New legal news on ex Olde Main owner

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Met Judge Moore at the capitol this last session. Came away very impressed with her and am glad to have her on the bench in Story County.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
We have another Marty Tirrell situation unfolding here? Amazes me how some guys can get away with screwing over people for so long before things finally come back to bite them.

It doesn't seem like all his legal troubles are biting him yet. He didn't care enough to show up to a court hearing with him being a defendant. He knew it was today, he just ignored it.

I see this story ending in two ways. 1) He sell what ever he has of value (assuming he doesn't have liens placed on his stuff yet) and running to another state or country. 2) He lives life up now and declares bankruptcy later.

• Agree
Reactions: SoapyCy

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We have another Marty Tirrell situation unfolding here? Amazes me how some guys can get away with screwing over people for so long before things finally come back to bite them.

What amazes me is the companies/businesses that allow customers to get that far into debt to them, especially in the go out of business regularly restaurants trade.

"Yeah, I know Acme Cafe owes us $50K but they say they will pay us back the sixth Tuesday of December if we just extend them another $150K. Lets do it, I don't wanta lose that $50K!"

:rolleyes:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Drove down Main Street in Ames today. Sure enough, same truck as in the article was parked in front of the old DG's.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Should have said you're from Sysco

From what I hear, he is there every day. Seems like creditors that want to find him would be able to do so, but apart from mob tactics, it doesn't seem like there is much they can do.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
What amazes me is the companies/businesses that allow customers to get that far into debt to them, especially in the go out of business regularly restaurants trade.

"Yeah, I know Acme Cafe owes us $50K but they say they will pay us back the sixth Tuesday of December if we just extend them another $150K. Lets do it, I don't wanta lose that $50K!"

When Dahl's was folding in the DSM metro, you can't believe the money they owed their vendors/suppliers...

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Honestly every pic I see of him he looks like a homeless guy. Also, said he is representing himself in court. That's good for the folks he screwed over. Def Jail time.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

That's true, but if you cut them off, then they very likely WILL go down, and you are never getting paid back. They can't make any money to pay you back, without food to sell. Really tough situation.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
That's true, but if you cut them off, then they very likely WILL go down, and you are never getting paid back. They can't make any money to pay you back, without food to sell. Really tough situation.

No, as a small business owner that is not a tough decision. Cut your losses as SOON as you know there is a problem. 99% chance your only going to dig a deeper hole.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
No, as a small business owner that is not a tough decision. Cut your losses as SOON as you know there is a problem. 99% chance your only going to dig a deeper hole.

Once you've decided they are going under, yes, its easy, cut your losses.

But the calculus on 100% chance to lose $50k, versus a ??% chance to lose $100k if you allow credit... that's more guess work and gut feel.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Once you've decided they are going under, yes, its easy, cut your losses.

But the calculus on 100% chance to lose $50k, versus a ??% chance to lose $100k if you allow credit... that's more guess work and gut feel.
And your "true" cash loss isn't the $50k...it's your cost. I'm guessing everything is at least 100% markup so you're truly losing $25k and not $50k.