Is Lewis injured because

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
difference is Warren used 1/85th of the allotted scholarships and had shown flashes of being a really good big 12 player (albeit on a bad team)

Lewis uses 1/13th and has never shown he can be anything more than a role player on a bad team
did you just ratio me

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The fascination of scholarship players who aren't in the rotation by our fan base is mind boggling

The basketball forum is 10X as dumb as the football forum. The football forum has a fair share of game thread overreactions but cannot compete with the shear idiocy of the basketball forums. It's both entertaining and perplexing.

Last edited:

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
The basketball forum is 10X as dumb as the football forum. The football forum has a fair share of game thread overreactions but cannot compete with the shear idiocy of the basketball forums. It both entertaining and perplexing.
Yep. Thank goodness Fred didn't coach FB too...

Also, BB is much easier to feel like you know what's going on and should happen, with so many fewer players.

• Agree
Reactions: jcyclonee

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Play Lewis is definitely NOT a hill I’ll die on. Here are the facts from last night that make people question this team and lineup.

1 shot attempt between Grill, Jackson in a combined 35 minutes of action. 23% from 3 for the team. If these are our guys, Prohm needs to get better at creating open shots.
EDIT: this was a close game until like 4 mins left. Credit to Prohm for being able to exploit KCs weakness to get us over the hump but this game should not have been close.

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I will ask more questions, then. Do you think the coach of a major college program is purposefully not playing someone who could help him win games? How many practices have you watched? And would you feel better if prohm just came out and stated the reasons Terrence isn’t getting any regular run?

I have absolutely no clue why you are asking me these questions. I was merely saying that it's not crazy for people to wonder why he isn't playing. He was highly rated and played young. It's natural for people to assume that those types of players will play later on. Perhaps you misunderstood?

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
It happens all the time in recruiting. Some guys are probably rated too highly, while some guys are rated too lowly. Some guys never excel their game while others improve drastically. That's why recruiting is very hard, especially at schools like Iowa State. It's hit or miss. We have a guy on our team currently that was a 3-star and is now getting talked about as one of the most dynamic players in the nation and a projected lottery pick, but I'm sure the upset fans aren't bringing that into consideration when discussing Prohm's recruiting tactics. That or the fact that we have the best recruiting class in Iowa State history coming next year.
Next years class is not the best in ISU history. Tim Floyd had the #2 recruiting class in '97. LE had the #2 recruiting class in I think '02(Haluska, Vroman , Barnes, Harper, etc.) and I'm almost positive the class with Stinson and Blaylock was top 10.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
It's the 21st century, man, and this isn't as compelling as complicated conspiracy theories. ;)

The Cave on here is basically a series of competing conspiracy theories.

Hanlon's Razor is in full effect --

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Play Lewis is definitely NOT a hill I’ll die on. Here are the facts from last night that make people question this team and lineup.

1 shot attempt between Grill, Jackson in a combined 35 minutes of action. 23% from 3 for the team. If these are our guys, Prohm needs to get better at creating open shots.
EDIT: this was a close game until like 4 mins left. Credit to Prohm for being able to exploit KCs weakness to get us over the hump but this game should not have been close.

Prohm hung onto lineups with Jackson, Grill, Griffin, and Conditt out there way more than he needed to. I think that was intentional. He could have put the starters back out there, but I thought he was trying something and challenging those guys to go out and win the game... considering it was close until a few minutes remaining.

It was engineered to be close and more about trying something and giving those young guys some live-fire, close-game experience than trying to blow UMKC out.

• Winner
Reactions: Kurttr

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
The Cave on here is basically a series of competing conspiracy theories.

Hanlon's Razor is in full effect --

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Prohm hung onto lineups with Jackson, Grill, Griffin, and Conditt out there way more than he needed to. I think that was intentional. He could have put the starters back out there, but I thought he was trying something and challenging those guys to go out and win the game... considering it was close until a few minutes remaining.

It was engineered to be close and more about trying something and giving those young guys some live-fire, close-game experience than trying to blow UMKC out.
I think it was because our starters (even Hali at times) were playing terrible basketball.

• Winner
Reactions: Kurttr

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I think it was because our starters (even Hali at times) were playing terrible basketball.

True enough -- could be a bit of both.

