New restaurant planned for Olde Main

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
This might be a deterrent to someone who has already proven they know how to put their own restaurant together:

A Monk’s Franchise and facility can cost between $1,000,000 and $4,000,000 to open including the Franchise fee, equipment, inventories, leasehold improvements, and the first three month’s operating capital.
I think that may be in the ball park. Definite negative if Whiskey River has a history of self directed success. Why bother.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
They are different but with similar feel. They look at the surrounding city environment, community, needs, trends and long-term commitment. It is the management and creativity you franchise into. Their menu is very nice and the one drawback may be that they are medium high price.

Do you work for Monk's?

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
On a somewhat related note, how is Jethro's doing?

Jethro's isn't a franchise though. It is a locally own restaurant with multiple locations. There is no vacuum of local money flowing out of central Iowa economy out to some out of state corporate headquarters.

wgleason

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
They are different but with similar feel. They look at the surrounding city environment, community, needs, trends and long-term commitment. It is the management and creativity you franchise into. Their menu is very nice and the one drawback may be that they are medium high price.

You can get a cheeseburger anywhere. People come to Monk's for the attitiude and the atmosphere

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
Jethro's isn't a franchise though. It is a locally own restaurant with multiple locations. There is no vacuum of local money flowing out of central Iowa economy out to some out of state corporate headquarters.
I realize that, but there are multiple locations though. That's why I said a somewhat related note. Just curious to know how they were doing. The last few times I have been in there it wasn't really busy.

• Friendly
Reactions: capitalcityguy

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
I realize that, but there are multiple locations though. That's why I said a somewhat related note. Just curious to know how they were doing. The last few times I have been in there it wasn't really busy.
According to the owner Jethros is doing just fine.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that may be in the ball park. Definite negative if Whiskey River has a history of self directed success. Why bother.

Yeah, I don't think that there would be any need to pay a franchise fee when they seem to know what they are doing already. Just visit a few places, steal a concept and put your own name on it.

• Friendly
Reactions: StClone

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Yeah, I don't think that there would be any need to pay a franchise fee when they seem to know what they are doing already. Just visit a few places, steal a concept and put your own name on it.

mcdowells-restaurant-comingtoamerica.jpg