Post season volleyball thread

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Baylor and other southern Big 12 schools probably were less affected by the Nebraska move. That said, Baylor is just an unusual case. Their hitter Pressley is amazing, national player of year caliber. They could be almost average without her. Her elite play makes everything better for them. Their vb coach probably started talking to Mulkey (wbb coach) to figure out how to recruit, and it doesn't hurt to have the national champs in wbb to point to.

How long has it been since we've had an amazing hitter that teams could not defend? I don't know how much of that might be/have been affected by inconsistency at setter. That's not to say we haven't had some incredibly talented players, we have. But think Victoria Henson, Carly Jenson, they were unstoppable types. Interestingly, Jenson may have stayed in the shadows had Hockaday not been lost to injury for a season. She was forced to play and played at an elite level. I always wondered whether the coaches missed it, or she just really ran with the opportunity. Many players since then have been very special but not quite as unstoppable.

p.s. Speaking of facilities, anyone else remember watching ISU vb matches in the Ames High gym one year when Hilton was flooded? The noise and energy in the smaller venue were remarkable.

went to one of those early in the season - actually 2 or 3 games maybe. One of the early tourneys. That was the year Hockaday got hurt, wasn't it?

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
The selection surprised me too, but this is a good start to next season. I love Eleanor but she is not a dominating presence which is needed in post-season tourney play.
Why I state Eleanor is not a dominating presence, you will not find her in these stats-Official Big 12. Like I said I love her play but she is not a dominating player. She is good all-around, and one of my favorites, but to be honest the stats don't lie.
Individual Leaders
Kills per set #
Y Pressley
Baylor 5.52
E Hill
Texas Tech 4.23
M White
Texas 4.02
A Dunbar
Oklahoma 3.84
L Eggleston
Texas 3.51
Complete leaders
Kills #
E Hill
Texas Tech 491
Y Pressley
Baylor 458
A Dunbar
Oklahoma 349
M White
Texas 342
B Carlson
Kansas St. 309
Complete leaders
Hitting Percentage #
B Butler
Texas .422
S Stafford
Baylor .365
S Fields
Texas .330
C Herrera
Iowa St. .317
P Williams
Kansas St. .314
Complete leaders
Blocks per set #
B Butler
Texas 1.62
B Kadiku
Oklahoma 1.34
K McGhee
Baylor 1.31
R Langs
Kansas 1.15
Z Hill
Kansas 1.07
Complete leaders
Digs per set #
K Kinley
Oklahoma 5.00
A Hasting
West Virginia 4.18
E Solano
Texas Tech 4.01
D Kuck
Kansas St. 3.66
A Nelson
Kansas 3.59
Complete leaders
Digs #
K Kinley
Oklahoma 475
E Solano
Texas Tech 457
A Hasting
West Virginia 451
A Nelson
Kansas 345
I Enna
Iowa St. 335
Complete leaders
Service Aces per set #
L Eggleston
Texas 0.55
M White
Texas 0.34
M Schuler
Iowa St. 0.32
B Kadiku
Oklahoma 0.29
P Mauck
Iowa St. 0.26
Complete leaders
Assists per set #
H Lockin
Baylor 11.38
J Gabriel
Texas 10.46
P Mauck
Iowa St. 10.36
L Zerwas
West Virginia 10.33
A Kirby
Texas Tech 10.22
Complete leaders

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Matches begin tonight (Long Beach State hosts the first two of the NIVC). Everything else gets underway tomorrow. I think this will be a fun tournament season. :D

• Optimistic
Reactions: StClone

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
I see the need for a smaller venue but, I don't believe that it is a reason for the program decline

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
Definitely glad to see El practicing! Has anyone heard anything since the last match about her status? I don't even see wrap/brace on any ankle.

If she's a full go, I like our chances in this match. There will be service errors, but as long as we can get them out of system or get a few aces here and there they are worth it.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
ISU would do well to mirror that facility for the Trice/Hilton development project. I don't think it needs to exceed 4K capacity and that facility can obviously be used for multiple purposes in addition to ISU VB and WR such as ISU camps, HS BB/VB/WR, Club BB/VB/WR events, alumni events, etc. on a year round basis that support the nearby hotel and restaurants.

Nope when we are good we would outdraw that easily. IMO capacity of 7-8000 would be better, unless your willing to rotate bigger games to Hilton. Limiting fan seating availability isn't a good thing. These aren't sports that are revenue drivers so any attendance they can get is just a bonus to improve the atmosphere.

For a simpler much less expensive solution would be to by a full set of curtains to close the balcony off. and sell out the lower bowl, then have the capacity to open it up for big meets and the hosting of the NCAA's.

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
The first day of NCAA tournament games is nearly done, or as far as I can tell from the updates. Only a couple interesting things to note so far: Oklahoma got swept by Rice, 18, 22, 19; and Florida State lost to UCF in 5, with the fifth set being decided by 7 points. #2 seed Texas won handily over Albany in three, 9, 16, 15.

• Informative
Reactions: Acylum

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Nope when we are good we would outdraw that easily. IMO capacity of 7-8000 would be better, unless your willing to rotate bigger games to Hilton. Limiting fan seating availability isn't a good thing. These aren't sports that are revenue drivers so any attendance they can get is just a bonus to improve the atmosphere.
Your logic certainly isn't in alignment with many of the best programs (and venues) in the country at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. 5K max would be sufficient and if demand justifies it, charge more to get in (student excepted).

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Your logic certainly isn't in alignment with many of the best programs (and venues) in the country at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, etc. 5K max would be sufficient and if demand justifies it, charge more to get in (student excepted).

Nice that you selectively edited my full post and left off my solution. Glad you like to spend other peoples money.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Nice that you selectively edited my full post and left off my solution. Glad you like to spend other peoples money.
I didn't think much of your cheesy curtain solution so I deleted it.

As posted before, a new venue would serve multiple purposes in addition to ISU VB, Wrestling and Gymnastics. It would serve as a year round stimulus of business for the nearby planned hotel and restaurants Add in a naming rights deal and other non-AD funding sources, I think the venue is a realistic, fiscally responsible solution to boost all 3 programs and add significant value to the entire development.

Here's an update to the facility being built in Coralville: https://www.press-citizen.com/story...signs-contract-midamerican-energy/2618424001/

Last edited:

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I didn't think much of your cheesy curtain solution so I deleted it.

As posted before, a new venue would serve multiple purposes in addition to ISU VB, Wrestling and Gymnastics. It would serve as a year round stimulus of business for the nearby planned hotel and restaurants Add in a naming rights deal and other non-AD funding sources, I think the venue is a realistic, fiscally responsible solution to boost all 3 programs and add significant value to the entire development.

Here's an update to the facility being built in Coralville: https://www.press-citizen.com/story...signs-contract-midamerican-energy/2618424001/

Make your investment big spender.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Make your investment big spender.
Big dollars are already planned to be spent for the entire development without the facility and based on the info I’ve read, it is unclear how exactly it will be funded. But adding a facility that would generate year round revenues for the project seems like a no brainer incremental investment to me for the entities funding the development.

Last edited:

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA

Not the best news, but definitely glad she’s available. One good thing about Schuler playing at the pins is that they won’t have my film/scouting on her

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
We’re down in set 1 17-21.A little sloppy so far. Serve-receive has got to improve.

free stream on btn+ app btw

CY9008

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2010
West Des Moines, IA
It was a solid year but tonight is not our night. Holthaus not starting moves everyone around and you can tell it’s affecting us big time.