The starters were not complete trash, though. Haliburton was turning the ball over a lot, but Jacobson had a strong first half and Bolton had a very strong second.

upload_2019-12-5_13-49-3.png

That is really not that bad in the end.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Don't forget that KC has 11 players they play regularly and they were determined to get their money's worth in the foul department. They played hands on and physical and were willing to trade some fouls for some stops. But in the second half it caught up with them especially when ISU decided they would shoot free throws like Bill Fennelly was coaching them. ISU went for minutes on end with the only scoring coming from the free throw line and maintained the lead.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Dealsgap

Dec 2, 2019
Louisville, KY
I've heard the team doesn't practice in Hilton. If true, perhaps the visual in Hilton is different enough to explain the poor home court shooting. Having said that, I was in the Bahamas last week and our 3 point shooting was abysmal in two of three games...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Don't forget that KC has 11 players they play regularly and they were determined to get their money's worth in the foul department. They played hands on and physical were willing to trade some fouls for some stops. But in the second half it caught up with them especially when ISU decided they would shoot free throws like Bill Fennelly was coaching them. ISU went for minutes on end with the only scoring coming from the free throw line and maintained the lead.

The best version of Bolton is the version that...

-- drives hard
-- draws contact, ideally finishes through it
-- gets fouled in the process
-- drains free throws (career 126/146 for 86%)

...not the one clanking threes and not getting fouled on jump shots.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
The fascination of scholarship players who aren't in the rotation by our fan base is mind boggling
I understand ‘who should start’ and ‘how many minutes rotation guys should get’. I don’t get the ‘11th guy should be 10th guy’ discussions.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
The Mike Warren of basketball.

The Mike Warren crowd is able to hang their hats on his freshmen year which saw him accomplish the following:
First-Team Freshman All-American- Sporting News, USA Today, Athlon’s, Scout, FWAA (2015)
Big 12 Offensive Freshman of the Year (2015)
Big 12 Newcomer of the Year- AP (2015)
Third-Team All-Big 12 – Phil Steele (2015)
Honorable Mention All-Big 12 - Coaches (2015)
ESPN.com Big 12 All-Underclassman (2015)
Doak Walker Watch List (2015, 2016)
Ray Scott Outstanding Offensive Skill Player (2015)

What is the Terrance Lewis crowd hanging their hat on? Those two games, two years ago, when the team was not only bad but had multiple starters out of the lineup due to injury so by necessity he played 30 minutes and scored a dozen points. Or, is it because he has a career 3pt% hovering just under 30% and people are frustrated by the team's shooting.

Look at the liability though. His assist to turnover ratio is 1 assist for every 2.1 turnovers. And at his sub-30% shooting, for every 10 possessions in which he gets a 3-shot, he scores 9 points, but his defense gives up 15 points on the other end (speculation).

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Is Lewis turning into the basketball version of Bo Williams on CF? Remember how infatuated people were with Bo and why he wasn't playing? Seems like the Lewis discussion has a bit of that going on too lately.

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
i dont fault Prohm for Lewis, Long, or Carter. All were decently ranked kid with solid offers. Plus TJ identified Lweis and he's had some hits in the past

i do you fault Prohm for Leech, Anderson, Kasongo and Ernst. I don't know how anyone could look at those kids and think they were P5 level players.

So do fault Coach K or Calipari for their recruiting misses? They only sign Top 50 players and miss. If recruiting was straightforward you wouldn't have players at schools like Murray State or Davison in the NBA.

The reality for a school like ISU if the coach is wrong 50% of the time he has done a solid job. More important than the misses are the Mitrou Longs, Njaing and Halliburtons.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Next years class is not the best in ISU history. Tim Floyd had the #2 recruiting class in '97. LE had the #2 recruiting class in I think '02(Haluska, Vroman , Barnes, Harper, etc.) and I'm almost positive the class with Stinson and Blaylock was top 10.
Floyd's class didn't make it to campus.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
So do fault Coach K or Calipari for their recruiting misses? They only sign Top 50 players and miss. If recruiting was straightforward you wouldn't have players at schools like Murray State or Davison in the NBA.

The reality for a school like ISU if the coach is wrong 50% of the time he has done a solid job. More important than the misses are the Mitrou Longs, Njaing and Halliburtons.