then all you would hear would be sucking sounds from Hawk fans from sucking each other off about how good he is.

• Funny
Reactions: GTO

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
Bolton would be one of the best all around guards to put on an Iowa jersey in a long time.

Bolton has been good so far. He's shown a nice improvement arc from year 1 to year 2. He's going to be a really nice piece to have in the back court the next couple years. The areas I think he can further improve on are his strength defensively as well as perfecting his outside shot.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Bolton has been good so far. He's shown a nice improvement arc from year 1 to year 2. He's going to be a really nice piece to have in the back court the next couple years. The areas I think he can further improve on are his strength defensively as well as perfecting his outside shot.

Plus he is a 4 year guy. Nice piece to have when there is potential with the level of some of the guys Prohm gets to leave early.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Plus he is a 4 year guy. Nice piece to have when there is potential with the level of some of the guys Prohm gets to leave early.
You can see why Bolton was sought after by other good schools after announcing he was leaving PSU. His shot will keep coming along but his athleticism and finishing / ability to get to the rim is phenomenal.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneVet

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I think the Cyclones will be much better in February than they are now. A lot of new pieces, and roles being defined, and guys learning how to play together. This has been the norm for most of Prohm's teams.

I see Bolton improving with each game. Conditt is making it hard for Prohm to take him out, and Young seems to be getting his feet under him after the year off. The one player I have frankly been disappointed in is Nixon.

All of these guys need to be taking 300-400 shots every day, though. Poor shooting will kill this group.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think the Cyclones will be much better in February than they are now. A lot of new pieces, and roles being defined, and guys learning how to play together. This has been the norm for most of Prohm's teams.

I see Bolton improving with each game. Conditt is making it hard for Prohm to take him out, and Young seems to be getting his feet under him after the year off. The one player I have frankly been disappointed in is Nixon.

All of these guys need to be taking 300-400 shots every day, though. Poor shooting will kill this group.
I think a lot of these missed shots have to do with the types of shots they are. I'd like to say 75% of Nixon's missed threes have been poor shot attempts whereas his makes have been in rhythm coming from someone else besides himself.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron