2019-20 FB Coaching Carousel & Rumors

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Yeah, putting him at Arkansas or FSU would for sure be entertaining for everyone but I'm not sure he'd fare well in a spot with higher expectations and more scrutiny.

I think he'd have a better shot at Arkansas but for the life of me, can't see him participating in a whoa pig. I think FSU would be too much pressure, that coach is going to be expected to win right away. That program has big issues and is going to be a longer rebuild. I think FSU goes the way of Nebraska post Pelini, they'll make a crap hire, fire him in a couple of years bc of unrealistic expectations and then repeat until they find their guy or reality hits that they aren't what they once were.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Does the leeway really get reduced at the top? Look at what coaches get away with when at the top. In either case it’s about winning. I don’t see a reason to think Leech would have trouble turning around an Arkansas or FSU, and therefore would be the top dog.
There's a ton more media attention, and he wouldn't be able to control it as much as he can in Pullman. He's not a guy who likes having to defend his decisions, and already has an adversarial, at times, relationship with the Wazzou press. That only gets magnified on a bigger stage. Imagine if he was at FSU and tried his "they recruit better than us" reasoning for continued losing to Florida, like he did with his lack of success in the Egg Bowl. The FSU media and fans would be super vocal about it, and he wouldn't have the same ability to cast those concerns aside.

I think there's are some very good reasons Mike hasn't taken a job on a bigger stage. Part of it is probably because ADs probably see him as a bit of a headache. And another part is probably his own desires to stay in a place where he is able to exert more control.

• Agree
Reactions: heitclone and g4ce

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
There's a ton more media attention, and he wouldn't be able to control it as much as he can in Pullman. He's not a guy who likes having to defend his decisions, and already has an adversarial, at times, relationship with the Wazzou press. That only gets magnified on a bigger stage. Imagine if he was at FSU and tried his "they recruit better than us" reasoning for continued losing to Florida, like he did with his lack of success in the Egg Bowl. The FSU media and fans would be super vocal about it, and he wouldn't have the same ability to cast those concerns aside.
Winning coaches at top programs aren’t needing to defend themselves any more imo. It’s all a matter of how successful one thinks he’d be. I think he’d earn a ton of leeway turning around Arkansas and FSU.

He got fired from TT, so that’s the bar.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
He's good there because he's pretty unassailable. He can be King of Pullman. Put him in a place where the expectations are higher and I don't think he would handle it as well. I like Mike, but it's pretty clear he likes to be the top dog and doesn't always react the greatest when questioned. I think he does his best work bringing relevance to places that don't normally have much. I'm not sure that he'd be afforded the same "reverence" at a place like FSU, where they have been on top of the hill recently

I think to add to this, going to a place like FSU or an SEC school, where it seems the boosters run the place would prevent Leach from achieving his full potential. The boosters would probably want walk their new pony around because its all a game of outdoing their other rich friends. I don't think Leach would want to take part in that and would blow the boosters off, rubbing them the wrong way. I just don't see Leach being involved with an SEC or blue blood type program because of the booster control over them.

Look at Texas, it looks like the boosters told Herman who to fire; its probably the same at other places too. A coach is not in control of their program in that kind of environment.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Winning coaches at top programs aren’t needing to defend themselves any more imo. It’s all a matter of how successful one thinks he’d be. I think he’d earn a ton of leeway turning around Arkansas and FSU.

He got fired from TT, so that’s the bar.

That's simply not true.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4344306002
The Michigan media has been all over Harbaugh this season. Picture Leach in that scenario. It's a lot different than what he has to endure in Pullman.

All I'm saying is that Mike seems to be a guy who likes to be in control of his surroundings. He revels in his press conferences and it makes for some great soundbytes. I think there's part of him that doesn't want to go to a larger stage where expectations and scrutiny are magnified, and that's part of the reason why we've never seen him seriously in play for those types of jobs

• Agree
Reactions: Snydes

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Look at Texas, it looks like the boosters told Herman who to fire; its probably the same at other places too. A coach is not in control of their program in that kind of environment.
You think if Texas has been better than 7-5 the boosters would be involved?

Leech would have trouble at any place if he’s bad, and he did get fired in a power play at TT. It doesn’t matter the job

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
That's simply not true.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/4344306002
All I'm saying is that Mike seems to be a guy who likes to be in control of his surroundings. He revels in his press conferences and it makes for some great soundbytes. I think there's part of him that doesn't want to go to a larger stage where expectations and scrutiny are magnified, and that's part of the reason why we've never seen him seriously in play for those types of jobs
I said any more. Leech has gotten equally as testy at WSU and TT. Harbaugh beats OSU and he could murder someone.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
You think if Texas has been better than 7-5 the boosters would be involved?

Leech would have trouble at any place if he’s bad, and he did get fired in a power play at TT. It doesn’t matter the job

Leach was got fired from Tech because he abused a player, who was also an ESPN analyst or something driving the narrative on TV. It was also a time when several coaches got fired due to mistreating their players. If I remember from back then, I think Tech got rid of him due to other schools doing the same thing and to prevent any additional negative news. I am unsure if the player actually filed a lawsuit against Tech.

What details do you have regarding a power play at Tech? I only remember the Leach abusing a player story at the time.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006

I think there's are some very good reasons Mike hasn't taken a job on a bigger stage. Part of it is probably because ADs probably see him as a bit of a headache. And another part is probably his own desires to stay in a place where he is able to exert more control.

I think you have your PAC and SEC rivalries mixed up.

• Informative
Reactions: isu81

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Leach was got fired from Tech because he punished a player who was mentally weak and acted entitled, and who's DAD was also an enabler of his son's piss poor attitude, was a reason why a school got the Death Penalty and who was also an ESPN analyst. It was also a time when several coaches got fired due to mistreating their players. If I remember from back then, I think Tech got rid of him due to other schools doing the same thing and to prevent any additional negative news. I am unsure if the player actually filed a lawsuit against Tech.

What details do you have regarding a power play at Tech? I only remember the Leach abusing a player story at the time.

FIFY

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
He's good there because he's pretty unassailable. He can be King of Pullman. Put him in a place where the expectations are higher and I don't think he would handle it as well. I like Mike, but it's pretty clear he likes to be the top dog and doesn't always react the greatest when questioned. I think he does his best work bringing relevance to places that don't normally have much. I'm not sure that he'd be afforded the same "reverence" at a place like FSU, where they have been on top of the hill recently
I tend to agree but would still like to see it

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Kirk Ferentz has the greatest job in America. Why would he even want to go anywhere else? Doesn't have to win big, gets to give his kids high paying jobs, runs the AD. No fan base in America awards mediocrity more than Iowa, and so there is no stress when your schedule essentially hands you five wins every year. Dude has it made.
I would kill for the level of "mediocrity" that Iowa has had under Ferentz.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA

giphy.gif