Random Thoughts the 13th: Jason Takes RTT

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I never understood why soldiers would have their hand stuffed in their jacket for photos. Were they that itchy?
source.gif

Reactions: BCClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
drive home last night I get about 2 miles from the house and notice the eau de farm faintly through my barely functioning nose. With all the tractors hustling and all the corn that had disappeared in 24 hours, I knew what was going on.

Putting monkey to bed reading FB later and I see the neighborhood group has a thread about WHAT IS THAT SMELL and had already called the gas company and the fire department. Then someone is like "this happened last year too!!"

You don't say.

Eventually someone more diplomatic than I told them what it was.

Can smell it early winter here and I am like three miles from downtown Mpls. Not even sure the distance as the smell flies to the nearest farm west of here but it's gotta be 15 plus miles. Everything else directly west is urban, lakes or wetlands out at least that far.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I wonder if it is a community college thing. MrsWx and I have not been impressed with her department staff at Kirkwood.
I'm a bit biased, as my wife works as part of the office staff in the department I belong to.
From my talks with her, the variability in department staff is like any other large business. There are definitely departments that are on top of things and are killing it, and there are others with issues.
I'm very fortunate to have a very supportive office staff that help me accomplish some really awesome work outside my normal teaching duties.

Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I'm a bit biased, as my wife works as part of the office staff in the department I belong to.
From my talks with her, the variability in department staff is like any other large business. There are definitely departments that are on top of things and are killing it, and there are others with issues.
I'm very fortunate to have a very supportive office staff that help me accomplish some really awesome work outside my normal teaching duties.

Good, fair point.
The Culinary Institute at DMACC is exceptionally friendly and professional. I failed on that one.
Everywhere else, pretty shaky thus far.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Good, fair point.
The Culinary Institute at DMACC is exceptionally friendly and professional. I failed on that one.
Everywhere else, pretty shaky thus far.
I think this goes deeper, as you have adjunct status right?
I think it's endemic to the culture.
Adjunct support at community colleges is mostly hot garbage. I've seen it with my own eyes. I adjuncted for a few years before moving back to IA, and my wife adjuncted for 5 years.
Y'all are given the least amount of support where arguably the most support is required.
Since turnover is high (surprise!) I've watch staff and faculty treat adjunct faculty as seat fillers and not educated colleagues. It's disgusting.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

Good points. Our issues are mostly with teach styles (lots of go online and watch this recorded lecture then come to class and do a worksheet) a long with either bad policies or policies just to have policies. Much different than ISU thus far and quite frustrating.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Good points. Our issues are mostly with teach styles (lots of go online and watch this recorded lecture then come to class and do a worksheet) a long with either bad policies or policies just to have policies. Much different than ISU thus far and quite frustrating.
That sounds like the "flipped classroom" approach, but not executed very well.
Unfortunate, as it's really designed to have deeper more meaningful discussions or problem solving done in the class.

• Informative
Reactions: wxman1

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I think this goes deeper, as you have adjunct status right?
I think it's endemic to the culture.
Adjunct support at community colleges is mostly hot garbage. I've seen it with my own eyes. I adjuncted for a few years before moving back to IA, and my wife adjuncted for 5 years.
Y'all are given the least amount of support where arguably the most support is required.
Since turnover is high (surprise!) I've watch staff and faculty treat adjunct faculty as seat fillers and not educated colleagues. It's disgusting.

Sure do. I'd agree with all of that.
Most of the people I have these encounters with don't specifically know that I'm an adjunct, but they can probably assume it on the basis of asking new guy questions or the fact that they hadn't seen me before.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
@Entropy: I should add here that I have some goals if I'm lucky enough to land a real job, full-time and all, at a school that employs adjuncts.

These are primarily things like offering a private workspace, like loaning my office if need be, and establishing a printer or something they can use in order to get things printed off, including the idea that they can e-mail me and I'll have it waiting for them.

With this job market, it probably doesn't matter, but it sounds nice.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
@Entropy: I should add here that I have some goals if I'm lucky enough to land a real job, full-time and all, at a school that employs adjuncts.

These are primarily things like offering a private workspace, like loaning my office if need be, and establishing a printer or something they can use in order to get things printed off, including the idea that they can e-mail me and I'll have it waiting for them.

With this job market, it probably doesn't matter, but it sounds nice.

It's crazy to think that those types of necessities for the job aren't provided.
We're fortunate at Kirkwood that we have an office space specifically for our adjuncts and it comes with computer and printer access (at least in the Math/Science department).
When my wife was an adjunct, often times she would set up shop in my office because it wasn't always that way.

• Winner
Reactions: BCClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
I'm not saying this article is untrue, but does all farming end at Iowa's southern border? Is there no agriculture in Missourah that could contribute to the odor? This article puts all blame on Iowa and Minnesota.
I just liked the way it was worded. "You Smelt it, Iowa Dealt it"

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
It's crazy to think that those types of necessities for the job aren't provided.
We're fortunate at Kirkwood that we have an office space specifically for our adjuncts and it comes with computer and printer access (at least in the Math/Science department).
When my wife was an adjunct, often times she would set up shop in my office because it wasn't always that way.

There's an office space available, but that's in Ankeny.
Teaching a night class, I won't make it to the print shop.
Of course, since DMACC doesn't start paying until week 6 or 7 of a course, I don't pay to print stuff at home for anybody, and spend the time I would use prepping working anywhere that actually pays.

I get that there are cases where adjuncting can actually be good, like bringing in an expert in something that's employed within that industry or something, but it's evil as a way of treating the regular faculty.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I need to call my sister in the next day or two to try and get plans made for cleaning out the house. Being that they are staying there for my niece's wedding I would like to get the consignment people scheduled to pick up everything the Monday afterwards.

She needs a truckload of stuff driven from Virginia to Connecticut. She was talking about hiring someone, I think that would be crazy expensive, I told her if she wants to do a U-Haul one way I could fly out to Roanoke, drive it back to Ct. then fly back from there.

You, sir, are a credit to this thread.

And I mean that sincerely.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Can smell it early winter here and I am like three miles from downtown Mpls. Not even sure the distance as the smell flies to the nearest farm west of here but it's gotta be 15 plus miles. Everything else directly west is urban, lakes or wetlands out at least that far.

Dead fish? There are 10,000, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.